• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone know where I can find a 160mm case fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark_15

Drunken Master JNCIE Senior
I think the title says it all... any ideas? Thx every1!

I haven't found too many 160mm fans, but if you look at 172mm fans there are quite a few great fans out there. Acid.fly asked me the same question a while back, so look at this thread and check out my links. LINK

here's the specific fans that I wanted to show you... look at the ones at the top LINK

Thx for the info... I don't think my case can fit a 172 mm fan... how about a 160mm adapter to fit a 120 mm fan? thx for the help!

If it can fit a 160, it can probably fit a 172...it's only .6cm bigger on each side. Measure your case and see if it'll fit. That 172mm that Acid.fly picked out is one of the nicest 172's I've seen so far. It takes as much power as most 92mm fans and puts out 180cfms, any fan controller should be able to handle it, so you can turn it down... even though it wasn't very loud.

Most 160's I looked at were louder and required more power than a normal rheostat could support. What case do you have?

I'm still waiting on that friggen fan.. :(

Goodluck... most 172mm are $40, which is friggen ridiculous... I've been on the end-less journey looking for 160mm DC fans that don't consume 80 gigawatts, and don't blow walls down...

-Frank

Fans are messured by the mounting surface, most 172mm fans are 172 x 150 x5?. If you can fit a 160 I'm sure you have a bit of room in one direction.

You may be able to find an AC fan cheaper, start it with a relay at system boot and control it with a light dimmer.

Here's what my setup looks like so far... how would I mount a 172mm fan in here??? The case is a Raidmax 868

after.jpg

If push comes to shove, make a fan plate and bolt or rivet it to the front of the case to mount your fan..Put some silicon sealer between the 2 pieces of metal before tightening or riveting..This will reduce any vibrations and make the joints stronger..
Keep your flow up & temps down.:cool:

That's about identical to my case as well.. as you can see it is also a raidmax case, which also would fit perfectly. I just need to find the right fan, at the right price.

-Frank

Where could I find a power supply for this?

340 CFM
115 VAC
• Used ROTRON “Tarzan” fan. High volume, 340 CFM, at low noise. Operates on 115 VAC, 1.5 amps. Thermal protection. Cont. duty ball bearing motor. 3350 RPM. Flame retardant polycarbonate housing. Size 7" x 7" x 4". Shpg. 5 lbs.

Plug it into the wall socket..:)

archilochus said:
Plug it into the wall socket..:)

If you want to get fancy. Cut a hole in the back of your case and insert an a male IEC AC Plug (The same type you plug you AC cord into your power supply .) in the back of it .

Using insulated spade connectors or solder and heatshrink (Depends on the recepticle you buy.).Connect a length of Black wire to the left connection on the back of the plug. Ensure there is no bare wire showing

Repeat and connect white wire to the right connection.

(The bottom connection is a ground. Since your Case is already grounded through your power supply do not connect a wire to this and attempt to chassis ground it to your case. This can result in a ground loop and cause all sorts of problems.)

Next connect your wires to the plug run a white(neutral) to your fan directly.

Get a SPDT (Single Pull Double Throw) Relay with a 12VDC coil.

and pick a spot to mount it somewhere in your case. Preferably away from the motherboard and your other DC components. Be sure when you are doing the below wiring you leave enough slack in the wire to mount your relay in the desired location.

Take the black wire from your plug and connect it to either terminal number 1 (NEMA Relay) or terminal number 11 (IEC Relay) then take another length of wire and run it from terminal 3 (NEMA) or 13(IEC) and connect the other end to your fan.

Next take a "wye" connector that you normally use in your PC to split the 12VDC connectors and clip the plug off one end (make sure it's the end that you would normally plug into a device. (AKA the Female connector).

Clip the Red wire and adajacent Black wire flush with the back of the plug.

Strip the ends of the yellow and remaining black wires and connect the Yellow to the number 2 Terminal (NEMA) or the "+" (IEC)
Connect the black to the number 7 (Terminal) or the "-" (IEC).

Lastly get some silicon and fill in the holes where the other 2 wires you clipped reside in.

Allow to cure for 24 hours.

Then fire it up. When ever you turn on or turn off the computer the fan will start and stop.

You should be able to pick up all the above parts for less then $30 (US) total.

Unless you want the deluxe model in that case wire in a dimmer switch on the black wire between the relay and the fan for speed control. and add another $10 bucks or so to the cost.

Parts list

6 feet 14 AWG Black wire
6 feet 14 AWG White wire
1 IEC AC Cord
1 IEC AC Recepticle
1 SPDT 12VDC Coil Relay (DPDT will work also doesn't matter you only need 1 contact)
1 115VAC AC Fan
1 tube silicon potting compound

soldering iron solder and heat shrink or Spade connectors (depends on the Reecpitcle).

That's not going to be running at full power obviously.. and electron -- do you have an electrical diagram and/or images of the things I am going to need? This is something I can use on all future systems so it might be worth learning about...

Thanks,
Frank

Back