• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aorus Z390 Elite overclocking 8600K need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SAlNT

I am using Aorus for the first time and it seems different from the Asus i am used to.
Is it possible for some one to assist with setting for 5ghz.
Setting to input and what needs to be disabled and set to what to what.
I hope this is not asking to much but would really help me.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
At a high level, you will want to raise the power limits to the max in the bios, same with current limits. Then set the multiplier to 50x all cores and set voltage at say 1.35V to start and see if it can pass any stress test (I suggest AIDA64 to start), and see what temps are. You want to keep the temps at 90C or less during stress testing. This depends on your cooler too.

Before more details, can you list your complete system specifications, maybe create a signature with a list of your hardware so we can see it? RAM model/speed, CPU cooler, power supply, case and fan location/function (intake or exhaust). This way we have a big picture view of what is going on.

At a high level, you will want to raise the power limits to the max in the bios, same with current limits. Then set the multiplier to 50x all cores and set voltage at say 1.35V to start and see if it can pass any stress test (I suggest AIDA64 to start), and see what temps are. You want to keep the temps at 90C or less during stress testing. This depends on your cooler too.

Before more details, can you list your complete system specifications, maybe create a signature with a list of your hardware so we can see it? RAM model/speed, CPU cooler, power supply, case and fan location/function (intake or exhaust). This way we have a big picture view of what is going on.

No problem this is what i am working with.
i5 8600k
Corsair Vengeance rgb pro 3200 16G
Aorus Z390 Elite MB
Samsung M.2 ssd 970 evo 500GB X 2
Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI Extreme Edition
Corsair 750 PCU
NZXt kraken x62 280mm AIO

Is that enough info??

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Forgot
Thermaltake view 31 case
3 140 fans pushing through cooling rad up front and 2 280 fan pulling behind rad
140 fan pulling out top of case and 1 140 pulling out back

With Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite you don't have to change the power limits from AUTO. Gigabyte is very generous with power limits and should not throttle even with i9 9900k.

Even with all cores and threads running 5 GHz at 100%? News to me. Raising the power limits isn't going to hurt anything though. I'd do it regardless just in case... but that's me.

Is that enough info??
Yep! (now you should be able to put it in your signature... I would do that at your convenience in case the thread gets long and we can see your rig at every post. :)

Parts look fine... cooling looks fine to handle 5 GHz 1.35 or less volts. That is where I would start.. 5 GHz, all cores/threads and 1.35V. Run a stress test. If it works, lower the voltage to 1.3V, run stress test. Does it work? Lower again to 1.275V, etc... You should be in the 1.3V ballpark at 5 GHz all cores and threads without AVX offset (you can even set that to say -3 to start and work it up later - we'll talk about that in a bit, first things first).

Even with all cores and threads running 5 GHz at 100%? News to me. Raising the power limits isn't going to hurt anything though. I'd do it regardless just in case... but that's me.
Gigabyte is great in that front with my Z370 and Z390 AORUS one extra step you don't have to take is increasing all power limits for 5.0GHz overclock on all cores. I'm subscribed to the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Owners Thread and power limits is not a concern.

So Gigabyte doesn't use recommended Intel settings :) ... Pretty much every other brand has settings for Intel specs so with power limit, then manual also with power limit and profiles or unlocked values at higher or unlocked power limit. At least ASUS, ASRock and MSI have that. I wasn't touching Gigabyte for longer (or not higher series as I sometimes sell their cheap mobos but with lower series processors).
I'm just curious how high is power limit on higher Gigabyte at stock/auto settings. It's because my 9900K is showing 250W under full load at 5GHz ~1.35V with AVX. Default settings should give about 165W, that's a quite big difference.
8600K shouldn't throttle because of the power limit but I'm not sure about 9900K as when it's unlocked then there is no air cooler which will keep it below 95°C under load and most water coolers/AIO won't handle that too.

Flash to latest and greatest

Set XMP profile or set up Ram to desired speed

turn multi to 50

AC/DA LLC set to power savings

CPU LLC turbo - you may be able to turn that back a little later

Set v-core to normal and dynamic to 0.00 - may need to adjust up if it does not boot

turn Intel speed step on or speed shift , whatever they are calling it, this will down clock CPU when not using hard

save and boot

should get you into windows

watch temps to make sure your cooling solution is adequate

So Gigabyte doesn't use recommended Intel settings :) ... Pretty much every other brand has settings for Intel specs so with power limit, then manual also with power limit and profiles or unlocked values at higher or unlocked power limit. At least ASUS, ASRock and MSI have that. I wasn't touching Gigabyte for longer (or not higher series as I sometimes sell their cheap mobos but with lower series processors).
I'm just curious how high is power limit on higher Gigabyte at stock/auto settings. It's because my 9900K is showing 250W under full load at 5GHz ~1.35V with AVX. Default settings should give about 165W, that's a quite big difference.
8600K shouldn't throttle because of the power limit but I'm not sure about 9900K as when it's unlocked then there is no air cooler which will keep it below 95°C under load and most water coolers/AIO won't handle that too.

I asked KedarWolf running Gigabyte AORUS with i9 9900k, when running prime95 did you have to increase the power limits to prevent throttling at 5.1GHz? He said "I max out all the power limits but to be honest don't think I've ever seen throttling on Auto." LINK: https://www.overclock.net/forum/showthread2.php?p=27938256#post27938256

Also when running the i7 9700k at 4.9GHz on all cores with my Gigabyte Z370 HD3, AUTO power limits there was no throttling running prime95.

Throttling or lower power, in general, is default Intel setting as processors like 9900K simply couldn't run stable at reasonable temps on available coolers. It hits TDP and above that throttles. A bit of desperation from Intel side to keep them on top. 9700K is acting a bit different and has lower TDP. There are situations when you can't see constant clock drop but CPU uses less power and performs slightly worse.
I guess we overuse 'throttling' but it's hard to call it otherwise when there are multiple factors which are causing CPUs to cool down.

I'm not saying that Gigabyte doesn't use higher power limit but I simply haven't seen that on ASUS, ASRock, MSI or Supermicro. All these mobos at auto/default settings were meeting Intel specs.
If someone overclocks the CPU in any way then OC series motherboards often set higher power limit, voltages, etc. ( ASUS, ASRock and Supermicro do that, don't remember MSI) I guess it's the case on Gigabyte. Once you set manual CPU multi then in the background can change LLC, default voltages and other things (under auto) till you modify them to manual settings.
To check that, simply run hwinfo64 or other soft at overclocked settings (or at least higher voltage set manually) and check how high wattage is showing the software.

So you back to the 8600K and returned the 9700K?

Last edited:
Yes I returned the silicon lottery i7 9700k because it would not idle or load at 5.0GHz. 4.9GHz worked fine with Z370 HD3 AUTO power limits running prime95, my VRM was a little warm 117c

Maybe even better as it's not a real upgrade in your case. 8600K runs cooler and performs about the same.

I upgraded for the fun of it. I do feel better not spending $400,00 on something I won't use to the fullest potential. You are correct the i5 8600k even at stock clock is fine for the RTX 2070.:D

I will probably sell my 9900K and back to 8086K. 9900K is simply no fun on ambient temps.

Back