• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arrgghhh just torn what little hair I have out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johnson

Registered
Just a little bit stuck here guys.

Just installed Win2k Pro on a MSI 6340 board for a friend its running a 800 Duron and 320k of ram.Updated it to service pack 3 with no problems at all.
Installed the Via drivers that were on the mobo disc 4.27 I think but can check.Then found it would not actually see the cd's as in it saw the pyhsical drive but would not recognise the disc inserted to it.So I updated to 4.43 and now seem to get random lock ups.
I have tried playing in the bios,going back to older Via drivers I have even installed Live drive 2 but when it connects to MSI it says the bios is unavailable for this board :confused: but if I look for it manually it lists loads.
Consequently I dont know which bios to grab as I cannot see a revision on the board.
So any ideas please do you think its a O/S problem or a hardware problem?
I personally think it maybe to do with the usb connection as I installed UT on it for him earlier and had a couple of games and it was fine.
When I connected it to my ADSL modem through the usb I started to get lock ups anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

J(slightly balder now;) )

First of all, are you sure the optical drive works?

As for the BIOS, is it a retail board, or is it from an OEM machine? Looks like Gateway and HP used those boards, so that could be why the MSI utility isn't finding a BIOS update... it might not be an MSI BIOS.

You can tell the revisions apart fairly easily. The 5.0 looks completely different from the older revisions, it's narrower and has the ATX power connector next to the IDE ports, while the older ones have it near the CPU socket. If it's an older revision, does it support running the CPU at 266FSB? The revision 3 does, due to the KM133A chipset, while the 1.0 only had the plain KM133, and could only run 200FSB CPUs. If it's a 1.0 or 3.0, it looks like BIOS 4.7 is the latest. (It appears that it will work for both revisions.)

Also, Win2k SP3... did you try SP4?

The Via drivers were notoriously bad, you often did have to try different versions to get everything to work stably. Maybe try the 5.11a version they have on the MSI site?

Back