• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asking for help to Update old sys with new board, CPU, GPU, & cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vandyo

I am about ready to update my PC with the components below. Have already bought mobo & CPU:

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX
AMD FX-8350 Black Ed
Asus ATI Radeon HD6450 Silence 1 GB DDR3 PCI-ExCard VGA/DVI/HDMI Low Profile
Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i GTX Extreme

I plan to OC, but do not game, so would like to know if the 6450 would be good for processing & video editing.

Also would welcome comments on the cooler as many reviews out there talk about poor quality, but also good performance if you get a good one.

Any help appreciated !

you very likely would be happier with a better GPU. If your budget supports it get the best you can, you wont be sorry. I upgraded from a low powered card to the one in my sig and couldnt be happier.

I cant speak from experience (I air cool, have never had a water cooler at all) but I think the advice ive read about those coolers is alot like what I said about the GPU.... you wont be sorry for spending the extra few buck (or however many it is) to get the "next step up" model. Ive also read quite a bit that the 8 core FX's are a real bear to cool once you start overclocking, so you might appreciate a better cooler. Remeber: Im regurgitating info as far as the cooler goes. Ive never water cooled at all, so do take what I say with a grain of salt.

Thanks knoober, and I agree wirh what you said. I was thinking the 6450 might do the job as I had an integrated 4260 or something like that in my older board. Thanks for the advice

To my knowledge if you run a discreet card (one that is seperate from the onboard) you have an "either/or" option. Either the onboard/integrated or the discreet card. I guess a did see a randome article where there was talk of Crossfire with an integrated GPU, but im not sure how that resolved or if it was even possible.

Once again , this isnt something I have done so take this advice with a grain of salt, but the general advice seems to be to get the best GPU that you can rather than adding 2 lesser cards together in Crossfire/SLI. Im sure the old searchbox could get you some benchmarks to look at so you could see one way or the other.

What kind of video editing do you do? What software? Can that software use the gpu in the first place?

Getting that info would be helpful.

Last edited:
What kind of video editing do you do? What software? Can that software use the gpu in the first place?

Getting that info would be helpful.

Is it not that "rendering" = changing framerate/resolution is GPU based while "encoding" = changing file formats (mpeg -> h.264) is CPU based ?

If on a strict budged, a suggestion, go with the Fx 6300/6350 chip if that will give you more $$ for the Gpu. Additionally it will run a bit cooler compared to the Fx 8350 taking Florida ambient temps into account.

Updating old system

If on a strict budged, a suggestion, go with the Fx 6300/6350 chip if that will give you more $$ for the Gpu. Additionally it will run a bit cooler compared to the Fx 8350 taking Florida ambient temps into account.

I believe I was not clear enough when I stated that I had integrated graphics on my old PC. My new asus m5a99fx does not have integrated graphics & will replace the old one.

I am converting all my dvds & B-Rays to the .mkv format with just the movie & all the b...s... removed & storing them on usb sticks. I can then use them in my B-Ray player hooked to the TV. Depending on size, I can get about 6-10 on a 32gb stick, & they all show up on the tv menu. Works real nice !

I use Matroska tools & stuff to eliminate subs & xtra languages. Also use various converters like dvd fab and winx dvd ripper. This allows me to view all my collections on the screen & run them when i want to.

I really wasn't planning to oc the gpu as i have never done it, and I'm happy with just playing with the cpu and getting 15 to 20%. I'm getting too old to remember all this !

I would just like a good gpu that would look good and not slow me down during the processing, and info to help me choose a good water cooler to get that 20% i mentioned above. I already have the fx8350 and would like to not go over $100 on the cooler.

I believe I was not clear enough when I stated that I had integrated graphics on my old PC. My new asus m5a99fx does not have integrated graphics & will replace the old one.
I knew what you were saying, thanks for clarifying though. I was just looking at the system as a whole and trying to save where you could and add in others. If you already have the 8350 then no worries it's a good chip, I really like mine. I also have a M5A99X Evo board similar to the Fx Pro. It's a good board but may run out of power when Ocing the Fx 8350 above 4.5. I will leave the Gpu suggestion to people with more knowledge of video converting and such.

I will leave the Gpu suggestion to people with more knowledge of video converting and such.

I think what I said earlier is about right when it comes to this type of work. The CPU is going to be bearing the brunt of the load for converting, but where rendering is concerned (creating/writing resolution and framerate info) is GPU based. I'm not sure how to get best results for the OP, but Im certain more cores is better, but I am not sure how to balance that against GPU needs. The BR will have to change formats to fit in the container (im not sure what the native video and audio on a BR disc is, but it probably wont fit in .mkv without conversion) so there will be plenty of work for the GPU to do as well. Striking a balance in between with a hex-core chip and a bit of a better gpu might be the best way to go.

I knew what you were saying, thanks for clarifying though. I was just looking at the system as a whole and trying to save where you could and add in others. If you already have the 8350 then no worries it's a good chip, I really like mine. I also have a M5A99X Evo board similar to the Fx Pro. It's a good board but may run out of power when Ocing the Fx 8350 above 4.5. I will leave the Gpu suggestion to people with more knowledge of video converting and such.

Thanks Mandrake, your opinion appreciated

I think what I said earlier is about right when it comes to this type of work. The CPU is going to be bearing the brunt of the load for converting, but where rendering is concerned (creating/writing resolution and framerate info) is GPU based. I'm not sure how to get best results for the OP, but Im certain more cores is better, but I am not sure how to balance that against GPU needs. The BR will have to change formats to fit in the container (im not sure what the native video and audio on a BR disc is, but it probably wont fit in .mkv without conversion) so there will be plenty of work for the GPU to do as well. Striking a balance in between with a hex-core chip and a bit of a better gpu might be the best way to go.
It really depends. There isn't an absolute on those things these days. Some software supports hardware encoding and rendering.

Took your Advice

It really depends. There isn't an absolute on those things these days. Some software supports hardware encoding and rendering.

I decided to upgrade to the ASUS 2GB R7 240 card. It Oclocks and I found a lot of favorable reviews about the reliability of the unit as well as the ease of Oclocking it with the included software. Most of the reviews were from gamers who said they were happy with doing easier games at 1920x1200. Since I don't game anyway I really felt I was going in the right direction with this, especially with the memory gain to 2GB. I also decided to go ahead with the Corsair 100i cooler.

When those 2 items come in I will be ready to put things together & start the task getting as close to 5.0 as I can do.

Thanks to all who contributed & helped me make my decision. Since I'm 79 and the memory isn't too good, I will certainly try to update you here on how I do. Bear in mind though that my main squeeze frowns on all the time i spend on the pc, so it is always a give and take thing. Yes it is, even for us old folks.

If easier games mean web based only... I would agree. I reviewed the r7 250 and it would not play most games well at 1920x1080/1200 and the 240 is slower.

Good luck! :)

If easier games mean web based only... I would agree. I reviewed the r7 250 and it would not play most games well at 1920x1080/1200 and the 240 is slower.

Good luck! :)

Thanks Earthdog. Looks like i may be cough up in another one of those "life's lessons", but since I am not a gamer but an Oclocker, maybe i will luck out and all will work out ok.

I am impressed with the members of this site and their desire to help others. With my age and bad memory I may not be able to contribute much. I have been interested in computing since my first purchase many years ago, a commodore 64. Since then I have probably put together at least a dozen or so builds, counting upgrades. My problem now is that I have forgotten more than I can remember. Since I'm planning on shooting for a 4.8-5.0 OC, I'll be sure to post it in the appropriate place here, along with my data and comments. Maybe that will be of help to someone.

Thanks again & good sailing:

Back