• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock Z170 Extremem 6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tank Geek

This board says it cover 2933 and 3200 MHz RAM but not 3000. Should I be concerned if I plan on buying 3000 MHz RAM?

Nope. You'll just have to set it manually in the bios if you decide on 3000 ram. I'm looking at that board also for my upgrade, but will be buying 3200 ram instead.

This board officially supports RAM up to DDR4-3200+ ( I mean higher capacity than 2x4GB ). Unofficially has higher memory ratios so you can probably set 3600+ too. DDR4-3000 memory will work on probably every Z170 motherboard on the market. If you make it work using XMP depends from used memory kit. Many DDR4 kits won't work using XMP settings but probably all will work at manual settings ( usually auto settings + main timings manually and manual memory voltage so not much to set ).
So far I had no problems only with G.Skill Ripjaws V memory kits on Skylake boards and they're in reasonable price for 3000 and 3200 kits. Actually 3000 and 3200 are based on similar Samsung IC. Other manufacturers are releasing Skylake memory kits but slowly. Corsair has 2-3 Vengeance kits, Kingston has only lower clocked series and all others are not available yet.

Here is list of tested modules on Extreme 6 -> http://asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170 Extreme6/index.us.asp?cat=Memory
In single channel mode it's supporting even DDR4-4000.

Back