• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AsRock Z77 Extreme 3 wont let me change RAM timings??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

They are set to auto in the BIOS and I cant change them. I can change the RAM speed, and some of the more advanced RAM settings, but not any of the 5 basic timings. How can I change this?

By taking it off auto and setting it to manual...

EDIT: I googled your bios go into DRAM CONFIGURATION.

By taking it off auto and setting it to manual...

EDIT: I googled your bios go into DRAM CONFIGURATION.

There is no catch-all auto or manual mode, each specification can be changed from auto to a specific value, but in my case most of them are locked at auto.

Check the manual, page 56 ff
ftp://66.226.78.21/manual/Z77 Extreme3.pdf
Seems like there should be an option DRAM Config. You will have to go from AUTO to manual, link or something like that.

edit: ninja'd by ED :(
That specification only modifies the RAM speed, in which case I dont have it set to auto, I have it set to 1600 MHz. manual.

One thing I noticed is the manual says that if I want to overclock my RAM I should do it in slots A2 and B2 (1 and 3). Any idea why? I find this odd as my understanding has always been that you want the RAM as close to the CPU as possible while still running in dual channel. In other words, they should go in A1 and B1 (0 and 2), which is what I have them running in now.

That is common on that platform. Set them up that way and see if that gives you the ability to change the timings. By not having it set up that way, you may be running single channel.

I tried swapping it to the other ports (1 and 3) and that dident make a difference. The timings are still locked. hmmm, this is a rather strange issue.

Back