• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock z77 extreme4 - Virtu MVP Doesn't work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

click4dylan

Registered
just jumped on the intel bandwagon and got an intel cpu+motherboard for the FIRST time. the virtu mvp was a big selling point for me for the virtual Vsync feature. i've just spent the last 2 hours installing and uninstalling intel hd graphics and virtu mvp.. and i just can't get the piece of garbage to work..

it says its enabled in the control panel, thats fine and dandy. but when I go to play ANY game, regardless if its set to use the discrete video card (GTX 580), it always uses the onboard graphics. it never shows a logo when i start any game, and there's screen tearing everywhere regardless if i enable the feature or not. what gives?? is there some secret to it? my HDMI cable is plugged into the integrated ports.

whenever i install the virtu mvp software, it says the screen may go blank, but it never does. and never has.

specs:
windows 7 x64 ultimate
intel i7 3770k
asrock z77 extreme4
12 GB DDR3 1600
auzentech prelude
killer 2100
geforce gtx 580

Last edited:
Through your BIOS did you enable iGPU over Auto which is selected by default? You will need to enable iGPU.

Also ensure you update the latest intel integrated GPU drivers, as well as the MVP drivers.

I have never used this, but I think you need to plug in to the discrete card? Can you check the manual to confirm?

I have never used this, but I think you need to plug in to the discrete card? Can you check the manual to confirm?

Discrete card is only used for when running 3D applications as far as I am aware.

Based on the Virtu MVP website it appears the iGPU is used in most applications; so to me it appears that in the BIOS > Peripherals you need to enable the iGPU over the default "Auto"..

And based on research it only works in full screen mode over windowed modes; which games you testing and are they full screen mode?

Isnt that what he is doing though, playing a game (3D)? Again, not sure how this works...

Isnt that what he is doing though, playing a game (3D)? Again, not sure how this works...

I mean like 3D gaming using a 120 Hz 3D monitor with 3D glasses, using either passive or active 3D. Well with passive 3D it typically is only 60Hz monitors for cheap monitors..

I wasn't very clear in my wording originally so my apologies. I am very tired and currently working on my course work lol

I dont think that is how it works... but... this is out of my realm so I will just leave with my question for him to look in his manual for the answer. :)

integrated gpu is enabled in bios and there's even a setting that says 'make sure this is set to ON if you wish to use virtu mvp' and that's on.

We get that.. what Im saying to do is to see where you plug in your cord to the monitor... in the discrete GPU or the on board slots. I feel now Im barking up the wrong tree but... its worth a shot.

http://download.asrock.com/manual/virtu/Z77 Pro3/English.pdf

Manual is very basic tbh, but yea either iGPU or d-GPU can be used in order to have it working based on the manual.

Have you checked the list to ensure the games you have tried are supported by current config? If they aren't in the list you can manually add them. But in the manual it states, any game which is not in the list within the programme is not guaranteed to work.

The manual refers to VGA and DVI connections, but it is bound to work with HDMI?

Like EarthDog I have personally not tested it myself, just read up on different sites about it.

it says to plug your monitor into one of the integrated slots. so that's what I did. i am using HDMI though, but i don't think that would be the reason would it?

you wouldnt hapen to have crossfire/sli would you?

couple other things stuck out in the directions, and you didnt say if you tried it or not

1. Click “Start”, “Programs” and “VIRTU”.
2. Click the “VIRTU Control Panel” option.
If the logo icon is grey, right click on the icon and click on the “Enable” option to enable VIRTU MVP.

you dont have "hide" checked next to the logo settings? (page 8)

look at page 9 and make sure those are both enabled.

definitely look at page 10 and be sure the game your running has support for lucid.

and have you activated the software such as the directions on page 12 show.

http://download.asrock.com/manual/virtu/Z77 Pro3/English.pdf

I also picked this out of the manual:

Nvidia GF/GTX 4xx/5xx series
AMD HD5xxx/HD6xxx series
* Dual GPU graphics cards, CrossFireXTM and SLITM are not supported

I doesnt appear to work with 6 series nvidia or 7 series amd? :shrug:

EDIT: But after reading more carefully I came across this:

To use VIRTU Universal MVP in d-Mode, the display device must be connected to a
discrete GPU installed in the system.

This guy is trying to play games which is d-mode which requires it to be plugged in to the discrete GPU...:thup:

Perhaps "3D" was taken too literally...

Last edited:
That is what I thought, but a couple posts above you is the manual which says it should be on the motherboard.

I also picked this out of the manual:

Nvidia GF/GTX 4xx/5xx series
AMD HD5xxx/HD6xxx series
* Dual GPU graphics cards, CrossFireXTM and SLITM are not supported

I doesnt appear to work with 6 series nvidia or 7 series amd? :shrug:

EDIT: But after reading more carefully I came across this:

To use VIRTU Universal MVP in d-Mode, the display device must be connected to a
discrete GPU installed in the system.

i thought i seen that in there but wasnt thinking right lol lack of sleep though he does have a gtx 580

they advertise that it doesn't matter what you plug your monitor into, it will automatically switch to the correct graphics processor. my problem is it doesn't matter what i have it plugged in to. the virtu MVP logo never shows up in any game, regardless if its a virtu enabled game or not. virtual vsync isn't working at all because i see screen tearing everywhere. i'm using a 60hz monitor, not 120 by the way. i tried the asus virtu setup wizard, and that one always tells me that the igpu functionality isn't enabled when it clearly is in bios. when i click enable in the wizard, it reboots my system then never attempts to finish installation. if i manually open the installer again, then it says my graphics drivers are not installed at all when they clearly are..

Back