• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 with Vishera 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok I will change the CPU LLC to ultra high. Should I change the CPU voltage? I believe I have quite a bit of headroom there. I'm just not sure what side effects it will have if I were to raise it. What fan size do you recommend for behind the CPU cutout? I'm thinking 50mm.

50mm works Johan45 did it to his and it worked well for him. See here

Yes you have head room, you could try setting it at 1.4 as long as your temps stay below the suggested temps.

Before I left for work I ran prime each time and bumped the fsb up to 220. That primed fine with the cpu hitting 64 Celsius. 225 wouldn't boot. I don't think it posted. I have a water based cpu cooler. Why am I getting so close to the max of 70? Is there something I could do to overclock without hitting my thermal limit?

Your getting close because these things run hot. You also need better airflow over the VRM section and rear of the mother board, because of the AIO water cooler. If you had a stock or Air heatsink it would help with the airflow over the VRM section. The other issue is your board only has a 6+2 power phase Vrm section, therefore it has to work harder to supply adequate voltage to the processor, which creates heat. This is just the nature of the beast with these Fx 8 series processors. Most of use here that started out with a Mid level board wind up going to a top end board when the overclocking bug gets us. I had a similar board as you have the M5A99X Evo and it was good to about 4.4/4.5 stable but that was where it topped out. Additionally, most here running big overclocks are doing it on big custom loops.

If you're crapping out at 225, then go back to 220 and try passing 2 hours blend adding voltage when needed and watching the temps.

OK. How will I know when I need to add voltage? Also, I have only set the cpu voltage to 1.3. I have not set a fixed amount for the cpu & nb voltage. Should I leave that one alone? What would happen to the overall overclock if I, say, up the cpu voltage to 1.45? I expect more heat, but I'm not sure what else?

OK. How will I know when I need to add voltage? Also, I have only set the cpu voltage to 1.3. I have not set a fixed amount for the cpu & nb voltage. Should I leave that one alone? What would happen to the overall overclock if I, say, up the cpu voltage to 1.45? I expect more heat, but I'm not sure what else?
I wouldn't jump the Cpu Voltage to 1.45 yet you may want to try 1.4 first you only have about 10c headroom on the Socket temp aka Cpu temp. Setting 1.45 will get you there in a hurry most likely. The Cpu Nb Voltage I'd leave set for the time being you're not running the NB Frequency that high yet and raising the CPU/NB Voltage will also increase the temps.

You will know when to add voltage if the test freezes, blue screens or you lose a worker. A lost worker usually means you're close to where you need to be. Now you said earlier that you were having issues at 225 on the FSB that was with the Cpu V set at 1.3? If so I would stay at 1.3 and test 220 on the FSB, add voltage .00625 at a time if you fail the test, do that until it passes or you hit the top on temps.

OK. I just pulled into my driveway. I'll run the blend on prime95 for 2 hours this evening and post the results either later or tomorrow morning. If it passes with no failures and I still have thermal headroom, should I bump up anything?

VRM section

Gonna start Prime95 blend now. In this first picture, which is the VRM section you were talking about? The second picture is just a shot of my rig so you can see what you've been helping me with. I just have to get that GTX 770 and I'll be all set. I thought I was getting all of the right equipment for overclocking this build. The mobo got suck good reviews and I see people have overclocked it to 5.0ghz. Shucks. I should've done a little more homework.

Attachments

• computer1.jpg
    computer1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 172
  • computer2.jpg
    computer2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 172
If you pass two hours then save that profile, that way you have something to fall back on when you push further and possible lose your way. Additionally it is helpful if you take notes of every change you make, it is easy to lost your way when you really start pushing. If you have headroom then if you want to try for a higher OC then yes just repeat the process.

The VRM section is the blue heatsink to the left of the Cpu. You may even be able to take the RAM cooler off and put it on the VRM. You really don't need it on the RAM unless you're overclocking the pee out of them.

As far as the motherboard goes, it is a good motherboard and yes there will be people that say they are overclocked to X Mhz on one. Most of us here will not claim our rig is running X Mhz unless we can pass at least 2 hours of Prime Blend. Which I bet, most of the ones claiming they are running 5.0 + have not. This issue is this with the M5A99x/Fx board, when these 8 series Fx chips are pushed they require a ton of voltage from the VRM section and when really pushed the 6+2 Power Phases, in most cases, cannot reliably supply the voltage the processor needs to maintain a high/stable overclock. The reality is this, most of us here running these chips do not run 5.0 because the voltage needed and the heat produced just isn't worth it. I personally have my chip 2 hours prime stable at 5.1 but do not ever run it there for a daily overclock. The voltage needed for those clocks is just not justified for me to run it there 24/7. If I'm using it for a short period of time then I'm ok with it and my chip has been upwards of 5.6 on really really cold water but that is for a short period of time.

we can pass at least 2 hours of Prime Blend. Which I bet, most of the ones claiming they are running 5.0 + have not. This issue is this with the M5A99x/Fx board, when these 8 series Fx chips are pushed they require a ton of voltage from the VRM section and when really pushed the 6+2 Power Phases, in most cases, cannot reliably supply the voltage the processor needs to maintain a high/stable overclock. The reality is this, most of us here running these chips do not run 5.0 because the voltage needed and the heat produced just isn't worth it. I personally have my chip 2 hours prime stable at 5.1 but do not ever run it there for a daily overclock. The voltage needed for those clocks is just not justified for me to run it there 24/7. If I'm using it for a short period of time then I'm ok with it and my chip has been upwards of 5.6 on really really cold water but that is for a short period of time.

Manny man I doubt more truthful words were ever spoken about overclocking and especially so on specific boards with specific types of cpu. 8Ghz with cooling that is only good for very short short bursts, does not move me at all or give me any sort of fuzzies. Nada. So freeken useless and even more so useless today since AMD seems to have abandoned entirely the discrete cpu desktop user.

Can put my FX-8350 to over 2 hours P95 stable at 5.2Ghz. Whoopee. I have not been beyond 4.8Ghz in about a year. Been running 4.0 for surfing the net and 4.8Ghz for video editting and it with a monster air cooler atop the cpu.

The two neatest and day in and day out rigs that I have seen lately sporting 8 cores and able to hold their overclocks for hours and hours, were assembled by "bassnut' and "papadan". One lives in cold arse Canada and the other lives in warm booty Florida. Each of those guys spent hours doing the research and built on solid CHV and Sabertooth foundations with big cases for air to get in and out of and then spec'd out awesome water cooling setups for their use. Now those rigs can tote the mail all day, every day without a whimper. There are a couple of others with rigs that can run day in and day out but those two just were lately finished and can be seen today without a lot of searching.

FX processors run hOt. The faster they run the hotter they run and the more voltage they need and then the need for cool takes off like a moon shot. And the vicious cycle begins.
RGone...ster.

I had a spare stock 8350 cooler, so I mounted it behind the cpu. I also swapped out the acrylic side panel of the case for wire mesh and mounted an 80mm fan blowing as close to the mobo heat sinks as possible. I noticed a drop in temps. I then bumped the fsb up and got it to 229. Now I'm just fine tuning the cpu voltage so I don't get any droop under load. I notice that after you do repeated prime runs and reboots that after a while it won't post. It seems to post after a little rest. Going to bed now so I'm not too much of a zombie when I wake up at 5 am.

I notice that after you do repeated prime runs and reboots that after a while it won't post.
Most of the time, when this is an issue, it's not 100% stable.

OK, that's all I can take. Still not right . I have done nothing the last few days except tinker. It kept failing prime95. Each time I made an adjustment, it would either freeze, not post, or fail. I put it back to optimized defaults and manually set the ram. I'm sorry. I'm exhausted and frustrated. I just can't spend any more time with this. Even the optimized defaults has one worker fail, but it lasted the longest in prime. Thanks so much for all of your help, but I'm done.

Have you got a bud with a decent DDR3-1600 or DDR3-1866 in a 2x4G kit for 8 gigs and it NOT be Kingston ram? If you could borrow that, try it at 4.0Ghz ram at stock 1600 or 1866 and let us know. I have hesitated to mention the 32gigs of Kingston. Tough enough to overclock with 32Gigs ram much less the issues some are facing lately with Kingston stuff.
RGone...ster.

JJTraxx, overclock can be frustrating at times, so I feel your pain. As Rgone mentioned overclocking with 32g of ram can be stressful on the IMC. Additionally it seems as if Kingston ram doesn't always play well with AMD chips. We're here if you need us.

Thanks again guys. I kinda feel like I wasted your time and I feel bad for that. This build was supposed to be a beast. I got Windows 7 pro to unlock that 16 gb limit of home premium. I researched the Kingston hyperx beast and even popped for the 2133 quad kit so the ram wouldn't limit me or be a bottleneck. I guess not. I don't know of anyone with extra ram to borrow and test. I've been buying components for moths so I could have exactly what I wanted, so I can no longer return the ram. Once I got it up and running well, I threw the packaging out. At least it is just about stable. My old rig was an i5 750 quad core running at 2.67, so I still have a much better rig now. Thanks again.

If you want to take another shot at it read through this post our fellow member Johan helped a guy along with a similar setup as you with Kingston ram, it may help.

Thanks for the link Mandrake. My mind will not let me give up on this. It lives for challenges. I am in the process of following the instructions in your link. So far I have successfully gotten to 4.5 ghz for 20 minutes by raising the multiplier only. Gonna blend in the fsb and then raise the ram from1333 after trying 4.6 for 20 minutes and finding what lasts 2 hours. My vcore is only at 1.36875 and peak cpu temperature was 63,although it only peaked the and didn't stay. Going to bed, but I will be trudging through on my own. Sorry I wigged out earlier. It's just frustrating to only slightly understand all of this. Doing it on my own making sure I understand it as I go should be better. Thanks again and I'll let you know where I wind up stable for 2 hours.

JJTraxx, let me insert a couple of things right here.

1. Both "johan45" and "mandrake4565" have had the M5A99X EVO and the M5A99FX PRO boards and with an 8 core FX processor never succeeded with full stability beyond 4.5Ghz and maybe a little change. For all practical purposes if you are now at 4.5Ghz you may actually be very close to your max stable 24/7 cpu speed. Just remember that "generally" the X EVO and the FX PRO are just not the same calibre of board that the Sabertooth and CHV from Asus are. Close maybe but n0t the same. So do not beat yourself up trying to get a cpu speed much beyond the 4.5Ghz range because unless you are far luckier than those two users were, you will not get much more than 4.5Ghz rock solid for 24/7 use. I say this because it is critical information. Do not further frustrate yourself attempting what might just be only a long shot. There is an end to any overclocking attempt. 4.5Ghz-ish seems about it for the slightly lesser VRM circuit motherboards.

2. 32Gigs of ram is a load on any cpu that has an internal memory controller. That is why most of the server motherboards that are supposed to use large amounts of ram are only rated for DDR3-1333 ram. It is often just not possible to use 32Gigs ram at extreme speeds using internal memory controllers inside the cpu. That really is one general reality about ram speeds. Then it has been exhibited in these very forums, that Kingston ram is giving trouble to a number of users. You were given a link to one such user and "johan45" has been more or less around the world trying to find a 'break-thru' for that user. He did not actually find a real break-thru I do not believe. Close maybe but not actual DDR3-2133 ram speeds. Personally, I don't think DDR3-2133 is doable on FX processor with 32Gigs. DDR3-2133 is a rating that the ram 'could' reach, but it is not a sure thing by any means. DDR3-2133 is certainly not a ram speed that is a done deal with large amounts of ram AND an overclocked processor. Many of these various specs are and/or and if but not if. It is a juggling act most of the time. You may get your cake but you may not get to eat it all.

Part of helping with overclocking is perhaps to give a better or clearer picture of what is most generally reality. That is often all we can do. Just give a view of what is the "norm". There has been far too much hype put out about what an FX processor can do and it was so even before the release of the first FX Bulldozer processor line-up. There is nothing wrong about using an FX processor for work with some heavy duty applications. I have a friend in these very forums that put an FX-8120 thru workloads that took 8 to 10 days to have the application give an answer with 965BE Deneb processor. He put the FX-8120 to work with the same application and could get the result in like 3.5 days. But he had to drop the big overclock he had on the FX-8120 to allow for that sort of cpu hammering for hours on end. Fact of life. By the way that same application now gives results in hours with the application run on a motherboard and system with 4 opteron cpus on the board and running only 2.2Ghz with 64Gigs or ram at DDR3-1333. Knowing that, I know a job is best attacked with other than just blinding speed.

So better understanding the limits of a 'complete' system, can be a blessing in disguise. Knowing limits can make the entire propostion more readily attainable and thus a lot less frustrating.

I like that you have said you will continue your attack on your own. Such attempting to master your own parts and pieces is a mind-set too often overlooked in this 'gimme-now' society. A suck-it-up mentality is awesome to see in computering. You will certainly learn and know something in the end. Maybe not what you wanted to know, but at least what there is to know.

Now the IF that is always there in the real world. 1.) If you can get to 4.5Ghz with good temps for 2 hours of P95 blend being errorless you have done well on the motherboard you currently have with the cooling at hand. 2.) If that 4.5Ghz cpu speed with + 2 hours of P95 stability is done with the CPU_NB speed at approx 2400Mhz and the HT Link Speed at about the same 2400Mhz >> YOU have done WELL. 3.) If that 4.5Ghz with at least 2 hours of P95 Blend mode testing is accomplished with the 32Gigs of ram at DDR3-1600-ish speed, you have done WELL. Maybe you could consider your self having done very WELL, if that same ram is run with timings of 9, 9 (or 10), 9, 27, 41 with the CMD at 2T at DDR3-1600 plus or minus a little bit of ram speed. Your processing performance of real work will not be noticed good or bad if you are not at DDR3-2133 because of the amount of ram being so great. Right here another thing needs to be understood and that is that large amounts of ram may go completely un-used if the application/s in use are not written to use a large amount of ram. Just having ram is not a sign it will all be used at any one time. FYI according to what I understand. Heck I have been wrong before though.

What I am trying to do is give you a better idea of what success with your parts and pieces might very well look like. Success is just exactly that, in that it is getting where one can actually go. Good luck man and just hoping to more clearly show what 'getting-there' might really look like for you. Giving oneself a real chance to succeed is often what we need.

Here is hoping that happier computing is just around the next corner for you and that the corner is just before your eyes.
RGone...ster.

Last edited:
Thanks RGone. I needed to hear that and it was very well said. I guess I was not taking into account the heat and power discrepancies between this mobo and the 8350. I naively assumed that I could get almost a 1ghz bump from baseline much like the Intel chips with a higher end motherboard. The power of the m5a99fx being 6+2 never even occurred to me as being a weak spot. I have learned now. When I said I was going to try and get to 4.6 on the multi only, I was just following the steps taken in the link from Mandrake. I don't plan on leaving it there. I will push the multi back in order to bump up the fsb and get a better blend overclock by using both the multi and fsb. I will more than likely leave my ram at either 1333 or 1600 after I finish the cpu and fsb work. I do plan on playing with the ram timings and such. Not so much to push it to 2133,but to have it perform better at its stable list in my rig. Thanks again to you and everyone else who has been blessed with the patience of a teacher. I still have learning to do on my own before I can think about playing it forward myself. This is a lesson I needed to learn. I hope to have a super stable overclock soon in the area of 4.4 - 4.5 and will post specs and screen shots whenever it is I get there.

Back