• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P2B will not boot until warm enough ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Dup

Guys,

Looking for advice regarding my 1st OC experience resulting in the PC refusing to boot up completely until the 4th or 5th try, when the mobo or power supply is warm enough. Is the mobo to blame? Or the power supply? Here are the details.

Original Configuration:

Generic ATX case with no active cooling
Generic 250W Power Supply
ASUS P2B Rev1.02 mobo with V.1012 BIOS
Pentium II 400Mhz running FSB at 100Mhz
128MB PC100 generic RAM
ATI Xpert98 8MB video card 2XAGP
Quantum 7.6GB EIDE on primary master
Iomega Zip-CD 24X4X CD-RW on secondary master
Panasonic 40X CD-ROM on primary slave
Maxtor 13GB EIDE on secondary slave
3COM PCI56Kbps modem
D-Link 10/100 Ethernet NIC PCI

My first OC consisted in upping the FSB to 112Mhz on the PII 400 with success, running the whole system at 448Mhz and stable. I then swapped the Slot-1 PII for an ASUS SL370-133 slotket with a Pentium III 700Mhz retail Fc-PGA chip at 100Mhz with stock cooling and downed the voltage on the slotket to 1.8v for the Coppermine. The machine was now running at 784Mhz at 34 degrees C on a hot day with SiSoft Sandra running benchmarks continuously. After a couple of weeks with the system constantly up and running with no problems whatsoever, I thought I had a stable system and could safely switch it off at night. Well, what a surprise it was the next morning when I could not turn it on again!

It seems the PC refuses to power up again if it has been idle for a long time (i.e. overnight). When I manage to turn the power supply on, I hear all the fans speeding up, the HDDs spinning up, then the PC dies, goes off completely without a single beep. Flicking the power switch on and off does nothing; I have to unplug the power supply from the power cable, flip its power switch in the back on and off, plug the power supply cable back in, and can then push the main power switch on and hear the system go through its POST motions again, going a little further this time, even hearing the single beep signalling everything check out OK. And then, boom! It goes off again, even before the screen (which is always on) shows anything. I then go through the same motions with the power supply cable, and get a little further still, until after 4 or 5 tries it boots completely and remains stable.

Thinking that the weak link might be the video card, and wanting to upgrade it for a long time anyhow, I replaced the ATI with an ASUS V7700 GTS2 card with 32MB, and also added another 128MB of PC-133 RAM just for fun while I was in there, but still the same problem turning it on. I am afraid to turn it off, but feel it is wasteful to leave it on all night and all day, when I can only use it at night when I'm at home.

What is the problem? Power supply not pumping out enough voltage? 1.8V not enough on the PIII? Should I go back to 100Mhz FSB? Or should I upgrade the mobo to a 133Mhz version and get a bigger power supply ($$$ not a problem)? If upgrading, what mobo should I get for S370?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

The Dup

You should have 14amps on the +5v line for a 700.
The rating should be somewhere on a sticker on the power supply.

Back