• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus p5w DH stability issues please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oc1Kenube

Please read full post before answering thankyou :O)

My system is as follows:

Asus P5W DH Deluxe, E6300,1Gb Crucial Ballistix Pc2 6400,GF 7900 GS,EZcool 600w Psu.

Cooling Arctic freezer 7 with AS5 applied to processor and chipset, 3 x 80mm intake fans 2 x 80mm exhaust fans and 120mm psu exhaust.

When running my E6300 @ 400 fsb 1.5v 1:1 Divider with memory @ 2.2v vmch is @ 1.65v, FSB termination voltage is at 1.50v and the other i can never remember is @ 1.20 all of them are maxed. Everything appears stable and i can run all applications and games without fault and last night i ran orthos small fft's for 10 hours straight with no errors, yet when i run orthos on blend test the programme freezes in less than 10 minutes. Also when running memtest86 it fails on test 5 every time.

Now this is the puzzling part.

Why is it that my memory will run happily at 800mhz 4-4-4-12-4 @ stock fsb and pass both orthos and memtest86 yet when i up Fsb to 400 memory immediately fails in both memtest and orthos even though the ram is running at it's rated speed of 800mhz. This is my second set of ballistix and are brand new back from crucial yesterday all anti static precautioons were taken and i have tried loosening timings to every degree and even upped mem voltage to 2.4v but nothing works.

I am so frustrated please can someone try and shed some light on this for me as im about ready to take a sledge hammer to this board.

Fix mem speed at 800, but let the mem timings in auto.

The P5WDH has none advanced mem timings options, and I can bet are those advanced timings that are causing you problems.

You will see your timings go up ex: 5-5-6-18.

Try it and report.

I will try it out now and report back soon,but am not too hopeful as i have already loosened timings all the way down to 6-6-6-18-6 with no joy, but your input is appreciated and i will welcome more.

I tried enabling SPD but got same results i.e a memtest fail/lockup at test 5, I have dropped fsb to 390 with ram still 1:1 and memtest now passes test 5 and so far is stable in orthos although it's still early in the orthos testing at around ten minutes but even this is an improvement.

have you proper cooling in vmch? 1.65v is a very high voltage if you dont have active cooling.
I tell you to try auto timings because at 400fsb if I try to manual define values, even in the more relax timings my machine became unstable.
In auto everything is ok.
Anyway latelly I'm running 395fsb with low voltages in everywhere 1.4cpu, 1.8mem, 1.5vmch, and rock stable.

Either your CPU is running too hot or you hit the wall.

Set timing by SPD.
You have latest BIOS?

Disable; DRAM Thottling, Hyperpath 3 in the Chipset section of the bios.

pcie 100
pci 33

Microcode Update : Enabled
Max CPUID Value Limit : Dis
Execute Disable Function : Dis
CPU Internal Thermal Control : Dis
Virtualization Technology : Dis
Intel SpeedStep Technology : Dis

Last edited:
Think i have just hit a wall running 390 stable just need to work on my volts now and invest in a cpu with higher multiplier i think. Thanks for help

Back