• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P9X79 no_boot_device led

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mokrunka

Well, here we go again!

Just a couple months after I got my RAM issue worked out w/ G.Skill, I have another issue with my X79 platform.

Yesterday, I went to turn my computer on and everything worked fine, played some BF3, no big deal. Later in the day, after I had shut it down, I turned it back on, and lo-and-behold, it would not POST. No BIOS, no monitor signal, nothing. Taking the side off of the case, I saw that the boot_device led was a constant red on the mobo (Asus P9X79 vanilla).

Doing a bit of troubleshooting (no matter how many times I power cycled, it would not POST), I tried new SATA cables to my boot device, different SATA ports on the mobo, taking out all the SATA devices, trying different combinations of SATA ports with different devices, removing the CMOS, using the jumper to clear the CMOS, flashing back the BIOS to 1009 rev (using the EZflash utlity and a USB stick), all to no avail. I called ASUS tech support and the word is that this is a known issue with the SATA controller on the board. Apparently I'm not the first customer this has happened to. A quick google search reveals the same thing for other ASUS brand boards (X79, Z77, etc).

Pretty upset that I have to RMA my 4 month old board due to a "known issue". It wouldn't be that big a deal, but my system is watercooled, so this will be a HUGE pain to tear back apart to replace the mobo, especially considering the build process I had to go through 3 months ago just to get the system working.

Just wanted to vent a bit and throw this out there so someone else with the same issue may feel like they're not suffering alone...

Anyone else have this problem or know people that have?

You either disconnected all four SCSI drives or removed the RAID card entirely, including disconnecting both HDDs, leaving only the SSD connected to Port #1 of the Intel controller (SATA6G_1)?

Yea, the raid card is completely out of the system. I also tried booting only with the boot drive (SSD) in the primary SATA controller port (as well as all the others). I also tried this with a completely new SSD that I had laying around. Still same results...

I realize my thread here is 4 years old...

But, I still have this board (the one that was given to me as part of the RMA), and I still occassionally get this issue. Still have not been able to figure out what causes it. Maybe a power surge or outage fried something on the board.

Probably going to replace it later this year and upgrade platforms.

I just received a MB that I bought off of e-bay. It has the same problem that you described. I was searching to see if anyone else had listed this problem.
Thank You for the information, I now know to stop trouble shooting and contact the seller.

Back