• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 and AMD FX 8350 OC help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nenad

Hey guys. Would like to say on start that you are absolutely amazing when it comes to helping your members out and well armed with patience and knowledge! Was reading in few posts replies from RGone,Johan45 and Ajay57 - it is modest to say that i am impressed. :)
I am newly registered on the forum but not first time here. :)
I would need help with Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 and AMD FX 8350 to overclock it.
Did read few similar PC setup post to mine and tried following the instructions, but didn't go as planned. :)
I would like to see how much can it be OCed while working stable and not overheating. Room temperature is around 24 degrees.
Specifically these two:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734249
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733759

My PC rig is:
MOBO > Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 with BIOS Version 2104
CPU & Cooler > AMD FX8350 Vishera & Noctua NH14D
MEMORY > Kingstone HyperX Beast 2400Mhz 16GB(2sticks installed on 2&4 slots)
POWER SUPPLY > Raidmax RX-700AC 700W
VIDEO CARD > Nvidia GTX 480 single GPU.
HDDs/Optical drives > SSD Intel SSDSC2CW120A3, HDD WDC WD6400AAVS and Optiarc DVD RW
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard.
USB > TP Link Wifi adapter, Mouse and Keyboard.
O/S > Windows 8.1
Case > Raidmax Blackstorm - But using it open on it's side(i'll post a picture) since CoolerMaster one didn't arrive yet. Will be Stormstryker
Snipe Shots:

Attachments

• CPUz CPU.PNG
    CPUz CPU.PNG
    48.3 KB · Views: 3,686
  • CPUz Memory.PNG
    CPUz Memory.PNG
    32 KB · Views: 2,627
  • CPUz SPD.PNG
    CPUz SPD.PNG
    36 KB · Views: 2,596
  • Prime Main Thr.PNG
    Prime Main Thr.PNG
    13.3 KB · Views: 2,436
  • Prime.PNG
    Prime.PNG
    41.8 KB · Views: 2,446
  • HWmon.PNG
    HWmon.PNG
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,444
1.27Vcore on cpu is not likely enough to pass P95 Blend for 20 mins even at only 4..0Ghz. You need to take the Vcore off Auto and use manual Vcore at about 1.325Vcore for a start. This is so based on most of the Default Cpu Voltages seen on FX-8350.
RGone...

1.27Vcore on cpu is not likely enough to pass P95 Blend for 20 mins even at only 4..0Ghz. You need to take the Vcore off Auto and use manual Vcore at about 1.325Vcore for a start. This is so based on most of the Default Cpu Voltages seen on FX-8350.
RGone...

I had it run for around 45mins. Didn't fail. I'll do what you suggested and come back with some more pics.

Welcome to OCF Nenad
Isee you have been doing some reading and have already got the pics down :thup:

I would suggest you also have a read through this thread if you haven't done so already http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

Hey Johan! Thanks! I did read that but was back a while when i had the stock cooler. I'll go trough it again! x) Really happy to see your reply on my post. :clap:

Posted pic before Prime running for CPU-Z and while running.

Attachments

• Cpuz CPU unload.PNG
    Cpuz CPU unload.PNG
    46.2 KB · Views: 2,441
  • Cpuz CPU.PNG
    Cpuz CPU.PNG
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,410
  • HWmon.PNG
    HWmon.PNG
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,387
  • Prime.PNG
    Prime.PNG
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,395
  • Prime MT.PNG
    Prime MT.PNG
    34.2 KB · Views: 2,389
Your temps look good for now, although you do have a rather large span between socket and core temps at 16c, so when the new case arrives and you're transplanting put a fan on the back of your Mobo similar to this

Capturefan.PNG

Other than that you can start raising the muti by .5 and test for 20minutes if it passes that raise it again , if not add a bit of voltage and try again see how far you get. Just keep the socket below 70 and the cores in the low 60s
Also I would set the CPU and CPU_NB LLC in the Digi section to high and the CPU_NB voltage to 1.25. I noticed you're getting a decent jump in volts under load and this should even that out a bit.

Post some pics when you get stuck or close to temp and we'll go from there, we don't need the P95 pics just if it passed or not. You are running the blend torture test right?

That is an awesome idea Johan! Not sure how to execute it though since that side if closed off. Would it even help no matter that panel is closed? I ordered this case:
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3099 but i can still change my order if something you could suggest to be able to fit a cooler on back of mobo.
This is how it looks atm:
1395315_10203367841185945_1336666243_n.jpg

I took your advice and changed CPU and CPU NB LLC to High and buffed up CPU NB to 1.25.
Yes I am using blend test. Running it as I type this. :)
About the memory speed and settings, are we gonna play with those when I get the final stable picture of the CPU? :)

Last edited:
That's the plan. Ram and NB last As for the fan it works even with a closed side and yes they do sell cases with a fan hole back there as well , that part is up to you. I see your setup is outside the box which will take some air away from the vrm which may explain part of the heat , that and sitting on the table keeps the heat trapped uner the board. You'll be able to get a way with some OCing but the final product can't be realized till you have it in it's permanent home. The cooling dynamics will change once you're in a case again.

I totally agree with you. Wasn't planning to do this what i did, but temptation to install the Noctua cooler was to great, and the case just can't fit it heh.
New case is gonna be on the ground so cooler air from bottom intake fans should help it's case.

By taking your advice and using those settings what you told me i am running cooler for few degrees even thought multi is .5 higher.
Blend test was a pass after 20mins. Gonna go bump it up a notch again. x)

Attachments

• HWmon.PNG
    HWmon.PNG
    18.6 KB · Views: 2,399
  • CPUZ.PNG
    CPUZ.PNG
    46.3 KB · Views: 2,382
Ya new parts can be like that, my problem is I never have enough new parts. Ha ha.

But all looks good so far although I think you'll find that the gap between socket and core is going to keep rising as it needs more power so that is going to limit you till it gets a proper home.
Just keep going along doing wht you're doing

Just to make sure I am on the same page as you are. When you said:
Just keep the socket below 70 and the cores in the low 60s

That means in HWMonitor CPU max at 70 and Package at low 60s, right?
I know i won't be able to get them because right about now diffrence is around 16 degrees between the two. So at max point probably gonna be at 68-69 while second one if the trend continues around 52-53.

Here is after 31mins Blend test in Prime:

Attachments

• CPUZ.PNG
    CPUZ.PNG
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,347
  • HWmon.PNG
    HWmon.PNG
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,383
You got it Nenad, you're going to find as you approach 4.5 that the voltage requiremenst will start to climb a lot faster but so far so good. Nice job !

Nenad, you appear to be overclocking using only the multiplier. Your bus speed is at the stock 200 mhz. You will get a better overclock if you use a combination of the front side bus and the multiplier. It's more complicated but gives better results. You would also need to lower the RAM frequency, the HT Link frequency and the CPU/NB frequency since these rise in concert with the bus frequency and will soon cause instability if they get to high.

Also, have you disabled Cool N Quiet, C1E, Turbo and APM in bios? If not, you need to do that.

Are you using AMD Overdrive to overclock or the bios?

As we mentioned it, it happend x) On 4.4Ghz 3 workers failed.
Bumped Vcore to 1.375V. I assume I should leave NB at 1.25V?

Nenad, you appear to be overclocking using only the multiplier. Your bus speed is at the stock 200 mhz. You will get a better overclock if you use a combination of the front side bus and the multiplier. It's more complicated but gives better results. You would also need to lower the RAM frequency, the HT Link frequency and the CPU/NB frequency since these rise in concert with the bus frequency and will soon cause instability if they get to high.

Also, have you disabled Cool N Quiet, C1E, Turbo and APM in bios? If not, you need to do that.

Hey. Yes i am only using multiplier to OC. I am using BIOS to OC. Yes i disabled CnQ C1e, Turbo and APM in bios. That was first thing I did. x) My RAM settings are all on auto right now. And are running at only 1333Mhz(it is capable to run at 2400Mhz).

How much do I need to lower HT Link and CPU/NB freq if I am to raise the Bus Speed? And how much of a bump should I consider using for Bus Speed with Multiplier?

Blend test passed on Vcore being set to 1.375V NB at 1.25V. Here are HWmon and CPU-Z screenshots:

Attachments

• HWmon.PNG
    HWmon.PNG
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,353
  • CPUZ.PNG
    CPUZ.PNG
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,330

Trents has a good point here because we do usually find we can get to X Mhz with a little less voltage using a combo of Fsb and Multi. That said you may be better off working with the Multi for now and then fine tuning it with the FSB. It can get a little confusing when your first starting to OC if you're messing with the FSB. It's up to you were willing to help you out either way.

I would be over the moon if you guys wouldn't mind spending your time and effort into helping me with it. This is my first "adventure" into OCing, so you can expect some to you silly questions out of precaution. x)

Some basic example would help where to start with it. How much to lower the HT Link and CPU/NB frequency when I am to raise Bus Speed.

That's where I was headed with this Manny and Trents since he is getting a new case soon. Just thought we'd find a thermal limit as it sits now. Then apply that in the new case cool off the socket and go from there.

That's where I was headed with this Manny and Trents since he is getting a new case soon. Just thought we'd find a thermal limit as it sits now. Then apply that in the new case cool off the socket and go from there.

But the thermal dynamics may change when he puts in a case.

But the thermal dynamics may change when he puts in a case.

If anything I think it will improve if he has some good airflow. The board is sitting on a box on the case lid ATM so it must be getting hot with no airflow at all behind it and only the nochtua on top of it. I'm counting on it changing. Plus I think he already plans on a fan for the back of the board.

Back