• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AT&T U-verse internet from computer to router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

taytayflyfly

Alright, first of all, this isn't a regular problem people have had with at&t u-verse internet and routers, I've looked. Now after a few phone calls and redirecting by people from at&t, all I know is I can't connect to u-verse internet using a regular router without an Ethernet cable running from the modem to said router.
Alright, this is my setup:
In room A, on one side of the house, I have the internet cable in the wall where the u-verse comes from, going into at&t modem, which goes to my mother's laptop in that room. Before, when we had Time Warner, there was a router in room A that broadcasted internet and I would connect to that with my computer in room B, on the other side of the house from room A. But with u-verse, as told by some lady on the phone with a thick accent and sounded like she was reading from a manual, I have to use the little USB router given to me because of something to do with firewalls. And my problem, my xbox 360 which I want to connect to xbox live on, is in room B.
So this is what I have:
Modem in room A with laptop
computer, linksys wrt54g router, xbox 360, at&t small usb router with no port for ethernet cable

Other than run cat5 cable through my house, is there anything I can do?

Depends on the model AT&T gave you. AT&T does have a uverse gateway that is a 2Wire 3800HGV-B which is pretty much a modem with a wireless router built in. But they also use Motorola(sounds like what you have), and in some parts Cisco.

Depends on the model AT&T gave you. AT&T does have a uverse gateway that is a 2Wire 3800HGV-B which is pretty much a modem with a wireless router built in. But they also use Motorola(sounds like what you have), and in some parts Cisco.

Yes we have the 2wire gateway because the internet connection is called 2wire when I connect. But I can't connect to this from the xbox because of firewalls or something. Also, is there a way to I guess give internet from a computer with wireless to a router through the use of cables?

I think you are a little mixed up. The typical way to do this is to run a Ethernet cable from your modem to your router. From there you are going to run an Ethernet cable from the router (not the 2wire) to the computer.

If im understanding your first post correctly, you cannot acess your router from your xbox because of some supposed firewall? What type of error is your xbox giving. I would also try going into your linksys routers settings and setting a static ip for your xboxs mac address and then putting that static ip into the DMZ (demilitarized zone)

IF this fixes your problem then it is a port being blocked. Try to figure out which port (check xbox live forums via google) and then set up port forwarding to allow that port to be open for your xbox. Be sure to turn off dmz afterwards.

Hope this makes any since. Check google for setting up dmz on a linksys router via google. goodnight.

Is there a set-top box in room B? If it is fed via coax cable from the RG, then you can plug your x-box into the open ethernet port on the back of the set-top box for direct internet.

Just a thought...

Last edited:
Okay, I can't run a wire from the modem to the router because they are across the house, like I said. Let me rephrase the question. If I connect a Cat5 cable into my computer's internet port and into the into the internet port on the router, will that be kind of like sending connection to the router, so that I can connect to the internet using the router on another computer/xbox?
I don't think that will work so if not, I want to connect to the modem in the other room using the router, but when I connect normally using the router and not the USB adapter, I can connect but I can't actually get on the internet. For example, it will say connected in the windows wireless manager, but when I open firefox or anything else to access the internet, it acts as if I'm not connected.

Just to clarify, AT&T calls their wireless/wired-modem/router a residential gateway, or RG for short.

I'm not talking about plugging your cable into the RG itself, but plugging a cat5 cable into the empty port on the U-verse TV tuner box. That works the same as plugging into the RG directly.

AT&T uses a switch, not a router, if you need more ports than the 4 that are on the RG.
Their technicians carry Netgear Prosafe GS108. No setup is needed with them, plug one wire from the RG to the #1 port on the switch, and the other 7 ports are then internet connected.
I understand that it's on the other side of the house, but I'm just saying they use a switch, not a router.

Just to clarify, AT&T calls their wireless/wired-modem/router a residential gateway, or RG for short.

I'm not talking about plugging your cable into the RG itself, but plugging a cat5 cable into the empty port on the U-verse TV tuner box. That works the same as plugging into the RG directly.

AT&T uses a switch, not a router, if you need more ports than the 4 that are on the RG.
Their technicians carry Netgear Prosafe GS108. No setup is needed with them, plug one wire from the RG to the #1 port on the switch, and the other 7 ports are then internet connected.
I understand that it's on the other side of the house, but I'm just saying they use a switch, not a router.

Okay I understand what you are saying but no, my parents trust me with internet in my room, but no cable television? Anyways, no I don't have a TV tuner box in room B, all i have from AT&T is this USB adapter that does not have any ports to run a cable from.

Gotcha. I'm not sure enough to answer, so I'll ask one of the connect-tech technicians at the garage today and see what he says.

Back