• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attempting to OC AMD Phenom II Black Edition X6 1100T (New to OC'ing Need Help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That may be true. Most 6300's overclock a great deal. I have had plenty of, and still own and use Thubans, Deneb's, Zosma's and I think in real world usage that the the latest FX processors are just much better performers all around.

Don't get me wrong chrisjames61, I agree with you and I really like my 8350. Hell, I like it better then my 4770k and 2500k as well, I just wanted to point out that in most cases the Fx would need to be overclocked slightly higher then the Thuban to equal it's performance.

You are more than welcome. You follow directions very well and have been patient with the process.

Some motherboards have an actual button to push to clear the CMOS. Most have a three pin jumper with the jumper bridging either pins 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. Usually, the default running position is for the jumper to bridge pins 1 and 2 and the clear is pins 2 and 3. Some boards only have two pins with no jumper provided. To clear the CMOS you bridge the two pins with a screwdriver tip or some metal object. Consult your owner's manual for the specific method used by your board.

I'm afraid you were not blessed with a good piece of silicone in the 1100T you have. The high default vcore would indicate that. So that would limit your overclock. A lot of the 1100T CPUs will run 1.325 vcore for default or somewhere thereabouts at stock frequencies.

I found the CMOS jumper. It consist of only 2 pins. Thanks for the tip regarding the location.

Since I wasn't blessed with a good piece of silicone in my CPU, are we wasting our time trying to get this thing OC'ed?
Do you think I will be able to get to 4.0 MHz?

Don't get me wrong chrisjames61, I agree with you and I really like my 8350. Hell, I like it better then my 4770k and 2500k as well, I just wanted to point out that in most cases the Fx would need to be overclocked slightly higher then the Thuban to equal it's performance.

So you like your AMD CPU better than a 4770K? Do you do any intense online gaming?
My 1100T is great when I'm playing a game that is heavily dependent on the GPU but as soon as I start playing a game like a MMO (which are very CPU dependent) then I start wishing to myself that I had gone with Intel instead.

I found the CMOS jumper. It consist of only 2 pins. Thanks for the tip regarding the location.

Since I wasn't blessed with a good piece of silicone in my CPU, are we wasting our time trying to get this thing OC'ed?
Do you think I will be able to get to 4.0 MHz?

Not wasting your time at all. Just adjust your expectations as to how high it's gonna overclock. Go back to your last stable settings and run the Prime95 stress test for 2 hrs. to make sure it's really stable. One thing you can do to get the memory frequency all the way up to 1600 mzh if the CPU overclock is topped out is to lower the CPU multiplier so you can continue to increase the FSB.

Another viable option would be to disable 1 or 2 cores to reduce heat and power consumption. You won't miss them if your primary application is running games. They generally can't take advantage of more than four cores.

No problem Mandrake. Clock for clock Thubans perform marginally better. I really hope that AMD from Kaveri on can clearly increase the IPC to end any debates about older processors outperforming the latest silicon.

Not wasting your time at all. Just adjust your expectations as to how high it's gonna overclock. Go back to your last stable settings and run the Prime95 stress test for 2 hrs. to make sure it's really stable. One thing you can do to get the memory frequency all the way up to 1600 mzh if the CPU overclock is topped out is to lower the CPU multiplier so you can continue to increase the FSB.

Another viable option would be to disable 1 or 2 cores to reduce heat and power consumption. You won't miss them if your primary application is running games. They generally can't take advantage of more than four cores.

I'm back in windows now :)
I pulled the MoBo battery as well as the Ram and kept them out for 30 minutes plus I bridged the CMOS jumper just for good measure and it booted back up.
Yeah The game that I mostly play is not even optimized to utilize 4 cores let alone 6.
Just to make sure, I shouldn't run any other applications during a Prime95 stress test right?

So you like your AMD CPU better than a 4770K? Do you do any intense online gaming?
My 1100T is great when I'm playing a game that is heavily dependent on the GPU but as soon as I start playing a game like a MMO (which are very CPU dependent) then I start wishing to myself that I had gone with Intel instead.
Yes I do like it better, reasons being: I find it just as fast in day to day operations I use all of my rigs for work also, in which they have to process a lot of information very quickly. I find my AMD chips to be much more fun to overclock as well. Yes I do use them for gaming, mind you not on Cpu intensive games. I am usually playing FPS games such as BFBC2, BF3, BF4 etc. I do not find any difference gaming on any of them, mind you my I'm only playing at 1080p resolutions on a GTX 670 or my GTX 580 Gpu and I do not have all the eye candy turned up.
Just to make sure, I shouldn't run any other applications during a Prime95 stress test right?
You can but you're probably better off not running anything other then maybe a browsing window.

Back