• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bad RAM sticks? i think so....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

well, i just got the RMA replacement for my fortron blue storm 500, woohoo! that's the good news. the bad news:i thought the generic psu was my problem, but i think my RAM may have been causing the intability all along. i've run 1 pass of all tests on memtest so far [v1.65] and returned 120 errors. here's the breakdown:
test 3- 13 errors
test 4- 60 errors
test 5- 46 errors
test 6- 1 error
i can list the addresses [in terms of MB] if that will help, but i'm thinking it's pretty clear that my RAM is bad, correct? is it possible that the errors could be corrected with a little bump in voltage? right now they're sitting at the stock/default which IIRC is 2.7v

If it is producing these kind of errors at the stock settings, it has got to be bad RAM.

Have you tried memtest on one stick at a time, to see if it is one of them causing the problems?

not so far i haven't. i'll give that a shot and see what i can come up with. what's a general idea of how many errors you could expect to have and still have RAM that isn't deserving of a trip to the dump?

whoops, forgot about this thread....
after testing the sticks separately [and in different DIMMs] 1 stick is far worse than the other, however i still get a total of 4 errors in test 6 with the 'better' stick. 3 occurences are at the same address. i tried running the computer with just the one stick [the one with less errors], but it still freezes windows. is 4 errors enough to consider the RAM faulty?

Back