• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Bad ram sticks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobkoonce

Registered
I have recently bought components for a new build,

Mobo: GA 970A-D3
CPU: AMD FX 4017
RAM: Corsair Vengence 32 Gig Kit (CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10)
PSU: Raidmax RX-850AE
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 550TI

I have ran Prime95, Sandra, and MemTest86+ among others with the same results (LOTS of PROBLEMS), I replaced the CPU with the same type, and the Mobo with a MSI 970A-G46,, and was comming up with more problems, so I ran MemTest86+ on the ram again placing each stick in DIMM Socket 1 and running the tests on one stick at a time, here are the results.

Ram Stick 1
Test 6 Errors 4
Test 8 Errors 163
Test 9 Errors at 90000 and climbing, I escaped the Memtest program.

Ram Stick 2
Test 8 Errors 62
Test 10 Errors 3

Ram Stick 3
Test 8 Errors 150
Test 10 Errors 10

Ram Stick 4
Test 8 Errors 249
Test 10 Errors 23

Can all the ram sticks in the 32GB kit be bad?
The only components I have not replaced are the Ram, PSU and Video Card.

I don't now where to go from here, any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob Koonce

Did a BIOS update and ran MemTest86+ again and came up with,

Ram stick 4
Test 8 Errors 283
Test 10 Errors 45

The update to BIOS didn't seem to help.

P.S. from what the test showed on Stick 1, do you thinks its fried?

Last edited:
Can all the ram sticks in the 32GB kit be bad?
At JEDEC settings? I'd be really, really surprised, although one friend went through 5 pairs of Corsairs before getting a pair with 0 errors. OTOH I could believe all 4 modules failing at XMP settings because those RAM chips are overclocked at 1866 MHz.

Well I think I'm going to buy some more ram and try them out on this build to see if they are the culprits, any suggestions?

Make sure your RAM settings are correct, timings and voltage and all that.
Settings that aren't quite right can cause errors without completely crashing everything.

Went out and bought (8 GB 2x4 Kit) of Corsair Vengeance ram, ran Memtest86+ thru 3 Passes, total Time 2:05:38, Errors 0, it was the ram.

Thanks for all your inputs and your time.

Sincerely,
bobkoonce

Back