• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battle of Stock Dual Core's - Who wins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
His max stable overclock would be higher if it was a E6400 bignick.
by over 400mhz :eek:
His max SPI1M clocks are impressive however.

his ram is holding him back as well.. and that wouldn't be near the problem it is if he had that extra multi.

get the e6400, http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=E6400BOX as mentioned earlier. ewiz is decent, its where I got my Asus p5wDH from.

If you had a larger budget, i'd go with a e6600 and an asus p5wDH for video editing STOCK. It would kick the preslers butt.

How soon does your friend need this machine? I would have him save up a couple hundred more (assuming he can), and go with my recommendation of a e6600 and asus board, he would be very happy. Especially becuase the asus board has firewire in, external sata, several SATA ports, and runs very well.

What are you thinking about for cooling? And what power supply? I would definately not skimp on a PSU if you want stability.

I posted that link myself. Keep up Ronaldo. And I already said the 945 was not as fast stock to stock. That review has a very mild OC on both processors though. I think they should have at least kept the OC's the same. They took the 1.83 C2D to 2.94 (1110Mhz+ OC) but they only gave the 3.4 pressler 4.2 (600Mhz+ OC). Seems that they wanted to make the C2D shine really hard. There are several benches where the 945 at stock wins. Mostly video editing. And you are correct about Dave B. I was just stating that the E6300/DS3 is not a bad combo.

bignick: sorry i missed that :(
The problem with 9xx and 8xx dual-core Intel processors are they put out Incredible amount of heat, thats why u dont see any of that cpu, overclocked to more than 4-4.2ghz on air. Unlike Conroe that is limited only by FSB of mobo, that mean better mobo, better overclock.(No need for extra cooling setup with Conroe)

@op the Ocz 520W Powerstream has better specs. then the 600W If your going to get an Ocz I would recomend the 520W Powerstream.

You really can't compair 9xx Pressler with 8xx Prescott. Prescott is much hotter than pressler. The C1 and D0 9xx run much cooler than previous presslers and that is what the newer 915's, 930's, 940's, 945's are built with. And we have seen many 930 C1's that will do 4500-4800Mhz on high end air. No dought C2D is the cooler running chip but you see my point.

Here goes my built system...

CPU Intel e6400
MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte DS3
MEMORY Corsair XMS2 2x1024 DDR2 800
CASE Thermaltake SOPRANO VB1000BWS
PSU OCZ 520 PowerStream
VIDEO CARD Saphire X800GTO 512MB PCI Express
HARD DRIVES (TWO) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB 16 MB Cache SATA II

dja2k

dja2k said:
Here goes my built system...

CPU Intel e6400
MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte DS3
MEMORY Corsair XMS2 2x1024 DDR2 800
CASE Thermaltake SOPRANO VB1000BWS
PSU OCZ 520 PowerStream
VIDEO CARD Saphire X800GTO 512MB PCI Express
HARD DRIVES (TWO) Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB 16 MB Cache SATA II

dja2k
looks good! you made sure the ram you getting is the 6400-c4's right? dont get that 6400 stuff from them that has 5-5-5-12 timings.

greenmaji said:
His max stable overclock would be higher if it was a E6400 bignick.
by over 400mhz :eek:
His max SPI1M clocks are impressive however.

his ram is holding him back as well.. and that wouldn't be near the problem it is if he had that extra multi.

there is no guarantee of over 400 more mhz, especially for a machine that is supposed to have a modest oc at best. a e6300 would do just fine as a 24/7 rig at 3.4ghz, though you would need faster memory than you would with the e6400... i think its just a toss up at this point.

dja2k said:
Yep got these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145034 Okay with the e6400 and this ram in the link, for future purposes, what kind of a overclock am I looking at, of course with a better heatsink then?

dja2k
you mean oc on the cpu or ram? the ram might be able to do ddr2-1000 @5-5-5-12. im currently in the middle of testing mine on the rig#1 since i finally got it setup.

Cool about the ram overclocking, but you saying the cpu won't overclock that much right ?

dja2k

bignick said:
All he was saying is C2D is faster if both netberst and C2D have mild overclocks C2D wins. Netburst is only faster if it has a max overclock. I've seen all I need to see that at least stock vs. stock E6300 is the way to go. The only plus with the 945 combo is MUCH cheaper.

Is it? Is the 945 cheaper than the E6300 in the states?

dja2k said:
Cool about the ram overclocking, but you saying the cpu won't overclock that much right ?

dja2k
with the right board e6400 can hit 3.2ghz... if the board can do better 3.4ghz can be had on a e6400. the fsb of the motherboard is holding back the cpu.

Hey Evilsizer, that ram I posted earlier, was it the right one?

dja2k

Evilsizer said:
with the right board e6400 can hit 3.2ghz... if the board can do better 3.4ghz can be had on a e6400. the fsb of the motherboard is holding back the cpu.

And the DS3 is 15mhz shy of setting the world record in FSB :beer:

The DS3 should top out a E6400 CPU for whatever cooling you can throw at it :D mid 3's should be reasonable with decent cooling.

dja2k said:
Hey Evilsizer, that ram I posted earlier, was it the right one?

dja2k
yea if you check the model number listed by newegg it says at the end 6400-c4.

so far the abit ab9 pro is a pita... im ready to umm well you know break it... better get a better bios soon.

Okay system has been ordered for my friend. Now I have to go collect $2,000 making me $400 profit for building it for him. There is no way we can have a pizza party in this forum, is there? :bday: Anyways, thanks all of you for the great help today, would have been lost all the way without you guys.

dja2k

dja2k said:
Okay system has been ordered for my friend. Now I have to go collect $2,000 making me $400 profit for building it for him. There is no way we can have a pizza party in this forum, is there? :bday: Anyways, thanks all of you for the great help today, would have been lost all the way without you guys.

dja2k
well your in texas to, how about dinner some time?:beer:

Back