• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battle of Stock Dual Core's - Who wins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If only my freinds had money lol :D
pizza.. well.. if Evil is close enough to you he can have a slice and a :beer: for me ;)

You guys are welcome to come out to France for the party. I've got a decent (by french standards) pizza place near me. Maybe we could have a lan battle or something :)

Seriously though, Overclockers Forums (hahaha! I keep forgetting there's actually a SITE attached to these forums...) should have some kind of get together. This is probably one of the most, if not THE most, friendly forum environments on the internet.

(I nominate Chicago in the Spring or Summer, Vegas in the winter)

Yeah, I go often to Austin since I am from Laredo and always head off that direction. So Evilwizer, I will go knocking on your door and introduce you again to Budweiser! :beer:

dja2k

Need some help guys, I got the computer running with the ds3 and the e6400. Now what do I do. What do I have to change in the bios? Do I have to change the timmings on the memory, the cpu voltage, anything? Not to familiar with this board and cpu, so I need some help. Without changing anything, memtest is running error free so far for 4 hours. The thing about it, is that memtest doesn't recognize the chipset and also stalls on starting giving the random number sequence thing. Voltage is at normal 1.325 and memory, well don't know, stock. FSB is stock at 1066 mhz for cpu and 800 for memory. I saw some people with stock cooling getting 2.88 ghz with this cpu, WOW! and others getting 3.2 - 3.5 ghz, another WOW! I won't hit that, I am not lucky enough.

dja2k

Last edited:
I would flash to the current bios first f4 atm. I used gigabyte's BIOS windows utility to flash it. After you flash it, reboot and get back into bios, select 'load optimal defaults' from the main bios screen as per their instructions on the download site.

my notes on my ds3 oc were to set the mem ratio at 2:2 which is the lowest it went with my f3 bios level tests, change the pci-x speed to 100 from auto. To get the mem timings and a few other bios settings to show up, you need to do ctrl-f1 on the main bios screen (took me a while to figure that one out :eek: ).

You need to raise the MCH v from auto to at least +.1 V.
I raised my the mem V to +.6 since my memory like lots of volts.

Then just start bumping your fsb speed till she won't go no faster :D
You will need to raise your cpu V at some point to keep going with your fsb increases. At 400 fsb my 6400 needed 1.4375 V, and maxed at 1.4625 V at 444 fsb. Your 6300 will be different i would expect.

Did you get an upgrade for your HSF? the stock will probably limit you due to temps.
And keep an eye on your cpu temps. the icool monitor reports much lower temps with mine on the ds3 than it does using asus probe on my p5b-d :shrug:

Good luck and have fun! :)

At the moment, I will be setting this system at stock speed for now. I previously stated that because of the guy living far away and doesn't not know anything about computer if his overclock fails any day.

dja2k

Okay I have the stock Heatsink and temps are idle 42'C in bios. The timmings for the memory where changed to 4-4-4-12, but cpu-z reads 3-4-4-12. Don't know what the starting voltage on the board is, but the corsair memory requires 1.9 volts. Haven't changed anything else, don't know what else to change if running stock. Also had to update the bios using Q-flash in the bios because the windows flasher would crash even when backing up old bios file. By the way, with me not changing anything in the bios, memory would read 5-5-5-18 and ran memtest all night for about 9 hours and no errors. Sandra reports about double the speed on the cpu benchmark of all the others cpu's on that list. Memory is about 5500 MB\sec. Also why does the cpu fan start fast then slows down making windows gigabyte utility say its extremely low?

dja2k

Last edited:
I flashed it to the newest one in the gigabyte website. Haven't changed anything since the last post and it has been dual prime95 stable (maximum heat test) for about 6 hours now. Will keep it running more.

dja2k

So what, any help on any changes I have to make before I turn over the computer to its owner.

dja2k

nothing really to change but if you put a stock hs on it , well umm i would suggest better. It is up to you i always prefer something better then stock, the cooler the cpu the happier it is. some nice options are these:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thmsforinso7.html
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thulcpucofor.html
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thhrforinso7.html

personally i would suggest the hr-01 but if money is a problem then the u-90. if wanting air flow over fets and chipset then the mst-9775

Well if it was up to me too, I would put the best heatsink, but that is not the problem. This friend of mine is such a cheap skate and gave me a tight budget. Don't know if you remember how I was trying to save money here and there with the help of you guys at the start of this thread. So screw him, let him stay pure stock right now. He'll be okay with the stock heatink for now wouldn't he? Oh well, I will tell him though. Anyways thanks. As I said, its pretty speedy and don't know how the temps go, but idle at 42'C and saw only 55'C with dual prime95, but that isn't real processing per say when encoding video or playing video games in the real world. I did have the stock voltage at 1.325, don't know if that is high for stock. The memory again is at +.1 = 1.9 voltage. Don't know if I had to change the pci frequency stuff for stock and also, the timmings say 3-4-4-12 instead of 4-4-4-12 on cpu-z. Still passed over 10 hours of memtest and over 10 hours of dual prime95 (maximum heat) and so far 5 hours of prime95 (blend test). This core 2 duo makes my pentium 4 cry. :mad:

dja2k

dja2k said:
Well if it was up to me too, I would put the best heatsink, but that is not the problem. This friend of mine is such a cheap skate and gave me a tight budget. Don't know if you remember how I was trying to save money here and there with the help of you guys at the start of this thread. So screw him, let him stay pure stock right now. He'll be okay with the stock heatink for now wouldn't he? Oh well, I will tell him though. Anyways thanks. As I said, its pretty speedy and don't know how the temps go, but idle at 42'C and saw only 55'C with dual prime95, but that isn't real processing per say when encoding video or playing video games in the real world. I did have the stock voltage at 1.325, don't know if that is high for stock. The memory again is at +.1 = 1.9 voltage. Don't know if I had to change the pci frequency stuff for stock and also, the timmings say 3-4-4-12 instead of 4-4-4-12 on cpu-z. Still passed over 10 hours of memtest and over 10 hours of dual prime95 (maximum heat) and so far 5 hours of prime95 (blend test). This core 2 duo makes my pentium 4 cry. :mad:

dja2k
yea c2d is a monster compared to netburst. well the only reason i am agianst stock hs's is they can get loud when temps start getting high. was just a suggestion though. you know he will be happy with it then if it is busting you p4's knee caps.

The new beta bio's, F4c, fixes the memory timeing display error, but its more of a technicality, what you have it set in the bio's is actually what its running with the F3's from Gigabytes website.

Thanks for the replies. About the stock heatsink loudness, is that why its only running at about 1000 RPM? Does it adjusts itself because I have not seen it get loud at all.

dja2k

dja2k said:
Does it adjusts itself because I have not seen it get loud at all.

Yes and it must not have gotten hot enough yet.

Your temp readings could be off since they are likely software based or the fan doesnt spin up untill your hitting a higher temp.

Joeteck said:
Thats freakin awesome!! An AMD FX-62 (2.8Ghz), is slower than a E6600 (2.4ghz). Sweet. Its about time Intel!!!

It certainly made AMD back off on using the "Intel Equivalent" numbers. AMD would now have to lower the number. :D

Okay guys, I built a second computer for another friend with the same e6400 cpu and ds3 motherboard. I flashed the bios to F5 and now I forgot the basics. What was the option to make more things appear in the bios? Also with the corsair pc26400, am I suppose to up the voltage on the vdimm, if so how much, last time I set it to +.1 giving who know, but now that I look at it, this ram wants 2.1volts, so how much should I + the voltage?

dja2k

dja2k said:
Okay guys, I built a second computer for another friend with the same e6400 cpu and ds3 motherboard. I flashed the bios to F5 and now I forgot the basics. What was the option to make more things appear in the bios? Also with the corsair pc26400, am I suppose to up the voltage on the vdimm, if so how much, last time I set it to +.1 giving who know, but now that I look at it, this ram wants 2.1volts, so how much should I + the voltage?

dja2k
the normal setting in that board would be 1.8v. i think the key combo was ctrl+F1 or ctrl-F2, its in the manual.

Back