• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Taxation of Online Orders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh yeah... I almost forgot about house tax. Pay yearly taxes to your county for your home and each vehicle as well. Sounds like the same thing as your council tax.

There's vehicle tax but that's kinda avoidable from not having one, or getting a tax exempt one (think electric cars have been exempt in UK). The other taxes are pretty much unavoidable if you want anything resembling a normal life. Fortunately I got my current petrol car when they were pushing for low emissions, and my annual car tax is equivalent to US$26. My car before that was in the hundreds...

There's vehicle tax but that's kinda avoidable from not having one, or getting a tax exempt one (think electric cars have been exempt in UK). The other taxes are pretty much unavoidable if you want anything resembling a normal life. Fortunately I got my current petrol car when they were pushing for low emissions, and my annual car tax is equivalent to US$26. My car before that was in the hundreds...

I find it interesting that it is fairly easy to not have a vehicle in the UK, but here it is almost a necessity except for certain areas. My car I pay over $300/yr in county/city taxes, but my truck is something like $30/yr.

I find it interesting that it is fairly easy to not have a vehicle in the UK, but here it is almost a necessity except for certain areas. My car I pay over $300/yr in county/city taxes, but my truck is something like $30/yr.

I did wonder that. In areas well served by public transport, it can be a viable option, but for a lot of people cars are a necessity. I have friends who live within walking distance of shops and their work, so they never needed a car. Even on longer trips the train and bus services are adequate for them. On the other end, there is a housing shortage. A common complaint is that where new houses are built are not well served by facilities. It is almost a requirement to have a car to use such housing. For my commute there is no practical public transport option that is both affordable and would take a reasonable amount of time.

I was considered crazy by some when I was planning my US trip, wondering if I really need to rent a car while I was there :D From the ideal hotel it would have taken around 20 minutes walk to get to work, and downtown was also a short walk away. In the end I had to stay at a hotel some miles out which made the decision for me. If I wanted to travel, there's always Uber, which I used anyway e.g. if I wanted some drinks. In a more built up area, maybe I could have got away with walking. At least most places had free parking otherwise it would be hell.

I did wonder that. In areas well served by public transport, it can be a viable option, but for a lot of people cars are a necessity. I have friends who live within walking distance of shops and their work, so they never needed a car. Even on longer trips the train and bus services are adequate for them. On the other end, there is a housing shortage. A common complaint is that where new houses are built are not well served by facilities. It is almost a requirement to have a car to use such housing. For my commute there is no practical public transport option that is both affordable and would take a reasonable amount of time.

I was considered crazy by some when I was planning my US trip, wondering if I really need to rent a car while I was there :D From the ideal hotel it would have taken around 20 minutes walk to get to work, and downtown was also a short walk away. In the end I had to stay at a hotel some miles out which made the decision for me. If I wanted to travel, there's always Uber, which I used anyway e.g. if I wanted some drinks. In a more built up area, maybe I could have got away with walking. At least most places had free parking otherwise it would be hell.

In my area anywhere downtown is pay to park, but a couple of minutes outside that area parking is free... I just avoid downtown :p

here in the us, south east, georgia, my personal net tax rate is %55, this includes all the hidden taxes, fuel taxes, "fees" on the cable bill and so forth, add A %20 vat tax and I'm right up there with europe!!!!!! (and headed to china).

Back