• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Beginners: How to set your 25/6/700K to 4.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks though I read that Internal PLL Overvoltage is not needed unless you're going for higher OCs? 4.5+? I bumped up LLC to level2 from level 3.

Current settings:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Firing up prime95 torture test for a bit.

somegeek

Thanks though I read that Internal PLL Overvoltage is not needed unless you're going for higher OCs? 4.5+? I bumped up LLC to level2 from level 3.

Current settings:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Firing up prime95 torture test for a bit.

somegeek

On my MB, ASUS P8Z68, the LLC is from lowest to highest,1 to 5. It may differ on your board. And by the way, with that Cooler Master 212 you could go 4.5Ghz. I had that same cooler and had no problem with temps. I wanted to get to 4.8Ghz so I got a different cooler. After getting the frequency I wanted I still run 4.5Ghz for 24/7 any way. Let us know how you come along.

im trying to get mine OC to 4.5 it will boot but not enter windows so have turned it down to 4.3 anyone else having issues with this or know how i could fix it ?

thanks

Welcome! You are going to have to do better than that for us to help! Need more info... board, voltages you tried, etc.

I tried my I5-2500k and Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 on 4.5 last night.

During the Intel Burn Test it hit 87-89 degrees on 3 of the cores. I went ahead and stopped the test. From what I gathered this is too hot right even for the test right?

Last edited:
sorry yeah i have

MB Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
Cooler Enermax ETS-T40-TB CPU Cooler
PSU Thermaltake 750
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8g
HDD Corsair Performance SSD

@ the moment my OC 4.3 is @ 1.25 Vcore

when trying the 4.5

1.35 Vocre ( have tested from 1.30 to 1.39 )
1.150 QPI/VTT
1.100 Graphic Core
1.815 CPU PLL
1.510 DRAM i get the boot but not entering windows i have alos tried
LLC @ lvl5

also i have tried these settings
Vcore = NORMAL
DVID = +.050 (when Vcore was set to NORMAL)
QPI/VTT = 1.150
PLL = 1.815

so i have tried all these setting with no success to OC to 4.5 just boots with windows failing

Last edited:
I tried my I5-2500k and Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 on 4.5 last night.

During the Intel Burn Test it hit 87-89 degrees on 3 of the cores. I went ahead and stopped the test. From what I gathered this is too hot right even for the test right?

Cpu cooler? Case? Are you sure fans are on max? CPU cooler is installed tight and properly? 87-89 sucks. It's not damaging suck but it's suck. I'd draw the line and pull the plug at 90 but again, if you pass the IBT and P95 you have to keep in mind actual use temps will be lower. If your CPU cooler is infact installed properly it'd be wise to go to a higher quality one but again, actual use is maybe 65 or that area even though ibt is 87 and p95 is 80.

sorry yeah i have

MB Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
Cooler Enermax ETS-T40-TB CPU Cooler
PSU Thermaltake 750
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8g
HDD Corsair Performance SSD

@ the moment my OC 4.3 is @ 1.25 Vcore

when trying the 4.5

1.35 Vocre ( have tested from 1.30 to 1.39 )
1.150 QPI/VTT
1.100 Graphic Core
1.815 CPU PLL
1.510 DRAM i get the boot but not entering windows i have alos tried
LLC @ lvl5

also i have tried these settings
Vcore = NORMAL
DVID = +.050 (when Vcore was set to NORMAL)
QPI/VTT = 1.150
PLL = 1.815

so i have tried all these setting with no success to OC to 4.5 just boots with windows failing

You should be ok. You MAY have one of those 5% chips that don't do 4.5 (insert sad face).
You do seem to be screwing with too many different options just to get 4.5. I'd wipe it and start clean and just do what's in the guide, turn on PLL overvoltage but don't actually change the PLL voltage. See what, if anything, your CPU wants to hit 4.5. If it actually WILL do it but it takes like 1.41v, you have (sorry) a bum CPU and keeping it at like 4.2 may be wise(r). Nothing outside 'stock' is guaranteed. My CPU may be golden and do 4.8 at less than 1.35. It happens. (It's not but just an example). Meanwhile person B payed same $ same CPU but theirs won't even DO 4.8, or even 4.5. It's a crappshoot. They should call it crappshooting instead of overclocking. You're only guaranteed the speed on the cpu's box. Anything else is 'you got lucky' as far as the mfg is concerned.

Cpu cooler? Case? Are you sure fans are on max? CPU cooler is installed tight and properly? 87-89 sucks. It's not damaging suck but it's suck. I'd draw the line and pull the plug at 90 but again, if you pass the IBT and P95 you have to keep in mind actual use temps will be lower. If your CPU cooler is infact installed properly it'd be wise to go to a higher quality one but again, actual use is maybe 65 or that area even though ibt is 87 and p95 is 80.

I updated my sig with the specs today. I was running the fans off the mobo and had qfan disabled. Will try it again to see if they are in fact maxed out. Nexus 120mm Exhaust is about 1100 rpm maxed. I think the Nexus 92mm are about 1500. Would need to double check. I know this case is not the coolest running but I keep the house at 72 deg f. I might have to settle for a louder case and fans.

Ya the 212+ is fine for the 2500K but that assumes you have decent airflow, like at least an Antec 300 with all the fan positions incl side populated. Otherwise it can be pushing it. Again though if you keep it very clean and stay on top of it you can get away with it. Run HWmon while you play more demanding games for an hour or so then go back and see what the max temperatures were. Nothing does what IBT does in the real world.

Really ED? What was the tempraturs like? I figured that kind of load was outside the 212's thermal envelope given the 2600 runs hotter. With enough cool airflow you can do anything though. I had a 3 degree idle on my E6550 with 32F ambient last winter.

Really ED? What was the tempraturs like? I figured that kind of load was outside the 212's thermal envelope given the 2600 runs hotter. With enough cool airflow you can do anything though. I had a 3 degree idle on my E6550 with 32F ambient last winter.
I believe the force is strong with that one.;)

I changed the Nexus Exhaust out for an Antec Tricool on high. The Cpu fan and exhaust fan are on mobo headers. QFan is off. The two 92mm Nexus intakes are off the 4pin Molex and through a fan controller. Both are on high. I got mixed up and ran the Intel Burn Test First.

Temps are still up there.

IBTResults.png

THey're gonna stay pretty high with that sort of fan layout. You'd need to go to much higher speed fans to get anything done. A 3000RPM exhaust fan/intake fans setup would solve your issues but it'd be very loud. This stuff just needs more cooling these days. I have 6 in fans and 3 out fans on my case. It's ridiculous sounding but IMO we've really run into the "this crapp runs to hot" era of X86 computing. Just keep the cabling as clean as you can, make sure the heatsink is on snug and keep it very clean. Remove dustfilters if you are using any as they reduce air flow. Or, get a new case for not too much $ that has really good air flow options like a Corsair 400R.

I think I'll put it back on auto for the time being and I'll look into a new case after a while.

I've had p95 blend going for about 2 hrs now and looks like 76 deg is the max temp on the hottest core.

With a yate loon high on high I could bench there no problem. 4.5ghz 24/7 was easy and not noisey. Ambients were 19/20c.

I'll keep that in mind. I know you mentioned the Antec 300 and the Corsair 400R. Are there any other good cheaper alternatives to consider?

We will be doing spring break in Houston next week so a trip to Frys and Microcenter would be possible. I don't really care for LED fans so if any were included they would have to be changed.

Back