• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bent Pins in LGA1155 Socket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good magnifying glass and a very small tool to bend them straite. I've fixed worse, can be time consuming though. But that looks like a 2 minute job.

Just be gentle and don't rush!

A buddy just picked up a z77 mb for 40 off ebay because of bent pins , he got his working no problem .

Thanks. I picked this up last night on craigslist, and I honestly couldn't even see the bent pins until I was right up next to the socket with a 50 LED flashlight at home.

As much as I would "love" to manually bend the pins back into place (you're probably right that it's only a 2 minute job), since it's a board I plan on keeping I may just RMA it (it still has 2 years left). You don't think Asus would make a big stink about the bent pins (ie: user applied too much force to insert/remove the CPU)?

And on that note, I have no idea how the f*** you even bend those sockets like that....

Fixable if they don't snap off. Be very gentle bending them back into place.

Generally bent pins voids the warranty, as using the board correctly cannot bend bins.

OK, I will try bending it back first. As long as the pins aren't shorted, can I do any damage to the CPU?

As long as they aren't shorting to another pin or the wrong CPU pad, no.

I've bent a lot of these pins back into place. I'm always being careful to install the CPU carefully and not drop anything in the socket. Pins get bent anyways. If you install or swap CPUs regularly it seems inevitable to me.

I've found the key to getting a good fix is to go slow and be patient - under correct. The worst thing is over correcting, as they can get brittle and I've seen people break off pins. Just under correct and gradually get the pins back where they belong.

Also use the lighting to your advantage, hold the board at the right angle so you can easily see the tip of the pin you are focused on and I find that helps. I usually use an exacto knife.

Bent pins on CPU's are a NIGHTMARE, I managed to straighten bent pins on my Phenom II X4 955 with a pin that's from heavy curtains, a thick sewing needle should also work, just slide it between all the pins and under the bent pin and lift the outside end gently while keeping the pointy end against the chip. I tried toothpicks but they're way too thick.

Those pins in the SS look tricky though.

I'll take bent pins on a CPU over bent pins in the socket anyday... CPU pins you bend back straight. Socket pins are smaller, more compact, and are bent to start with so getting them lined back up is a headache.

In the past I have used a mechanical pencil with no lead in it , and stuck the pin in the end where the lead comes out and used that .

I managed to bend a pin on an Intel P67 mobo, ironically it happens when I remove the plastic pin protector cover on the socket. It was bent pretty bad so I broke it trying to fix it. Oddly mobo works fine :shrug:. Perhaps its a pin for the on die GPU? which I don't use.... it's a 2700K btw. I even did a simple overclock to 4.5ghz by just adjusting the turbo boost to 45, no ill effects :D so far.

I managed to bend a pin on an Intel P67 mobo, ironically it happens when I remove the plastic pin protector cover on the socket. It was bent pretty bad so I broke it trying to fix it. Oddly mobo works fine :shrug:. Perhaps its a pin for the on die GPU? which I don't use.... it's a 2700K btw. I even did a simple overclock to 4.5ghz by just adjusting the turbo boost to 45, no ill effects :D so far.

Probably a GPU pin you broke off. I have an old Athlon system with 2 pins on the CPU broken off, and it runs just fine.

I'd guess vcore or GND, there are a ton of both. Individually they aren't especially important.

OK, I gave it a try:

The only thing I'm not sure about is in the last picture, it looks like the pin needs to be rotated about 90deg, but I'm afraid I may break it if I try to rotate it...

DSC03203_zps70ba1391.jpg

DSC03208_zps13622f61.jpg

DSC03209_zps247a410a.jpg

DSC03210_zps35565149.jpg

DSC03211_zpsec1fcc91.jpg

Yep .5 mechanical pencil works just slip it over the pin and bend. But, I have tried to bend back a couple of pins like the ones in the picture almost 90 degree bends and broke them. Those kind of bends are the worst since the part that needs bent is thickest and the thin end that contacts the CPU is hard to keep from breaking b/c it is so much thinner.

Edit: may be easier to bend the whole pin over a little to make the end contact the CPU pad doesn't have to look pretty just needs and electrical connection. Just an idea... seems like it would be safer than rebending the pin end itself.

Last edited:
I think I would move it over a little bit and up, and just let it contact with the side. Then I'd hope it's not a high amp pin.

Other than the 90deg rotated pin, does everything else look ok?

I see another pin that needs to be rotated 45deg in that first grouping of bent pins. This was a first pass of 30 minutes or so, and I will try again tomorrow.

Thank you all so much for the help!

Back