• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy does it again....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And why would anyone counterfiet $2 bills? I think counterfieting them (57 in this case) would cost more than the money itself.

Xtreme Barton said:
they waited for what ?? the police to show up ???

whether they be paranoid or not .. they did what they felt was best .. they checked into it ..

The guy paid, had a radio installed, and was called back to the store. Simply they waited. It should of been delt with on the spot unless they had some extremly bad management in that store. When I worked there, if there was an issue you'd call the manager over ASAP. Simple as that if they wanted to cover there butts.

deathman20 said:
The guy paid, had a radio installed, and was called back to the store. Simply they waited. It should of been delt with on the spot unless they had some extremly bad management in that store. When I worked there, if there was an issue you'd call the manager over ASAP. Simple as that if they wanted to cover there butts.

well from the sounds of it he paid "regualry" the first time.. not having to pay install.. then later they called him saying that he had to pay the install fee..

then he went back the next day with 2 dllar bills..

he waited ..

and then when he paid in 2 dollar bills one looked funny. im sure a manager was called then .. im sure two were called.. then the police.. etc..

but to directly blame this sitaution on best buy .. at most i'll agree it was both there faults but not just best buy's or the police.. if i were that guy i wouldnt have went back to pay them for the install.. i would have tracked down the guy who said it was free and had them talk to the guy..

1. BestBuy, tell the guy he owes nothing for install charges. (fault: BB.)

2. They (BB) call the guy at home and tell him he needs to pay the charge of installation, which he says he will do the following day. He get's there and starts to pay when the cashier says "she doesn't have to take the money" BEFORE they even noticed the smear. (fault: BB again for being asses, it doesn't matter what he was paying with, money is money.)

3. They notice the smear, call the managers, then the cops. (fault: BB again because they called the cops.)

4. Cops get there and detain the guy, handcuff him, take him to jail where he is later hancuffed to a pole. (fault: cops stupidity for not knowing what to do and for handcuffing the poor guy to a pole for 3 hours.)

I think the main thing is BB wanted to be asses to him because he was paying in 2 dollar bills, which he had several because he is a tour operator.

"I told them, 'I'm a tour operator. I've got thousands of these bills. I get them from my bank. You got a problem, call the bank"

All they had to do was call the bank, but they didn't.

When BB was contacted, "A Best Buy manager refused comment"...why no comment? Because they know their asses were in the wrong. Simple as that.

The only smart thing that was done was call the Secret Service. Amazing that they knew the Secret Service belonged to the treasury department.

man_utd said:
The only smart thing that was done was call the Secret Service. Amazing that they knew the Secret Service belonged to the treasury department.

They probably got referred there after calling everywhere BUT the secret service. :p

That is so wrong. I can't believe Best Buy did that. Do people not know $2 bills are legal. I am going to my bank and get a bunch of $1 gold coins and taking them to Best Buy and buying a CD player.

man, if i were that guy there are a few things that i would do:
1) buy the stereo and install it myselft for free, it's not the hardest thing in the world, and i would feel much safer from those idiots in BB touching my car (i've heard horrible things about audio installation)
2) He should have refused the charges for the installation fee, and the threatening on the phone should be taking account for, if he wouldda take a stand there, then BB probably pay him a little money to shut him up, and there is no way BB can take the money from him, the installation is done, the bill is done, there is no way BB would do anything for you if you don't pay them up front, cash or credit, does not matter, got to pay before you leave, that's just a fact.
3) he should sue every single one of those who got involve, believe me, he take this case to a lawyer and they'll come up with things to sue that no one ever thought of, that's like money in the pocket
This is the most outragous thing i've heard so far... that dude should take action. he'll get more than a new set of stereo after this, lol, it would be so great to be in his shoe right now, he should call up every lawyer in the city and work on BB. and the police too.

Last edited:
Definitely an interesting scenario. I myself am 17 right now and have a large stash of 2 dollar bills complements of one of my aunts. At this point if I were best buy I would probably make sure to inform my employees that these bills are in fact legal, but it is kinda funny how they were all in order. Then again I am sure many of these bills aren't printed anymore and not many people intentionally get them(or know about them) so the bank probably was just handing him fresh prints still stacked from the Mint. So far I haven't had any problems to date with my BB, and I found that most employees have a general idea about what there talking about ( gotta give them a little test hehe), and are rather friendly. I have returned multiple graphics cards, routers,headphones,etc that were malfunctioning with no questions asked (other then is it broke and is everything here). Well knock on wood something like this doesn't happen to me lol.

Lastly as stated earliar I think you can get denied if you use to many coins to pay for something. I know gold coins are legal and all but paying in 50-60 gold coins for ex. might not be excepted(I am not sure what the tolerance for coins is such as the 50 bucks=5000 pennies which they can refuse). In this case anyhow I wouldn't be surprised to get denied.

Everybody is advised to do the folling henceforths:

-Take your lawyer buddy along when you shop at BB

-Get every word the sales person says on tape :D

But seriously, I think the Police overreacted a bit. There was no need to lock the guy up and worse, shackle him. He could have been made to wait in the interrogation room. There is something called discretion.

As for BB, this was a plain case of blatant dishonesy. Many choice words come to mind when I think of BB :rolleyes:

mista ting said:
im consfused how is putting "boyscott best buy" in our sig is gonna make them shut down ?

lol.. boyScott

just do it, and watch them crumble at your mercy... lol

ElectroX said:
I think I'll apply at BestBuy just so I can tell people how much cheaper they can get the sames things else where.
I love you! lol

You know, I've bought TWO things from bestbuy my whole life. I bought NHL 2001 from there in 2001 b/c my friend said he'd split it with me if I bought it for my PS2. I said "hell, why not." I also bought a pair of ear clipping Sony headphones for $9.99. That was a steal, so I had to.

That's about it! You won't have to worry about me buying from BestBuy. :cool: I've spent a total of $34.98 there my whole life.

I just read through this whole thread because the start post caught my interest.

Now it surely won't be allowed to open a discussion on it, but i read 'sue them' at least 10 times. It makes me sad. What happened to 'grab a beer and laugh about it' or 'accept apologies'?

Last edited:
Everyone's in for the "easy money" nowadays. Only in America...

Sjaak said:
I just read through this whole thread because the start post caught my interest.

Now it surely won't be allowed to open a discussion on it, but i read 'sue them' at least 10 times. It makes me sad. What happened to 'grab a peer and laugh about it' or 'accept apologies'?
theres no reason not to want to restitution in this situation. i sometimes question how legit lawsuits are, but this one seems clear that there were multiple people who were stupid, and embarrased and falsly detained this guy. i'd say thats a legit complaint that deserves a lawsuit.

Back