• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better OC for my OCZ Platinum RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stabilo

Registered
Hi everyone.
First of all, sorry for my english !

My configuration are:
CPU: AMD PHENOM X4 955 BlackEdition
MOTHER: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
RAM: - OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333MHz / Platinum Edition / CL 7-7-7 tim.
POWER: MODECOM CARBON MC 530W
VGA: ASUS GTX560 DCII TOP 1GB

My goal is to setup CPU at 3.8GHZ/3.9GHz with my memory at 1333(or better) stable.
Defaults BIOS settings give the memory speed at 1066 when autoconfiguration are active.
When i try to set it up at 667 or 800 MHz i have the pleasure to deal with a very unstable system.
Currently my memory working in GANGED mode - my current configuration is 3.79GHz CPU and the RAM 1225 stable, <-- thanks to CPU/HT and 1.89V for memory.

Can you help me set up BIOS for better RAM OC ?

My current configuration:
CPU/HT Reference Clock (MHz) [230]
GPU OverClocking [Auto]
PCIE OverClocking [Auto]
Processor Frequency Multiplier [x16.5 3300 MHz]
CPU/NB Frequency [Auto]
CPU Over Voltage [1.50000]
VDDNB Over Voltage [1.30000]
CPU VDDA Voltage [Auto]
LoadLine Calibration [Auto]
----------------------------------------------
HT Link Frequency [Auto]
HT Link Width [16bit]
HT Over Voltage [Auto]
Memclock Value [533MHz]
DRAM Timing Mode [Both]
All timings are set to AUTOCFG !!
MemoryOverVoltage [1.89000]
Chipset Over Voltage [Auto]
SB Over Voltage [Auto]
ACPI SRAT Table [Enabled]
Probe Filter [Auto]
Advenced Clock Calibration [Per Core]
Unleashing Mode [Enabled]
Active CPU Cores [Auto]
Value (Core0) [-2%]
Value (Core1) [-2%]
Value (Core2) [-2%]
Value (Core3) [-2%]
Bank Interleving [Auto]
Channel Interleaving [Disabled]
Enabled Clock to All DIMMs [Enabled]
MemClk Tristate C3/ATLVID [Enabled]
Memory Hole Remapping [Enabled]
DCT Unganged Mode [Auto]
Power Down Enabled [Disabled]

Last edited:
I tried, unfortunately, when i set the HT to 200MHz and x19 multiplier = 3.8GHz + Value Memclock and DRAM [666MHz] -
i have very unstable system - sometimes windows freez at loading, sometimes 2 minutes after sys load.

With all voltages on Auto except Vcore at 1.40V, try bumping Chipset Over Voltage to ~1.15V w/ VDDNB at 1.20V, this w/ the DRAM voltage at 1.80V. Then boot to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive before attempting to boot into the OS.

Ok.
Now my setting are:

CPU/HT Reference Clock (MHz) [200]
GPU OverClocking [Auto]
PCIE OverClocking [Auto]
Processor Frequency Multiplier [x19 3800 MHz]
CPU/NB Frequency [Auto]
CPU Over Voltage [1.40000]
VDDNB Over Voltage [1.20000]
CPU VDDA Voltage [Auto]
LoadLine Calibration [Auto]
HT Link Frequency [Auto]
HT Link Width [16bit]
HT Over Voltage [Auto]
Memclock Value [667MHz]
DRAM Timing Mode [Both]
All timings are set to AUTOCFG !!
MemoryOverVoltage [1.80000]
Chipset Over Voltage [1.16000]
SB Over Voltage [Auto]

I try test it. I think the memtest will test my ram at least minimum 8 hours.
So i try to wrote tommorow.

Last edited:
I suspect one problem you have is that the DRAM voltage is at 1.89. That's high and can cause instability. Almost all DDR3 ram is designed to run on either 1.5v or 1.65v. A small bump in voltage can often help stability but you have given a very large bump!

It would be much easier to help you if you would attach screenshots of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" with your next post. CPU-z is a free program that gives lots of information about your system and your bios settings. The SPD tab will display the memory manufacturer's recommendations for the ram's timings and voltages at various frequencies.

To attach screen shots with your posts, first crop and save to disc the desired images using Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories. Please don't capture the whole desktop but crop and save the individual images so that the pics are large enough to see the values.

Then click on the Go Advanced button found at the bottom of any new post window. Then click on the little paperclip icon at the top when the Advanced post window appears. This will bring up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is obvious.

Please go back and read my post. Having only the CPU and Memory tabs from CPU-z doesn't tell us all we need to know. Need the SPD tab as well.

Also, if you haven't done this already you will need to disable Cool N Quiet and C1E. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. That should disable all the power-saving, "green" stuff that downclocks frequencies and voltages and interferes with overclocking in the higher ranges.

And disable Unleashing Mode. You don't have any cores to unlock with that CPU and having it enabled interferes with the ability to monitor core temps.

I would also put Chipset Overvoltage to Auto. You sholdn't need any extra for that.

Here you go. SPD images uploaded.
Control Power Option set to max.
Unleashing mode disabled.
Chipset Overvoltage set to auto

What is C1E ? and what software should I use to check the CPU temperature ?

Last edited:
Is this the ram you have? http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr3-pc3-10666-platinum-edition.html

My thought is this is an early DDR3 memory product that required 1.8 volts to run at the advertised 1333 mhz frequnecy and the advertised timings of 7-7-7-x. This frequency and this timing is the extended or overclocked mode of the ram, i.e., what it will do when pushed to the edge under ideal conditions. I can also tell you that many motherboards and CPUs will not like playing with ram that requires voltage set that high in order to be stable at a certain frequency and timings. Especially when you are using four sticks of ram as that places extra strain on the CPU ICM (Integrated Memory Controller). I think these circumstances are why you are unstable.

Your system will be much happier I think if you will run the ram at 1066 mhz, 1.525v and the timings you see in JEDEC #3 of the SPD tab.

I would also suggest that you invest in some better ram. OCZ is not a quality ram maker. NewEgg doesn't even offer their products these days and I don't think OCZ is even making ram any longer. When you buy your next ram, get the low voltage ram that will run at advertised speeds on only 1.5v. And buy a dual channel kit with only two sticks.

Last edited:
I would also suggest you run your ram in unganged instead of ganged mode.

Is this the ram you have? http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr3-pc3-10666-platinum-edition.htmlI would also suggest that you invest in some better ram. OCZ is not a quality ram maker. NewEgg doesn't even offer their products these days and I don't think OCZ is even making ram any longer. When you buy your next ram, get the low voltage ram that will run at advertised speeds on only 1.5v. And buy a dual channel kit with only two sticks.

OCZ ram was plenty good. They exited the memory market because it is overcrowded and it was likely affecting their margins.

The ram should run at it's rated speed and voltage just fine.

When Egg was carrying OCZ ram it got consistently poorer customer ratings than Corsair, GSkill, and Muskin. Now I know customer reviews are often to be take with a grain of salt because of the idiots who don't know what they're doing but in this scenario that should have been equal across the brand spectrum. There's not much you can goof up with ram. Corsair seemed to turn out a lot of unstable and DOA sticks.

I found this while we are on the subject of OCZ memory: http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20235

OCZ strikes me as a company that typically puts out middle to low middle of the road quality products. Hardly anything they make is top drawer. The best thing they ever made was the Vendetta II CPU cooler, one of the early exposed heat pipe technology air coolers.

Last edited:
Ok, so what should i looking for ?
Can you be more specyfic and suggest some good and fast types of ram for OC.
Can you type by exact model numbers and vendor names.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Hard to find those F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH in my country.

I consider changing motherboard for somethings better, maybe ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 DDR3 890FX.

I thought that maybe it is a good idea to purchase a memory with clock 2000MHz ?
Can you recommend something ?

Back