• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better OC for my OCZ Platinum RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You're missing the point. It's not the motherboard that limits the speed your memory will run at necessarily, it's the CPU itself. The memory controller is built into the CPU (ICM, "Integrated Memory Controller"). The memory controller is rated for 1333 mhz. On the Deneb core CPUs like you have they will not run stable at 1600 mhz. You would need to upgrade to a Thuban core or a Bulldozer FX to be able to handle greater than 1333 mhz.

Besides that, there is essentially no performance advantage when you run memory above 1333 mhz. The present generation of CPUs, both AMD and Intel simply cannot use more bandwidth than what 1333 mhz memory will provide.

Ok, so i try to run my OCZ memory at 1333MHz.

If I am successful, I leave the current memory because change in the other with the same speed will not be felt in hardware performance. ?

Yes ?

Ok, so i try to run my OCZ memory at 1333MHz.

Were you trying to run it faster than that before? If so, this was the problem all along. I wish you had said that, it would have saved all of us a lot of time.

If I am successful, I leave the current memory because change in the other with the same speed will not be felt in hardware performance. ?

Yes ?

This is true.
/QUOTE]

Wait a minute, you said in your first post that you had already tried it at 667 and it wasn't stable. That's the ram bus frequency and is the same as the 1333 mhz DDR3 transfer rate. Just a different way of expressing it. The DDR3 transfer rate is 2x the bus frequency.

The instability you were experiencing as you described it in post #1 was probably not due to the ram if you were only running the ram at 1333 mhz. It was probably due to other settings having to do with the CPU multiplier or voltage or the CPUNB voltatge or even to high core temps. Have you been monitoring your core temps as you have been overclocking? That is critical.

You should download and install the free progams "HWMOnitor" and "Prime95". Open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while your run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Watch core temps on HWMonitor. If you're core temps exceed about 55c then they are likely to be the cause of instability.

Last edited:
Your motherboard supports all the PII X4 Deneb core CPUs up through the 975. You shouldn't have to change anything. Your components should be compatible with each other. You just need to learn how to overclock properly.

Please create a "Sig" so that your system information travels with each post you make. As it is not people have to refer all the way back to your first post to learn what hardware you have. To make a Sig click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then click on Edit Signature. You can use mine if you want a pattern.

What kind of CPU cooler are you using? Are you using the stock CPU cooler? If so, heat is probably the problem with your instability. Please add your CPU cooler type in your SIG.

It does not good to see what your temps are at idle. It's when you put a heavy load on the system that is what counts. Please do this again while you are running Prime95 blend test in order to put the CPU under 100% load.

When i try to put on heavy loads i have blue screens (set to 1333MHz).
No i try to dowgrade to 1066MHz and try once again put in heavy stress.

Well, with Memclock Value [533MHz] and 1.6V still have bule screen in stress.
Try to pull up to 1.8V with [533MHz]

Something s wrong, i can't test it in prime95, i have blue screens all the time.
Try to downgrade CPU to base speed.

Ok, now with CPU clock 3.3GHz everything is all right:
In big stress i have max60*C tempearture on all cores.
Perhaps CPU getting too little voltage, ant that wos the problem of bluescreens ?

o85vlh.jpg

I try pull up memory to 1333MHz with 1.8V nad CPU at base speed 3.3GHz
Works well ..

2rnhtdz.jpg

So my problem is CPU OC ?

Succed running at 3.5GHz CPU and 1333MHz RAM.
All cores have 64*C
What voltage should i pull up to proceed with better CPU OC ?

Last edited:
You do not have good enough cooling to overclock very much at all. We no from experience that with an overclocked CPU when core temps begin to exceed mid 50s, the CPU becomes unstable and you get blue screens. Running 20 minutes of Prime95 blend without blue screen, lockups, restarts or Prime95 core workers dropping out (any these mean its not stable) is not long enough to conclude you are truly stable. Your would need to pass the Prime95 blend test for at least two hours to feel comfortable your system is stable at a given level of overclock.

It does sound like you have your memory problem ironed out now but you must do this longer Prime95 blend test to make sure it is stable. If it is not, you will need to adjust the CPU multiplier down some more. One thing that usually helps is to increase the CPUNB voltage to about 1.25.

What country are you in? Is it hot there?

You have not created your Sig yet as I requested.

You do not have good enough cooling to overclock very much at all.

Can you propose some good cooling alternative ?

It does sound like you have your memory problem ironed out now but you must do this longer Prime95 blend test to make sure it is stable. If it is not, you will need to adjust the CPU multiplier down some more. One thing that usually helps is to increase the CPUNB voltage to about 1.25.

What country are you in? Is it hot there?

You have not created your Sig yet as I requested.

Europe - Medium temperatures - max 40*C - semi-moist air
PC stay in the air-conditioned room

Before I can recommend a cooler I need to know about your case. The best coolers are tall and won't fit in all cases. What is the make and model of your case?

Please create a Sig so that your system info travels with every post you make. I have requested this twice and even gave you instructions on how to do it. This is a common courtesy on this forum. As the thread gets longer it is inconvenient for people trying to help you to have to go back and find the info they need about your hardware and your system.

I will give instructions again. Please go to Quick Links at the top of the page. Click on that and then on Edit Signature. Then enter the info. You can refer to mine if you want a pattern of what kind of information we are looking for.

Attachments

• Sig.JPG
    Sig.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
stabilo, it seems you're missing a key part of trents' posts. CREATE A SIGNATURE WITH YOUR COMPLETE SPECS so people can better help you. Click here, make a signature and click "Save Signature"...done. It'll take a minute, maybe two.

Here you go.

Before I can recommend a cooler I need to know about your case.

ModeCom SWING BK-SIL (8300)
My PC are open 24/7 - I noticed that the closed casing causes increasing temperature.
I assume that there is just too tight and everything is cooking.
When the doors open - the temperature returns to normal.

Last edited:
Thanks, please include information about your case in the Sig: make, model?.

And who is the manufacturer of your PSU?

Found this: http://translate.google.com/transla...a=X&ei=ynDrT7jfIciirAHXpNzwBQ&ved=0CGUQ7gEwAg

It's only 180mm wide so it does not have enough clearance to accommodate the best air coolers because they are too tall for it. You would need to confine yourself to coolers with a 92mm fan instead of 120mm fan if you go with a tower-style cooler.

I'm not sure what coolers are available to you where you live and I'm not sure how much you would be willing to spend on one. Can you give me a price range? Do you buy computer parts online or do you buy them from a store. Can you give me a web link to the online stores available to you so I can see what your choices of coolers are?

Trents lets say max 60euro
120mm will be ok, my case are open 24/7

You can type model, and i find it..

Well then, if your case is open I would suggest the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Evo. About $35 US. Good cooler at a reasonable price, at least in the US.

Back