• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better Read! DO NOT POST ANY FREE IPOD OR PYRAMID SCAMS Or You Will Regret It

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ah, sorry I wasn't aware that this was not allowed. The only reason I posted a link is because of several friends who have done the same. Once again my apologies.

Well after seeing another free ipod thread get started here, why don't we invoke something like what people have to do to get into the classifieds section? Make users have so many post before they can access this forum and spam.

They've been popping up elsewhere, too. -_-

IMOG said:
Yes, banned members still show up in the memberlist. Not sure what happens when someone gets deleted... :D
Actually, banned members do NOT show up in the member list.

I agree. Can't we make it to where people have to have so many posts to enter cyber deals? This is rediculous. That guy had pure audacity to post that today. He signed up for ocforums to make that single post. Garbage.

-Myhre

Ok for an example i will use a "$30" matrix list in replace of the "ipod" one used here.
They advertise like this "you send $10 and after 5 people sign up you get $30". Sounds good enough, so people start sending $10 in and after a day or so over 5 total have signed up and the site sends that lucky #1 person on the list his $30 and the site pockets the other $20. Now its lucky #2s turn to wait for 5 more people, or a total of 10 people on the list until he gets his $30. This sometimes works and the first few people will get there $30 but if the #2 person gets her money that would mean that there is a total of 1 people on the list and in order for that 10th person to get his $30 a total of 50 people would need to sign up and pay $10. That persons odds arnt verylucky and if that #10 person does get lucky then the #50 person would have to wait for 250 people to sign up. People arnt gonna get so lucky to see that many people dish out $10. The list would mathmaticly grown exponentialy large and is doomed for faliure. This type of sceme has been deemed illegal and te site www.matrixwatch.org has sued the companys that the sites go threw and won. Go there if you need more info or pm me if you would like more info about this type of sceme.

Do you people even read the details of the ipod thing? You sign up for a trial offer, paying NOTHING. You get credit instantly, so you cancel before the trial offer is up. Simple. That's why it's not illegal, you're not paying anything. Your profit is also not based on the number of people you get to join. You get 5, that's it. Sure, tons of people will get 2-3 and stop, their loss.

picture of the invoice with your free pod
http://www.afextz.com/bossage/ipod/invoice.jpg

I think people are too quick to label it a pyramid scheme. yes, it's a pryamid deal, but if it were illegal it woul've been shut down by now.

MuEagle05 said:
Do you people even read the details of the ipod thing? You sign up for a trial offer, paying NOTHING. You get credit instantly, so you cancel before the trial offer is up. Simple. That's why it's not illegal, you're not paying anything. Your profit is also not based on the number of people you get to join. You get 5, that's it. Sure, tons of people will get 2-3 and stop, their loss.

picture of the invoice with your free pod
http.jpg

I think people are too quick to label it a pyramid scheme. yes, it's a pryamid deal, but if it were illegal it woul've been shut down by now.

Uh, Eagle;

Silversink Sam said it, and he has the power to back it up.

That, if no other reason, is good enough to me.

On a related subject, can we post anything about the US Social Security Administration? If that isn't a pyramid scheme, I don't know what a pyramid scheme is!! :D:D

steve

MuEagle05 said:
Well i've already started, and i'm going to finish and got my 'pod.

No one is trying to argue the ethics of it with you. Just as long as you don't start it here is all anyone is trying to say.

-Myhre

I have given this a shot. I made sure whoever did this for me canceled whatever they signed up for right away.

I didnt spend any money, so I dont care if I dont get anything.

HOWEVER, I dont think posting those links here is good at all because its spam.

not to flame,this realy does work,u subscribe than cancel,my friend got the ipod i saw it and watched him do it.....not to cause any flame or anything,i think its gay cuz u give ur life to aol blockbuster pop ups...

capmuffin, the issue wasn't that it cannot work... The issue is that for every one person it works for, there are exponentially many more that get nothing, despite the effort and agreements they enter into. This is a mathematical certainty.

Also, there have been court cases, which may still be pending, against those offering these deals who have not held up their side of the bargain for many, many people.

Yes, it was, it has been posted about by others also... We have no control of the ads brought in through Adjuggler unfortunately.

I found it ironic when I first saw it, knowing about this thread also. :-/

Deluge of spam.... mmmmmm spam....:drool: Spam is only ever good fried and on toast with cheese.......... lots of cheese.........and ketchup........... oh yeah and to make a good sandwhich you need to scramble an egg and cook it omlet style then fold it over........ oh oh... and a peice of ham.............. Definitly need the ham......... then take out the spam and feed it to the dog and you will have a really great breakfast sandwhich. mmmmmmmmmmmm

I agree there should be a minimum of 25 or 50 posts to get into the cyber deals forum. That would keep out the passing by trolls and still be small enough for the casual poster

Love the pwned troll gif. That is classic. :D

Ive seen the "Free" offers all over the place but every time I do I hear in my head my parents say 2 things. "Nothing in life is free, someone always pays" and "If its too good to be true it probably is" so I never bother with them.

JT

Jtanczos said:
I agree there should be a minimum of 25 or 50 posts to get into the cyber deals forum. That would keep out the passing by trolls and still be small enough for the casual poster

JT

Agreed as well. I used to disagree with the idea of a minimum post count to get into the Cyber Deals Forum, but lately the deluge of trolls has got me thinking otherwise.

Isn't it ironic that there is an advertisement for free ipods now on top of the forums.... I never believe in the free internet schemes even if it works for some. Nothing is free, there is always a cost somewhere along the way.

Last edited:
David said:
I hate to look like I'm kissing moderator *** here but if Sam says no links to pyramid schemes and free ipods/flat screens etc then just dont do it.

Even if the ipod schemes are not illegal it would still go against the no advertising rule because by spreading these schemes you are using OCForums bandwidth and webspace to promote a site and its advertising.

Dont do it. Bottom line. I dont see why people feel the need to argue.

umm.. by this thinking isnt linking to a great price on a heatsink or cpu or something advertising for that site? its pointing in a direction where a company will make money.

and the ipod things.. if the people follow through with their trial, and get the required number of refferals who also go though with a trial, they get their "prize". most people fail to realise that even tho they got 5 people to sign up and get spammed, those 5 people havnt gone through with a trial. and sites such that talk about how so many people click the link and follow through with a trial and dont get their item blah blah.. they dont mention that the people didnt complete all of the requirements.

these things work by the companies who you sign up for a trial for pay the freeitem site for reffering you to them. they then hope you like their ervice and continue to use them, outweighing the money they apent to get you in the first place from their profits with you. and with all of the people thet ont complete but do get a triel comleted, gratis makes plenty of money where shipping out some ipods isnt much of a loss to them.

four4875 said:
umm.. by this thinking isnt linking to a great price on a heatsink or cpu or something advertising for that site? its pointing in a direction where a company will make money.

and the ipod things.. if the people follow through with their trial, and get the required number of refferals who also go though with a trial, they get their "prize". most people fail to realise that even tho they got 5 people to sign up and get spammed, those 5 people havnt gone through with a trial. and sites such that talk about how so many people click the link and follow through with a trial and dont get their item blah blah.. they dont mention that the people didnt complete all of the requirements.

these things work by the companies who you sign up for a trial for pay the freeitem site for reffering you to them. they then hope you like their ervice and continue to use them, outweighing the money they apent to get you in the first place from their profits with you. and with all of the people thet ont complete but do get a triel comleted, gratis makes plenty of money where shipping out some ipods isnt much of a loss to them.
A few rotten apples can spoil the bunch.

People are welcome to try the ipod schemes without recruiting others. It's just a legal stance that the mods want to keep inorder to prevent a lawsuit from someone who could potentially get ripped off by a deal gone sour.

When inet bought ocforums they wanted to get rid of the classifieds but skip and others fought to keep them because of the great crowd of people here.

Please keep the forums clean from anything potentially hazardous keepin in mind that a few rotten deals can result in the forums not existing in the future!

Back