• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin exchange rate discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Honestly, unless you get free electricity mining is not all that profitable still.

Haven't worked out running costs, I'm currently mining ether on 1060 3GB, 1070, 1080 Ti (part time), Vega 56, R9 280X (temporarily), and I'm estimating $300/month at current rates, which are much higher than they have been even a few days ago. I need the heating for the house anyway :)

Haven't worked out running costs, I'm currently mining ether on 1060 3GB, 1070, 1080 Ti (part time), Vega 56, R9 280X (temporarily), and I'm estimating $300/month at current rates, which are much higher than they have been even a few days ago. I need the heating for the house anyway :)

Curious how the Vega 56 does for mining?
Power wise I'd be just guessing... 1.1KW i'd guess just taking a stab at it just with the 3 rigs if the CPU is idle. Though everything probably but maybe the 280X would be perfectly good miners and cover their costs in power.

Curious how the Vega 56 does for mining?
The Vega 56 with Adrenalin drivers, undervolted a bit on core, ram to 900 MHz, currently reporting 33.5MH/s. That's slightly higher than out-of-box Asus Strix 1080 Ti which comes out around 32. I haven't done much optimisation on any of these yet. I've seen much higher claims on the Vega rate, but I need to keep working on the ram speed to potentially reach that. Not had time to run stability testing so not done it yet.

I have no intention of running the 280X long term, but it was thrown on for a little extra heat in the recent snowfall. It is un-overclocked by bios mod previously as it was always on the thermal limit since the day I got it. Factory OC was a bit much.

For unknown reasons, I've not managed to get it running well if at all on Maxwell era nvidia GPUs so not running it at all on those.

The Vega 56 with Adrenalin drivers, undervolted a bit on core, ram to 900 MHz, currently reporting 33.5MH/s. That's slightly higher than out-of-box Asus Strix 1080 Ti which comes out around 32. I haven't done much optimisation on any of these yet. I've seen much higher claims on the Vega rate, but I need to keep working on the ram speed to potentially reach that. Not had time to run stability testing so not done it yet.

Interesting on the 1080Ti running so slow, but you then mentioned out of the box which yup I can see that. I know I got mine quiet high almost near 40MH/s but was too iffy jumping between 2D and 3D it would crash the computer constantly so chose the former and accepted the slightly slower rate for stability when going between gaming and mining. The Vega I guess I've seen up in the low 40's for some with the Vega initially was guessing it would of potentially been improved upon but guess not to much.

Also... mine Zec for the nVidia cards at least... much more efficient, and better $$$ returns :)

The 1080 Ti is my main gaming card so I don't really want to risk the stability of that even if it costs me hashrate. I need to look at other coins, perhaps this weekend. I only settled for ethereum as probably the 2nd biggest after bitcoin (haven't checked recently). Once I worked it out I could copy and paste it across the rest of my systems. Well, apart from the Maxwell problems mentioned before. Even if other coins are as easy, I still need to look it up and configure it.

with alt coins seeing a big boost in the market recently i can see mining them being more profitable now, minus the ones that are un mineable.

I dunno if it was a one off or normal, but getting btc out of coinbase took many hours when I did it a week or so ago.

I dunno if it was a one off or normal, but getting btc out of coinbase took many hours when I did it a week or so ago.
They are getting hit the hardest right now, but are generally considered one of the safest exchanges. Moving btc anywhere is going to take awhile unless you pay high fees to get your transaction in the next block

I've contiplated to dropping everything to USD and buying when it gets a bit lower but... the network is so bogged up it would take forever for the transaction to happen because everyone is in a huge panic and selling selling selling.
So... I ride it out and we'll see how it happens, maybe get a few more stuff for considerably cheaper in the end run :)

alt coins is where its at, i bought in like 7 months ago and just been sitting on it... at 41x investment so far :) too bad it wasnt that much that i put in but better than nothing.

Just a word of advice for people trading anything, stock, bonds currency etc....The first broker I worked for back in the early 90's once told me something that has stuck with me over the years. The market is the only place where, when things go on sale ie. prices drop, no one wants them. When people are in panic it is usually a good time to buy. You may not get the absolute bottom, but if you're willing to ride it out you'll usually be in good shape in the long run.

Just a word of advice for people trading anything, stock, bonds currency etc....The first broker I worked for back in the early 90's once told me something that has stuck with me over the years. The market is the only place where, when things go on sale ie. prices drop, no one wants them. When people are in panic it is usually a good time to buy. You may not get the absolute bottom, but if you're willing to ride it out you'll usually be in good shape in the long run.

most of mine i bought before they were a twinkle in anyones eye, the one i bought 9000 coins for $5 ish worth of btc and they recently hit $0.25 each i sold a few and bought a new gun lol still holding what's left figured cashing out 100x my investment into it and let the rest ride.

Of course, you all know that main use for crypto currencis are arm, drug and human trafficking.

I quit years ago because I did not want to be part of this.

Up to you to make your little revenue out of it, but keep in mind that you contribute to human suffering...

Back