• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin exchange rate discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm mining for couple of days ( about 2 weeks ) and I stuck at the same value for nearly a week while I'm still mining ... today is even below that because of btc drop in last 24h. I just count it will go back to 10k+ but I already saw 8.4k today and it looks not so good. Now nicehash is showing 8.5k :cry:

The run-up over the last 6 months was so big that it's tough to figure this out. Are we still "correcting"? It seems to bounce around a set point for a few days then drop to a new set point. Market still looks overall very bearish, but there might be buying opportunity here. It's tough to call.

well I still think its whales making money on the backs of ppl with more to loose, they are using some of the news on govt interest in regulation, promoting ban fuds and so forth .. but its just a theory
I for one am not investing, just too much risk, but Im mining along without even considering stopping .. ive lost sooo much because I stopped twice before (2013 and 2015 :cry: )

well I still think its whales making money on the backs of ppl with more to loose, they are using some of the news on govt interest in regulation, promoting ban fuds and so forth .. but its just a theory
I for one am not investing, just too much risk, but Im mining along without even considering stopping .. ive lost sooo much because I stopped twice before (2013 and 2015 :cry: )

I think the big news today was on India trying to ban it, because they want in on it type deal. People scare easy as well.

Either way its just a mine and hold for me right now at this time. Re-evaluate each month and see how things swing.

I may have said this before and sorry if this is repetitive but I just want to put my .02 in, maybe it will help someone. I'll start by saying I do not own or mine any cryptocurrency. I did work on Wall Street for 20 + years and from 95 until 2013 traded equities for a living. Way back my first boss said something to me that was pretty simple but a lot of people do not do it when investing/trading. He said "the market is the only place in the world where, when things are on sale, no one wants them." Again, I do not invest or trade any crypto more due to the lack of time with my new business but evaluate the situation. Learn about reading charts and understanding technical analysis if you're going to do this seriously. Then apply it to the situation.

Furthermore, I did do a quick look at the candle charts on BTC. Taking into account it's meteoric rise in 2017 it is likely it will be pretty volatile for a while. Looking at the chart quickly BTC specifically looks like it may have some support around the 7500-7800 level. This does not mean it will definitely pull back to there, it may just hang around the 10k level because it's like a magic number in traders eyes. I also did not do any real technical analysis so take that with a grain of salt.

I will also say a good friend of mine who made a lot of money trading and is currently retired, has been watching a few of the coins. I spoke to him last week and he said the stars were starting to align. Meaning he was starting to see buying signs with his analysis and he was starting to buy a few of them. I've traded with this guy before and if he's doing like he did in the past, he'll be buying big. This does not mean he will be 100% correct but I've seen this guy make some pretty bold moves in the past and he usually makes out well.

Just thought I'd put that out there, again, maybe it will help someone.

I may have said this before and sorry if this is repetitive but I just want to put my .02 in, maybe it will help someone. I'll start by saying I do not own or mine any cryptocurrency. I did work on Wall Street for 20 + years and from 95 until 2013 traded equities for a living. Way back my first boss said something to me that was pretty simple but a lot of people do not do it when investing/trading. He said "the market is the only place in the world where, when things are on sale, no one wants them." Again, I do not invest or trade any crypto more due to the lack of time with my new business but evaluate the situation. Learn about reading charts and understanding technical analysis if you're going to do this seriously. Then apply it to the situation.

Furthermore, I did do a quick look at the candle charts on BTC. Taking into account it's meteoric rise in 2017 it is likely it will be pretty volatile for a while. Looking at the chart quickly BTC specifically looks like it may have some support around the 7500-7800 level. This does not mean it will definitely pull back to there, it may just hang around the 10k level because it's like a magic number in traders eyes. I also did not do any real technical analysis so take that with a grain of salt.

I will also say a good friend of mine who made a lot of money trading and is currently retired, has been watching a few of the coins. I spoke to him last week and he said the stars were starting to align. Meaning he was starting to see buying signs with his analysis and he was starting to buy a few of them. I've traded with this guy before and if he's doing like he did in the past, he'll be buying big. This does not mean he will be 100% correct but I've seen this guy make some pretty bold moves in the past and he usually makes out well.

Just thought I'd put that out there, again, maybe it will help someone.

Thanks Mandrake, appreciate the input

I for one will take with salt as recommended, I will do the mine and hold as I was saying, definitely not cashing out, but weary of investing as well; keep calm & mine, the safe route :sn:

Yea, I played the volatility for a little bit with my mined coin. I did grow my BTC holdings but didn't turn to cash when it was smart (well, I did, but then I bought back in and regretted it). I'm currently cashed out on that front and am done trading for a while until I see some stronger signs of growth. That's about half my coin holdings, the rest is still in place. I don't know how to read the analyses personally, so that concerns me. Thankfully I'm playing with what is pretty much house money, not as a serious investment. I'll continue to mine though.

Thanks for that insight Mandrake.
I only trade coins I own and don't put actual money into it but still diligently mining at this point so nothing changing on this end.

though the price right now makes me sad and less optimistic, I really dreaded this under 10k situation, there is one good thing in it too .. the mining craze should subside some and prices on hardware should start coming back to normal, esp if some miners give up and flood the 2nd hand market, then the manufacturers will get worried and start dumping their reserves as well (which im positive they have and just held back to keep prices crazy)

While I have a vague understanding of longer term aspects, day trading stuff doesn't make any sense to me. If there is any fear of manipulation, the long game I would hope is relatively unaffected by that.

Ouch Zec just crapped out this morning with a 25% drop then in an hour everything is up almost 12% from the bottom. Think it's going to be a volitale few days.

near vertical .. yet it keeps going .. wth :(

If I'm reading that chart right, it looks like when it does finally start going up, it might make a fairly large and or steady climb back up.

If I'm reading that chart right, it looks like when it does finally start going up, it might make a fairly large and or steady climb back up.

as it is doing as we speak :))

Almost back to 9k...

was past it when I wrote earlier, tbh if it goes over 10k today I still call it whales bs messing with ppl .. and if its that, then expect crazy prices this year
thing is, fundamentally nothing bad really happened and its not in works, a correction was expected, attention from govts and regulation is expected and normal and even welcomed, so in truth there should be green grass ahead

just keep calm &mine ;)

Almost back to 9k...

And slipped under.
Zec is almost up to $380 again... was $275 i saw this morning... ouch.
Eth is back over $925 again... was low $800 this morning as well.

But I saw BTC over 9200, now its 8860 and im sure it bob around alot.

It's over 9000.... wait under 9000.... wait under 8000... wait over 9000!

It's over 9000.... wait under 9000.... wait under 8000... wait over 9000!

yep, wont you call that a game ?
seriously lets see how it goes .. if it goes sideways from here, then its natural correction from too big a spike, if it goes over 10k .. its playing and I dislike that .. I went through that with ripple when it wasnt this big, there was a guy with a couple mil .. well he swing the entire market up and down for a week, made a hella lot of someone else's money

Yeah, that is the one thing that scares me about these markets is how easily manipulated they are via arbitrage or simply just having enough funds to control the up and down swings by hundreds/thousands of dollars and pocketing the difference.

Back