• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin exchange rate discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, that is the one thing that scares me about these markets is how easily manipulated they are via arbitrage or simply just having enough funds to control the up and down swings by hundreds/thousands of dollars and pocketing the difference.

lack of liquidity
lack of regulation
and of course its still small compared to traditionals .. but there is a hope on all of these points

Yeah, that is the one thing that scares me about these markets is how easily manipulated they are via arbitrage or simply just having enough funds to control the up and down swings by hundreds/thousands of dollars and pocketing the difference.

Very true

This, is just part of the game. When there is money to be made there is going to be manipulation. I'd be shocked if the big financial institutions don't already have computers with highly complex algorithms trading these currencies. If any of you believe in these currencies then just stick it out through the volatility, you could even try not to watch it. Set yourself an out, figure out a spot that if it closes through that point you are no longer willing to hold and stick to it!!!! I cannot emphasize that point enough. I've seen more people hold falling stocks for no other good reason then they didn't want to take the loss, do not do that.

I'll also make the point, if you're really going to spend the time to watch it day in and day out. Really watch it, look at the volume, that is really important to what is going on. Again, if you really want to get a better feel for why the currencies are doing what they are doing. Learn some technical analysis, it will give you a much better understanding of why.

This, is just part of the game. When there is money to be made there is going to be manipulation. I'd be shocked if the big financial institutions don't already have computers with highly complex algorithms trading these currencies. If any of you believe in these currencies then just stick it out through the volatility, you could even try not to watch it. Set yourself an out, figure out a spot that if it closes through that point you are no longer willing to hold and stick to it!!!! I cannot emphasize that point enough. I've seen more people hold falling stocks for no other good reason then they didn't want to take the loss, do not do that.

I'll also make the point, if you're really going to spend the time to watch it day in and day out. Really watch it, look at the volume, that is really important to what is going on. Again, if you really want to get a better feel for why the currencies are doing what they are doing. Learn some technical analysis, it will give you a much better understanding of why.
Thanks Mandrake, do you have any advice for places to learn/read TA?

I have a few books at home I read, let me have a looksy through my book case and see which ones I still have that I really liked. Send me a reminder tomorrow if you don't hear back from me tonight. I'm out of the shop today at 4pm so I'll look then.

To reply to what Janus asked. I have two books I really liked which helped me. Introduction to Technical Analysis and Schwager on Futures: Technical Analysis

Looks like I made the wrong decision to not cash out this month's bitcoin payout at $9K. Still holding on, because I do think it will go back up.

Looks like I made the wrong decision to not cash out this month's bitcoin payout at $9K. Still holding on, because I do think it will go back up.

same .. guess history will judge us now :D

If you think it's going to keep going down, get out. Get back in when it's actually going up again.

If you think it's going to keep going down, get out. Get back in when it's actually going up again.

We're only talking about 1/2 of a month's mining production. I'm a miner, not an investor. I've got the other half of this month's production stuck waiting for Bittrex to unlock their FLDC wallet. I'm going to keep mining because it is actually folding and I don't have to do anything I wasn't already doing to get the coins. If they drop a lot, I'm going to just hold on until the price goes back up, because it is essentially found money for me.

Just hold buddy just hold. At this point why not could be $50k next year for all we know. Doubtful but who would of guess it to top $20k last/early this year.
I know I'm holding my coins til it heads upward, but might cut my production back a little as well. Week by week case for me right now so we'll see.

Slowly moving up today after dipping below 6.

actually pretty fast IMO, 2k in a day is a lot, this may prompt others not willing to miss the 2nd coming to buy in and spark an even bigger rise if this just keeps going for a couple days more :)

Oh boy... contiplating on swapping a little over to other currencies to get in on more of the boost since what I'm holding just jumped back to where it was sitting last week.

up and down .. down and up .. such a relaxing vacation lol

but tbh at least I see that the GPU market is starting to recover, hopefully the gold rush madness will be on hold long enough, really want GPUs back to normal

up and down .. down and up .. such a relaxing vacation lol

but tbh at least I see that the GPU market is starting to recover, hopefully the gold rush madness will be on hold long enough, really want GPUs back to normal

Wouldn't say the madness is dying. Prices are still up there. While I could of gotten a RX 580 this morning I stayed away due to a lot of people getting DOAs which means RAM because there is a no return policy in place right now.

We seem to be somewhat stable at just above $9K for the moment.

I think the news of LitePay coming at the end of the month increasing LTC's value bumped BTC at the same time?

I think the news of LitePay coming at the end of the month increasing LTC's value bumped BTC at the same time?

As well all the deals with banks / credit card companies also happening with various coins is happening too. There has been a lot of good news lately about it all. Very little about X country blocking Y coin.

We seem to be somewhat stable at just above $9K for the moment.

And we're above the "magic" $10K mark. And still easing up some.

(Magic in quotes because of the effect on the human mind of round numbers, not any underlying facts related to BTC and that number.)

Back