• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brown or Blue switches on mechanical keyboards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cezar

Since there is not forum or thread where people discuss peripherals, I opened a topic on General Hardware forum.
I think this is a minor detail that deserves to be in a separate topic from my PC building thread.

For what kind of work are brown or blue switches are good?

Continued:

I am asking this question because I am thinking to order Tesoro keyboard. The one with blue switches costs $70, the one with brown switches is on the sale for $55. As I understood less people buy browns, that is why it is on the sale. And now I am trying to find out whether browns are that bad.

Last edited:
One is not "better" than the other. 2 different styles of mx, "clicky" and "linear". I personally use mx blacks because of my ham fisted nature. I prefer each key press to be "on purpose" and with blues/browns/reds I don't get that feeling.

Your best bet is to watch some YouTube videos, and test some out at best buy ( they usually at least have blues and reds).

Browns are a good general key. If you're doing a fair bit of typing, but are still a gamer, then go brown.
If you're solely typing, go blue.

If you have any access at all to test key types before buying, absolutely do so.

Browns are just fine. They are light actuation though, if you find yourself light and nimble on the keyboard they will work just fine. Plus 55 bucks for a keyboard with actual mx switches... that's pretty solid!

I have Browns and really like them, I've typed on Blues, Blacks and Browns. I do not like Blues only because of the clickity clakity sounds. The Blacks sound the same to me as the Browns just a little more pressure is needed. What I do like about the Mechanical as opposed to a membrane keyboard is how linear the keys are, the key strokes just feel more intent to me.

the blues are definitely the best for typing, they just feel wonderful to type on.

The browns I felt to have the best balance between a red and a blue, the browns are not as linear as the blacks and the reds as they have a 'bump' in the middle of the keypress to tell you that the key has been actuated, which doesn't exist on a red or black.

Ah, just saw that it is open box for $55.(

So what? Unless you're worried that 8 million of the 50 million key presses are gone or something... Open box for a keyboard is just fine, unless you REALLY gotta have that "Brand new car" smell...

It is just a fritening word "open box". Actually, I read that some stuff might be missing inside.

They do not write what comes with the keyboard in specifications on newegg. On youtube I found some reviews of this keyboard from other countries, so the packaging might be different. If you look up on newegg what "open box" means, you will find that newegg does not care if something you bought "open box" is missing an essential parts that are viable for the items functioning.

Edited.
I think I saw some reviews of keyboards with detachable cables.

Last edited:
Drivers = Google search.
Newegg probably wouldn't sell it if someone chopped off the USB cable.

Also, Browns are quiet while the Blue switches are figgin loud :thup:

Ok. I am kinda inclined to get that open box keyboard for $55. Though, what usually happens to openbox items? Why are they called open box? Were they used on the counter in the electronic shops like Bestbuy?

No, someone bought it and returned it within 30 days. To qualify for open box, it must be returned in like new condition. For a simple mechanical keyboard, from new egg, it would be a good buy.

Ok. I am kinda inclined to get that open box keyboard for $55. Though, what usually happens to openbox items? Why are they called open box? Were they used on the counter in the electronic shops like Bestbuy?

You buy a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, open it up only to find it's the wrong colour.
You return it to the store for the correct colour.

Since you ripped open the packaging inside the box the store now labels it as "open box"

That's it really, someone opened the box, and returned it.

No, someone bought it and returned it within 30 days. To qualify for open box, it must be returned in like new condition. For a simple mechanical keyboard, from new egg, it would be a good buy.

Ok, but what is the difference between refurbished and open box then?

Back