• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a LGA1151 System TODAY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mogar

Registered
If you were building a i7-8700K based system today, for gaming and streaming, with the intent of pushing a 4000mhz overclock on samsung b-die ram, and a potential 4.8ghz oc on cpu, what motherboard would you choose?
Would either of these two suffice?
1. https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...e=lga_1151_motherboard-_-13-132-855-_-Product

2. https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...e=lga_1151_motherboard-_-13-157-789-_-Product

Thanks in advance for all replies. You fellas are gems to share your knowledge.

What are you doing that needs that RAM speed? Also what RAM kit are you planning to run?

I have a kit of g skill trident 3200 cl14 in my current rig. What reasoning does one need for ocing other than being an enthusiast? I am a pro PUBG player, high speed ram seems to help with fps especially in custom games. Unfortunately my ryzen rig doesnt run above 2660 frequency on the ram without crashing.

First on the Ryzen have you updated the BIOS they've come a long way in the ram department. If you can't get 3200 with samsung then something is off.
For the 1151 board more likely to the ram speed you want from the Asrock then ASUS. I have a Strix and it has a hard time over 3800 and I doubt the Hero is much different

Unfortunately the only asrock board I've ever owned has been a let down. The asrock x370 killer km3 I'm currently running on was abandoned early on in terms of updates and where I'm at now seems to be the limitations of my current build, and left me hanging with very sub-par performance in the ram frequency department. So I'm hesitant to try asrock again, but it is reassuring for you to be vouching for them Johan. Thank you for the replies.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a kit of g skill trident 3200 cl14 in my current rig. What reasoning does one need for ocing other than being an enthusiast? I am a pro PUBG player, high speed ram seems to help with fps especially in custom games. Unfortunately my ryzen rig doesnt run above 2660 frequency on the ram without crashing.

I might be wrong on the 3200, I'm pretty sure they're 3400.

Please do not take me wrong I am all for pushing things. I just see a lot of people paying a premium for boards and RAM to chase speeds and timings well beyond what they have a need for. I just try to make sure people have proper expectations for what they plan to spend.

3200 is in my head because that was the speed I wanted to run them at in my current rig because at the time that was a good set standard to shoot for.

- - - Updated - - -

Please do not take me wrong I am all for pushing things. I just see a lot of people paying a premium for boards and RAM to chase speeds and timings well beyond what they have a need for. I just try to make sure people have proper expectations for what they plan to spend.

I appreciate that, but these boards I'm looking at are at a very reasonable price compared to what they used to be and I wouldn't mind spending $50 extra on a board because of the recent price drop in the cpu and motherboards; as I'm not getting a gpu any time soon.

The Hero won't get you there. It's a horrible memory board. You'll have a hard time over 3600.

I would get the highest end Asrock that you could afford.

EDIT- Better yet, I'll sell you my Hero and I'LL get the Asrock. :)

I would go for the ASRock Z370 Extreme4 seems like a lot of folks in different forums prefer ASRock over ASUS for the Z370.

I'm leaning towards the asrock z370 I linked earlier, but now I'm looking at this one and wondering if either is better for ocing
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6

I'm leaning towards the asrock z370 I linked earlier, but now I'm looking at this one and wondering if either is better for ocing
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6

From what I have seen they all overclock the same according to what the maximum memory overclocking specified for the specific motherboard. It seems anything over 3600 memory speed is gravy. As far as processor overclocking on i7 8700k turbo boost 4.7GHz, then going to 5.3 is only 600MHz overclock so most all Z370s can do that with ease with processor luck.

Isn't Turbo two cores at 1000MHz over the base clock on the 8700k? Are all the z370 chipset boards good for 1600 MHz x six cores over the base clock? If so, that's pretty sweet, and a lot of headroom. Nice! Of course, it is the high end chipset for that socket.

Most boards are built with multi core enhancement capability, that locks the i7 8700k at 4.7GHz so only 600Mhz above that is 5.3GHz.

Last edited:
As far as processor overclocking on i7 8700k turbo boost 4.7GHz, then going to 5.3 is only 600MHz overclock so most all Z370s can do that with ease with processor luck.

Are there any usable results at 5.3 without extreme cooling? By usable, I mean, don't go to hwbot clock records as that only has to be barely stable enough to send a submission. Even 5.0 is not guaranteed at a moderate voltage. MCE is overclocking, and not a good way unless you're clueless about doing it yourself. You can't say 5.3 would only be a 600 MHz overclock, as it is an overclock on an overclock.

As for the original question of ram OC, I got my B-die to 3866 ok on the cheapest Asrock at the time (Z370 Pro4), bought purely as it was the cheapest non-MSI board. I haven't had great experiences with MSI mobo overclocking.

Are there any usable results at 5.3 without extreme cooling? By usable, I mean, don't go to hwbot clock records as that only has to be barely stable enough to send a submission. Even 5.0 is not guaranteed at a moderate voltage. MCE is overclocking, and not a good way unless you're clueless about doing it yourself. You can't say 5.3 would only be a 600 MHz overclock, as it is an overclock on an overclock.

As for the original question of ram OC, I got my B-die to 3866 ok on the cheapest Asrock at the time (Z370 Pro4), bought purely as it was the cheapest non-MSI board. I haven't had great experiences with MSI mobo overclocking.

Intel binned the i7 8700k at at 4.7GHz and most of the motherboard manufactures have MCE that locks the i7 8700k at 4.7GHz, ASUS uses MCE by default. Silicon Lottery has sold some i7 8700k 5.3GHz that passed all stress tests, As of 12/01/17, the top 16% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.2GHz or greater..

My point is the Intel VRM on most of the z370s will support 5.3GHz 1.435v.

I use the 4.8GHz preset on my $99.00 GA Z170 HD3 for ease of changing BIOS settings and it works great, took me a seconds to setup in BIOS, the preset goes up to 5.0GHz, it just to much heat for my processor.:D

Last edited:
Back