• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a LGA1151 System TODAY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Silicon Lottery has sold some i7 8700k 5.3GHz that passed all stress tests, As of 12/01/17, the top 16% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.2GHz or greater..
I guess my point was to set expectations that 5.3 shouldn't be expected to be attainable at sane voltages. Even 5.0 isn't 100% attainable at a 24/7 voltage. So 16% can do 5.2+, but what's the % for 5.3? It's going to be tiny. Also I'm not sure I'd take their stability criteria either.

I guess my point was to set expectations that 5.3 shouldn't be expected to be attainable at sane voltages. Even 5.0 isn't 100% attainable at a 24/7 voltage. So 16% can do 5.2+, but what's the % for 5.3? It's going to be tiny. Also I'm not sure I'd take their stability criteria either.

I agree about expectations for 5.3GHz is not good. Silicon Lottery has changed there testing recently because of selling unstable overclocked processors.
Silicon-Lottery
Take into account our previous statistics were just an hour of Realbench, now we're doing much more rigorous testing aiming for complete stability.
An average 7700K would not be able to pass our 5GHz testing at 1.35V. A mix of everything (non-avx prime, linpack) along with some custom software. Exact details are a bit of a trade secret.

4.7ghz is single core turbo by default. Some boards, not all, have MCE enabled by default which can put all cores at 4.7ghz. Some do not. It depends on the board.

Most boards wont have an issue at 5.3 ghz...but cooling will be an issue and finding one which will do it. Needs a delid and a solid aio or custom loop. ;)

This actually doesn't look bad https://siliconlottery.com/collections/kabylake/products/7700k51g A delidded 5.1GHz 7700k for $360. Not a huge fan of the voltage, but with EIST, C states and all enabled it looks to be a nice deal for a daily driver/occasional bench rat. Intel has certainly helped SL's business by producing hot rod chips. :thup:
Silicon-Lottery does not tweak voltage for there bins, they test at a set voltage for each binned level. So you could tweak voltage yourself and see if it is stable for your needs. Alaric are you going to upgrade the processor with Silicon-Lottery?

At that price I would consider it, but that would leave me having to use Windows 10 and that's a non starter for me. I do have a dual boot setup w/W10, though. I wonder if I can install the little beastie and boot in to W10 to make nice with M$ and "accidentally" continue using W7 for my daily driver...... Maybe put W7 in a VM inside 10 and just devote all physical resources to the VM? Hmmm.....

edit: Sorry for the hijack, but it does allow the opportunity to explore other options for the OP. :D

Probably all Z370 motherboards will handle 5.2-5.4GHz as long as CPU will be good. With memory OC is a bit different. If you want stable 4000+ then get high ASRock, MSI or ASUS motherboard. Not Hero or Strix or anything like that as these boards are for gamers. If ASUS then APEX or Extreme or something like that with tested 4266+ memory. Even if you want it to run at 4000 stable then don't buy motherboard which is guaranteed to run at 4000 as it clearly isn't, or is guaranteed using single memory module or something like that.
I recommend higher ASRock motherboards as they're always good. Also new higher MSI are good. Look for mobos with tested 4 memory modules at 4133+ or 4266+ ... or with 2 memory slots and tested 4400+ in dual channel.

Probably all Z370 motherboards will handle 5.2-5.4GHz as long as CPU will be good. With memory OC is a bit different. If you want stable 4000+ then get high ASRock, MSI or ASUS motherboard. Not Hero or Strix or anything like that as these boards are for gamers. If ASUS then APEX or Extreme or something like that with tested 4266+ memory. Even if you want it to run at 4000 stable then don't buy motherboard which is guaranteed to run at 4000 as it clearly isn't, or is guaranteed using single memory module or something like that.
I recommend higher ASRock motherboards as they're always good. Also new higher MSI are good. Look for mobos with tested 4 memory modules at 4133+ or 4266+ ... or with 2 memory slots and tested 4400+ in dual channel.

For running 4000+ memory do you prefer ASrock over ASUS now for the Z370?

I prefer ASRock over anything else but ASUS APEX is simply great regardless of chipset. On the other hand I had no chance to test many Z370 motherboards so I won't tell you which one is the best.
Since Z370 was not giving me anything over Z270 ( at least when I had 7700K ) then I was testing more X299 and B350/X370 motherboards and there ASRock is simply the best. The same was with Z270 where ASUS was good in 2-3 top models and ASRock was good even in cheaper mobos. On the other hand if you are looking for well overclocking but cheaper motherboard then MSI is offering high memory frequency support even in cheaper motherboards. Pretty much everything with 'DDR4 Boost' sign can make 4000+.
So far my highest DDR4 clock results were on ASRock OCF, ASUS APEX and MSI ITX motherboards. All of them have 2 memory slots what usually is better because of shorter traces/less interference and these motherboards have thicker PCB... also are higher series so manufacturers care some more to improve BIOS. Even the best boards without good BIOS are useless.

This discussion makes me less likely to ever utilize siliconlottery.com. Sounds like they had been creating false impressions of their products and now after correcting their vetting process you are just about as likely to get a good clocker by just making a random purchase from a traditional vendor.

This discussion makes me less likely to ever utilize siliconlottery.com. Sounds like they had been creating false impressions of their products and now after correcting their vetting process you are just about as likely to get a good clocker by just making a random purchase from a traditional vendor.

Well, if you actually play the silicon lottery you may or may not get a decent clocker. If you buy from Silicon Lottery you will get a decent clocker, at least as decent as you select. Whether or not it's worth it is a personal choice. I still like a 5.1 GHz for $360, already delidded. Stock, the 7700k goes for $321 on Amazon and $340 on newegg. $40 for a delid and guaranteed 5.1 GHz (900 MHz over stock) isn't bad, IMO. I'm still not a fan of the 1.437v vcore, though. I prefer to hold under Intel's 1.42v max for extended use.

Intel's maximum is 1.52v at 100AMPs= 152 watts for quad core and 1.52v at 138 APMs for hex core.

Intel's maximum is 1.52v at 100AMPs= 152 watts for quad core and 1.52v at 138 APMs for hex core.

I thought it was 1.42v for sustained use?

Nope. From the data sheet, which begs the question-Where the heck did I get 1.42v???
Data Sheet.JPG

Although this is causing no small amount of panic...
vccsa and io.JPG

Last edited:
But that's exactly what I mean. Siliconlottery.com's high voltages would make a lot of CPUs run at 5.0+ ghz it seems to me. I'm not going to run a CPU at the voltages they use to make their speed claims just to say I got 5.0 or 5.1 ghz. But that's my personal opinion. What I'm saying is you aren't actually getting that much of a better CPU when you look at the voltages they have to use to achieve those speeds.

I can't get 4.8 GHz on my chip, regardless of voltage. I've been over 1.55v and it just ain't happening for this CPU. SL had 6700k chips that would hit 4.9 and 5.0 under the voltage ceiling. Not by much, but speed costs money, how fast do you want to go? Mine rarely hits 4.7 GHz now, but when needed it spools right up and nails it, with all four cores and HT on. I wouldn't mind having an extra 200-300 GHz handy just because. Otherwise I'd be hanging out at Out Of The Box And Boring.com. LOL :D

Actually Silicon Lottery
As of 12/01/17, the top 99% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 4.9GHz or greater at 1.387V Vcore
As of 12/01/17, the top 72% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.0GHz or greater at 1.4v Vcore
As of 12/01/17, the top 43% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.1GHz or greater at 1.412V Vcore
As of 12/01/17, the top 16% of tested 8700Ks were able to hit 5.2GHz or greater at 1.425V Vcore
and they Bin 1000 CPUs at a time.
https://siliconlottery.com/collections/coffeelake/products/8700k52g?variant=47048295116

1.52V is maximum voltage for short period of time. The same max is for couple of generations already. On the other hand I don't think that Intel actually tested that. In earlier generations they didn't test max safe voltages. All was just pure calculation. Still many motherboards had 1.52V as manual maximum and above that was offset.
~1.42V is maximum recommended by some brands like ASUS in some of their OC guides ... as long as you keep reasonable temps. I doubt you can keep low temps using standard air or AIO water cooling at 1.4V+. Many users see stability issues not because of too low voltage but too high temps... caused by too high voltage.

Back