• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a LGA1151 System TODAY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Gamers Nexus recently did a video looking at set, reported and measured voltages, and how they can differ. Sometimes quite significantly. Most of their testing was on Ryzen, but it could similarly apply to Intel. So for those with more extreme OC experience than me, how often do you dig out the volt meter rather than rely on what software reports?

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...-guidelines-how-to-kill-cpu-with-safe-voltage
once out of the gate so i know how far they are off.

Gamers Nexus recently did a video looking at set, reported and measured voltages, and how they can differ. Sometimes quite significantly. Most of their testing was on Ryzen, but it could similarly apply to Intel. So for those with more extreme OC experience than me, how often do you dig out the volt meter rather than rely on what software reports?

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...-guidelines-how-to-kill-cpu-with-safe-voltage

Their results on Gigabyte are pretty bad.

Personally I'm not checking voltages with multimeter when I use 24/7 setup. I use it while benching and not even always. I care more about balance between voltages and temps to keep stability for benchmarks but both readings are often wrong.
I had no issues with voltages on ASRock, new MSI and higher ASUS. On MSI Z170 I had other issue, motherboard was shutting down when any value was out of scale. Most new motherboards will protect your CPU/GPU/RAM.

I doubt you can keep low temps using standard air or AIO water cooling at 1.4V+. Many users see stability issues not because of too low voltage but too high temps... caused by too high voltage.
I manage with my voltage, but summer is coming and that will change.
how often do you dig out the volt meter rather than rely on what software reports?
Every time. Before I settle on an OC I put the meter probes on the mobo. It's one of the reasons I got this board, so why not take advantage of it?
once out of the gate so i know how far they are off.
My board isn't consistent enough between voltages. The higher the voltages, the closer to the BIOS settings it measures. All this being why I set my max voltage for a given component (RAM,CPU,SA) then measure it under load and clock up to voltage/temps. (Except SA. I just bumped that as far as needed to keep my RAM stable, same with VCCIO)

I tried that, but I couldn't get my memory OC stable without bumping up the voltage. Intel's XTU has an offset for it, but I prefer not using third party software for permanent settings and my mobo doesn't have that option.

I think my VCCIO was .960v and SA was 1.065v (memory dependent numbers) for my XMP. I screwed up my presets and lost my XMP settings in BIOS, so I would have to reflash to get it back. I haven't tried my back up BIOS yet. After everything I went through to get my numbers where they are I just don't have the motivation to start over yet. LOL

Back