• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buying new ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MichanOl

Registered
Hiya

I currently have PC3 6400 RAM in my pc and I would like to add some more due to the fact that it slows my pc down due to the fact most of the ram is used so I cannot really do more than one thing at once or it lags like crazy especially when gaming, its speed is 800mhz and i can only find this type for a high price compared to the PC3 10600 modules which are so much cheaper, I have a Dell inspiron 560 and well its not terrible but it isn't great either, it has a fairly high powered graphics card so I know that it is due to needed more RAM but my question is whether if i buy PC3 10600 etc. whether it will work in my pc

Here is my current RAM specs

Type DDR3
Size 2048 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 399.0 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 6 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 6 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 6 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 15 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T

Here are my motherboard specs:

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 018D1Y (CPU 1)
Version 00
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model P45/P43/G45/G43
Chipset Revision A3
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801JR (ICH10R)
Southbridge Revision 00

Hope someone has the answer to this because i may finally be able to get some new RAM, Thanks

I was also wondering if you knew whether the old RAM would work with my new faster RAM, thanks

Mixing ram isn't a good idea , if you need more buy a bigger kit.

Back