• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can Bend Pins on a Motherboard Socket damage my CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikecherves

Registered
When i did my test boot i realized my computer would just start up and turn of after a few seconds. I realized that some of the Pins were bent on the LGA 1155 socket. I called my friend who specializes with computers and he tried to unbend those pins. Doing so, he bend more pins and he broke one. He even dropped my CPU on the floor ( not from a high distance ) He said its ok to try to boot it up again so i did. I already ordered a new motherboard because i know the warranty doesn't cover bend pins. I was just wondering if test booting my motherboard with the bend pins damaged my CPU. I read somewhere that if those pins make contact with the wrong golden pads on the CPU it may damage it. Should i return the CPU and get a new one? Or do you guys think i'll be okay?

sashav.jpg

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77x-UD3H(bend pins) Upgrading to a Asus Z77 sabertooth
Hard Drive: 1 Tb Western Digital Mechanical Blue
SSD: 240gb Sandisk SSD
Graphics Card: Gigabyte Gtx 670 Windfore OC
Ram: 8gb Crosair Vengence DDR3
Optical Drive: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

Last edited:
If none of those pins are shorted to any other pins or short to other CPU pads, it won't hurt anything.
If pins are shorted or short to other pads, it could be bad.

I'd say your odds are better that the CPU survived than they are that you killed it - CPUs are tougher than you might think. It's anyone's guess really however, and the safest thing to do would be never to install a CPU in a socket with pins damaged that badly. Bobnova is right, there's just no easy way to know which pins are out of place, what they might connect to, and if power ends up going someplace it doesn't belong in the CPU.

But I've had bent pins before, however not that many, but 1 or 2 bent fairly badly. I've installed the CPU multiple times, going back to straighten pins a little each time, until it finally worked again... Both the board and CPU survived the experience.

I would try the CPU in your new board, and see if it works. If it didn't, then I'd return it.

In the future, you may also want to always try to keep a CPU in the socket, or if you are removing the CPU for a period of time, replace the socket cover that came with the motherboard to protect the pins. It's easy for those things to get bent, especially if you have cats that like to walk and rub on things, or even if you just get some dust in the socket - easy to just pluck a piece of dust out of there and bend a pin in the process.

do u have an old chip to test?
might be better to test before using your new chip.

and i will totally ask that friend of yours to pay the losses. :p
cause it really doesn't take an expert to fix minor bend pins... he clearly doesn't know what he's doing... I will say.

Not good contact under higher load and higher voltage can burn pad/pin. It was actually foxconn 1156 sockets issue that is still happening sometimes. Also not good contact may cause memory stability issues or random freezing.
All pins that were bent on my boards were still working fine after unbenting them but last time when I sent my board to RMA for problems with memory I just got it back with replaced cpu socket.
Board on photo won't work on this socket for sure. You can ask if producer's service can replace all socket.

Also not good contact may cause memory stability issues or random freezing.

On the board with the broken socket i had error 15 and then it went straight to 51.

In the manual, error 15 states "Pre-Memory North-Bridge initialization is started.'

In the manual, error 50-55 states "Memory initialization error occurs"

Does this mean i need new memory sticks? :confused:

Building a computer has been giving me headaches :bang head

No, it means the socket was screwed up so it couldn't talk to the memory correctly. Your memory is fine. :)

Thanks =D you really helped. I guessing my CPU and memory will be find. I'm pretty sure the graphics card should be alright also, although i did touch the back of it, and the golden pins on the bottom. I think it'll be alright, right? :confused:

Yup. GPU and memory will be fine.

Touching the back of the GPU is fine, though you should avoid wearing socks, rubbing them on the carpet, then poking your fingers all over the connectors and stuff.

The memory is fine I'm sure.

The CPU is probably fine, but could be toast if the socket pins cooked it. Dropping it wouldn't harm it, unless a chunk was dinged out of the edge pretty well, or unless the pads on bottom were scratched really badly.

Thanks man. I'm getting the motherboard tomorrow, so i'll let you know if everything works. You've been a great help, and I'm new to this site, is there anyway i can like give you good feedback or something like that?

We just do this to help people build their computers and get more out of them basically. If we've done that for you, mission accomplished. :) That's pretty much what this site did for me when I was new, and its why I stuck around to pass the buck on once I figured out a thing or two. Not everyone sticks around to do that, but enough have over the past 14 years or so to keep us going. :)

Sorry for the late post, but everything works! Computer is up and running already =D thanks for all your help =D

oh man i feel stupid for asking another question. Wel i installed windows 7 and it doesnt fit my screen, its smaller. i made the resolution okay and everything. I'm installing an updated driver for my video card hoping that will fit the problem. I'm on a mac, and the driver is .exe. Can i just put the cd in my mac, and burn the .exe file into the CD, or do i have to open it?

If the driver is an EXE, it isn't a driver for mac.

You can fix the scaling issue by configuring scaling options in the settings on your mac, if its available there. Or you can fix it in the monitor settings by using the buttons on your display.

Just copy it over to a flash drive and pop it into your PC to run the .exe file. Much easier. If you don't have a flash drive, then yes you can copy it to a disc and run it that way too.

oh man i feel stupid for asking another question. Well i installed windows 7 and it doesnt fit my screen, its smaller. i made the resolution okay and everything. I'm installing an updated driver for my video card hoping that will fit the problem. I'm on a mac, and the driver is .exe. Can i just put the cd in my mac, and burn the .exe file into the CD, or do i have to open it?

You need a .dmg file extension for it to work on a Mac, .exe doesn't work with Mac. Trust me, I've tried it before, it doesn't work.

Just copy it over to a flash drive and pop it into your PC to run the .exe file. Much easier. If you don't have a flash drive, then yes you can copy it to a disc and run it that way too.

did it on a cd, everything worked out =D

Back