• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can MA790FXT-UD5P do 32gb of ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAmMoen

So I have been looking around the net for an answer to this but I can't find anyone that has done this. Obviously it will do 4x4gb (16gb) but I am wondering if it will do 4x8gb (32gb). Has anyone with this board tried?

Why so much ram, i mean got me curious here on any AMD or Intel 8 gb is the about the norm! AJ.

GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (rev. 1.0)
CPU

Support for Socket AM3 processors: AMD Phenom™ II X4 processor / AMD Phenom™ II X3 processor

Front Side Bus

5200 MT/s

Chipset

North Bridge: AMD 790FX
South Bridge: AMD SB750

Memory

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 1666(OC)/1333/1066 MHz memory modules

Why so much ram, i mean got me curious here on any AMD or Intel 8 gb is the about the norm! AJ.

If I get a big photoshop project open plus having lightroom open plus having nik software open for HDR I can burn through 8 gb of ram no problem. For work it would be nice to have a virtual machine running that is bound to the work domain and to have that running it would be nice to have 4gb. Plus I was looking into taking all of my lightroom library and the raw dslr files I am working on and putting it on a ramdisk for speed. The 32gb of ram was going to aid in that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128377

It supports up to 16GB. That is the max this board is wired for. I don't know if installing 32GB will hurt, but you definitely will not see more than 16GB.

Got ya. I am more used to mac's right now where even though Apple SAYS it can only do a certain amount of ram, you stick in more and it sees it anyways.

GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (rev. 1.0)
CPU

Support for Socket AM3 processors: AMD Phenom™ II X4 processor / AMD Phenom™ II X3 processor

Front Side Bus

5200 MT/s

Chipset

North Bridge: AMD 790FX
South Bridge: AMD SB750

Memory

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 1666(OC)/1333/1066 MHz memory modules

I did see those specs. And since it is an older board I could imagine that when the 8gb modules came out gigabyte didn't want to test this old board with the ram. Just wondering if anyone had tried it against their suggestion and had it work.

Thanks for your input everyone!

I would like to know this too. I use mine as an ESX host. 32 GB of ram would be nice to have. I understand the specs say its handles 16GB, but I have seen some boards surparss their specs from when they were originaly sold.

Well you both maybe waiting a good while since most of those old board chipsets have gone on. Be pure luck if any that visit this forum would still have one in use much less tried 32gig ram in the board.

Back