• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't activate legit Win 7!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I've reinstalled my Win 7 (which I've had since 2010) at least 5 times in the past 4 years. I recently reinstalled and just now it went to activate, and told me my product key was not legit. So I called the automated service, put in the series of numbers it gave me, and it told me that it was not legit.

How do I resolve this problem? What number do I call? I remember this once happened to me with XP and I called some number and the guy on the phone fixed it somehow.

Help needed plz.

When asked how many installs you have used it on did you say 0?

Do what I do, when you get it activated, make a image of your hard drive so the next time you need to reinstall, just pop that image back in.
This happened to me years ago with XP Home, I called MS and someone was able to help me.

call MS Every time I have had this issue they fixed it (make sure you have a Internet connection it makes it 100x easier )

You have to tell representative all your story and they will unlock your key. Or just lie automatic system and tell it you installed it on 1 computer. At least in Poland when you tell that you installed it more than once then you get answer it's not legal.
This automatic system is so bad that you can even activate pirated soft ( of course I won't advice to try it :) ).

call MS Every time I have had this issue they fixed it (make sure you have a Internet connection it makes it 100x easier )

Got the number? It didn't give me the number when I called nor did it give me the direct line to a person number in windows. The automated activation line did, at one point, say "To transfer your call press 1" and I didn't press 1.

Do they mean transfer to an actual person?

I know that. It doesn't tell you how to reach an actual person. It just says to reach the automated number call +++...

I don't want the automated number. I tried it and it failed. I want an actual person.
F(orget) an actual person... it is faster with the automated process... :thup:

Do what I do, when you get it activated, make a image of your hard drive so the next time you need to reinstall, just pop that image back in.
This happened to me years ago with XP Home, I called MS and someone was able to help me.

Is Win 7's inbuilt image back up ok was thinking about doing this myself as I just added a 1TB drive for all my back ups of games music etc

He knows me... and know that isn't true...

(but I'm just giving him the business... I really don't mind that as I know it was in jest. hehe)

Activated.
Called M$, guy asked me if it was my first time installing Windows, I explained my story. He gave me the confirmation number. Easier than I expected.

Back