• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't install windows patch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

champdog

Well I can, but my brother can't. He's at college, and he can't hook up to the network there unless he is patched. When he runs windows update, he gets an error saying the files could not be verified, and the installation stops. When he tries to download the patch and run it (for the Msblast virus) he gets an error saying something about please have cryptographic service running.

What the heck is going on? How can he fix this? By the way, he is running Windows XP Home SP1.

Edit found this link I'll see if that fixes it for him.

Edit: He has done what it says but he doesn't have the patch to see if it works now lol. I guess he will have to try it out tomorrow.

Please say something if you have had this problem before and if that link was how you fixed it (or give alternative solutions in case it doesn't work). Thanks.

Edit again: My brother found the patch on his computer, and he tested it out and all was good :D So if anyone else needs to solve this, go here

Last edited:
Back