• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant keep it cooler than room temp !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarknessEternal

Registered
this just started all the sudden , i general overclock my GTX 760 to 1241 for gpu clock and lock the voltage in but lately its been having a big issue with keeping cool it used to sit at 36C but now it sits at 45C and i have to keep my fan running at 60 percent and ive tried changing the thermal compound to 99 percent polysynthetic silver but it only cooled it by about 2C take in mind this is when its idol with no activity when there is activity it get to about 62C and i have to kick my fans on at 70 to 80 percent to cool it down its never done this before

This GPU is safe up to 90C, and won't cut clocks until 80C.
62C is plenty cool.

oh my record for air cooled is 55C under load while oc'd used alot of that polysynthetic silver and cooling pads on my 650 ti

oh my record for air cooled is 55C under load while oc'd used alot of that polysynthetic silver and cooling pads on my 650 ti

First, that's still way over room temp.

Second, you can't compare temperatures between different series of GPUs.

there not really that different , they use the same architecture in there processor and even so ive never actually had my GPU heat up like that before thats why i was so puzzled like i said even under load ive see it at 55C and thats both cards ive done it with

Darkness,

Your thread title is a statement of fact. Actually it is a generalized statement of the Laws of Thermodynamics.

Couple of things to check to see what changed.

When it was staying cooler, was this during the winter?
What was the room temp then vs. now?
Is your system sitting in a location that is getting direct sunlight (which would raise the temps)?
Was a new/updated GPU driver/OS update installed?
Was any new/updated software installed that is running in the background?
Are any fans partially/fully blocked?
Have any other temps changed?
How long ago did you replace the TIM?
Did you replace the TIM because the temps were high or are the temps high since then?

there not really that different , they use the same architecture in there processor and even so ive never actually had my GPU heat up like that before thats why i was so puzzled like i said even under load ive see it at 55C and thats both cards ive done it with
If I had 5 of the same exact GPU using the same exact voltage and clockspeed testing the same thing, their temps would all be different by a few degrees.

this just started all the sudden , i general overclock my GTX 760 to 1241 for gpu clock and lock the voltage in but lately its been having a big issue with keeping cool it used to sit at 36C but now it sits at 45C and i have to keep my fan running at 60 percent and ive tried changing the thermal compound to 99 percent polysynthetic silver but it only cooled it by about 2C take in mind this is when its idol with no activity when there is activity it get to about 62C and i have to kick my fans on at 70 to 80 percent to cool it down its never done this before

Like others have said, these temperatures are fine. Your card idles about 20-25 degrees above room temperature, about the same temperature as my Titan does. 62C under load is not hot at all -- most cards including mine are usually about 15-20 degrees over that under load.

Darkness,

Your thread title is a statement of fact. Actually it is a generalized statement of the Laws of Thermodynamics.

Couple of things to check to see what changed.

When it was staying cooler, was this during the winter?
What was the room temp then vs. now?
Is your system sitting in a location that is getting direct sunlight (which would raise the temps)?
Was a new/updated GPU driver/OS update installed?
Was any new/updated software installed that is running in the background?
Are any fans partially/fully blocked?
Have any other temps changed?
How long ago did you replace the TIM?
Did you replace the TIM because the temps were high or are the temps high since then?

well it started out of the blu , i changed the thermal compound and that seemed to remedy the issue for about a week then it persisted back to elevated heat levels , so i decided hey maybe i made a mistake so i decided to remove the thermal compound and use the surface preper so i can apply a fresh new thermal compound i applied some Arctic Silver 5 the 99% polysynthetic silver stuff ( brand name ***** i know) used center dot method (personal preference) and i got it down by a few degrees its just bugging me because even when i locking the voltage in after increasing it at idle it would sit at about 35C but now its sits at 44C and when under load it goes up to 60+ C and in the past ive had it sit at 55C underload , and there havent been any changes in environment, i keep my thermostat on auto so all my rooms remain cool , its not near any windows and its got about 8inch clearance on all sides for ventilation

You have lots of room to play with.

62C is still cold for gaming.
Impossible to idle lower than ambient temps, stated many times here ;)
45C for idling is fine, no harm to the GPU at all.

So where's the problem? :shrug:

Well since you put it that way i guess i will ask your opinion as a hardware wizard what should i do in terms getting better cooling , ive done alot of overclocking im just not so smart when it comes to high efficient cooling ive heard lots of cons and pros about water cooling the problem is i would have to get an aftermarket water block for my particular card since EVGA doesn't produce them for the 760 and as far as pumps and reservoirs go im practically clueless

Well since you put it that way i guess i will ask your opinion as a hardware wizard what should i do in terms getting better cooling , ive done alot of overclocking im just not so smart when it comes to high efficient cooling ive heard lots of cons and pros about water cooling the problem is i would have to get an aftermarket water block for my particular card since EVGA doesn't produce them for the 760 and as far as pumps and reservoirs go im practically clueless

I'm no wizard, but I'd love to have 62C for temps.
My cards are usually 80C+.
I even ran my old GT420 at 100C gaming.

If you still want to be cooler, at this point either get a better after-market air cooler, or go liquid.

But IMHO, it's not worth it. Your temps are fine. :)

I'm no wizard, but I'd love to have 62C for temps.
My cards are usually 80C+.
I even ran my old GT420 at 100C gaming.

If you still want to be cooler, at this point either get a better after-market air cooler, or go liquid.

But IMHO, it's not worth it. Your temps are fine. :)

Thank you good sir i appreciate your time , good thing is now i know i can push my card alot harder its just barely sitting at 1,270 Mhz for gpu and the memory clock is barely pushing 3012 mhz ( i know weird number)

Thank you good sir i appreciate your time , good thing is now i know i can push my card alot harder its just barely sitting at 1,270 Mhz for gpu and the memory clock is barely pushing 3012 mhz ( i know weird number)

No problem :)

Push it as hard as you like, just watch the temps. 90C would be the absolute hottest I'd run any card. (Other than that crappy GT420 of mine of course :p )

Back