• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't power up new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pauleduc

Registered
I am looking for some assistance in trouble shooting a new system I just built. Thought it was all ok, until I tried to power up and nothing happened.

When I connect the power cable, a small LED illuminates on the on-board power switch on my ASUS Z87 motherboard. When I turn on the power switch on the Antec HCP-1000 power supply, this LED goes off. At this point, pressing the front panel power-on switch, or the on-board power-on switch, has no effect. No other indicators are on, and no fans are running.

I am wondering if I have all the necessary power cables connected? There is a large 24-pin power cable connected to the mobo to the right of the RAM bank. The other end of this cable is split into two connectors: a 20-pin conn. that I plugged into the MB socket on the PS, and a smaller 8-pin conn. that I plugged into one of the 12V sockets.

There is another cable that I believe is a 12v delivery system for the CPU, that is plugged into the mobo in the upper left near the I/O panel - the other end is plugged into one of the 12v sockets on the PS.

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas to trouble shoot this.

One question: will the PS run without load? That is, will the unit's fan run without any of the outputs connected?

Thanks for your patience.. this is my first build.

24 pin to mobo, 8 pin to mobo as you have it should do it. That is all you need for the CPU and board. Your video card will need the 6+2 pin PCIe plugs.

That units fan will not turn on until it hits a certain temp/load IIRC.

Why a 1KW PSU, how many GPUs do you have? 3?

Did you install the motherboard on the standoffs in the case? Little brass things?

If the LED goes off, then it sounds like you're turning off the PSU and the trying to turn on the PC. PSU won't turn on unless its connected to a Motherboard. You can get it to turn on if you jump a connection.

If the LED goes off, then it sounds like you're turning off the PSU and the trying to turn on the PC.

This is my thought. If the PSU is turned off the motherboard LED won't light up. Switch the switch back so that the LED illuminates then hit the motherboard/case power button.

The PSU switch is more of an enable/disable than an on/off.

Ok, my mistake on that one.. I just assumed that flipping the switch 'up' would be the on condition... Seems the switch was installed upside down.

Anyway, with the PS on, the LED is illuminated on the on-board power-on switch, and at this point, pressing it or the front panel power-on switch has no effect. And there are no other indications (LEDs or fans running) that power is on.

@EarthDog.. I bought this PS because it was highly recommended. At this point, I do not have any graphics cards installed.. Just trying to get this sucker running in basic mode!

Highly recommened by people that want to waste your money is all. With a single GPU, a quality 550W PSU is PLENTY including overclocking the heck out of the GPU and CPU. COuld have saved a lot of money is all by going with something more appropriately sized for your application is all.

Did you install the motherboard on the standoffs in the case? Little brass things?

The case I bought, Corsair C70, already had the standoffs installed in the base. There were no additional ones in the hardware pkg, so I am assuming the board was correctly installed on these standoffs. And there were no insulator washers in the pkg, so the board was installed directly on them.

Arent all PSU labeled with an O and I for off and on, painted on the switch itself?

Yes, you are right.. But as I stated earlier, normally the on position of a switch is in the up position.. This switch is either mounted upside down or the PS is installed upside down.. It is a moot point.. I have turned the PS on and it does not work. I am now looking for trouble shooting ideas. Thanks

Am I having trouble getting my point across? I DID try the on board power switch, and it has no effect. I have also unplugged the front panel header block as well as all other mobo connectors except the two power connectors from the PSU to the mobo.. Still nada! There is a 2-char LED error code indicator on the mobo, and it does not light up either.

Ummm, the second time you didnt mention the switch on the board ( I even quoted what you said)...so I was just making sure. So yes, you are having trouble the second time, :p. Loks like you edited that post. Either way, we are trying to help, don't be a butthead. :)

GL resolving the issue, I'm out.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend.. I am here looking for help and would appreciate any ideas.. This is all new to me.

Edit: I just got off the phone with Antec would gave me a procedure to test the PSU.. Basically jumpering the green tracer wire in the Mobo connector to ground, and the fan started up... So, looks like the PSU IS OK.

Gonna see if ASUS can offer any help...

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't mean to offend.. I am here looking for help and would appreciate any ideas.. This is all new to me.

Edit: I just got off the phone with Antec would gave me a procedure to test the PSU.. Basically jumpering the green tracer wire in the Mobo connector to ground, and the fan started up... So, looks like the PSU IS OK.

Gonna see if ASUS can offer any help...

Bro, with all this free tech support the least you could do is show some respect! :-/

Just because the fan spins doesn't mean its good. When its spun up, you need to test the voltages with a volt meter.

Back