• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't up my cpu/nb frequency???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bburrill2012

Even at stock clock speeds up to any OC I cannot use the cpu/nb multiplier of 11x which is default/stock.

I can boot into windows with a multiplier of 11 which gives me 2200mhz but anytime using Internet Explorer it runs super slow, will freeze on the 1st or 2nd page i go to.. I cant use IE put it that way. And after it freezes on that page, and i click my favorites bar to go somewhere else the http window changes to the new address and the loading circle rotates and stops and stays the page is there but the screen is still on the old page. Everything else but IE seems to work fine i think.

Could there be a setting wrong or something

For example i tried these settings a little while ago.
200x19 @ 1.2625v
cpu/nb 11x 2200mhz
Ht link 2200 mhz
Ram 1866mhz
cpu/nb 1.2v
ram voltage 1.5 with manual timings profile 1
nb voltage on auto
ht link voltage on auto

I cannot use the cpu/nb multiplier of 11x which is default/stock. = IF 2200 is default as you state, then leaving CPU/NB on AUTO would be 2200. Why screw with it?

It would obviously do the same thing leaving me with the same problem. Screw with it because I get better performance with a higher cpu/nb. Just figured Id see if I can raise it so I can bring my fsb down to 200 from 255 to maybe oc a little more with the same voltage and temps.

the 95w FX's default NB speed is 2000.

Thats what i thought. But just wondering if this cpu/nb thing has something to do with my motherboard. Its getting RMA in a day or so anyway for whinning VRMs under load and 2 other reasons. Just wanted to know if the motherboard could be the cause.

Last edited:
The FX CPUs don't like the HT Link and CPUNB overclocked as much as the Thubans and the CPUNB as much as the Phenom IIs.

then how come i can get cpu/nb to 2550 at 255fsb and my ht link to 3300 and it be fine. but i cant do 2200 and 2200 thats whack!

Well, maybe I'm wrong. I don't own an FX CPU but all the feedback that I have seen from others on the forum who do own them seems to indicate that the FX CPUNB typically maxes out at about 2400 mhz. Your experience with being "fine" at 2550 but not a the lower frequency suggests a bios issue to me.

but at 2550 its at the 10x multiplier just at a 255fsb.. with 200fsb i cant even use the 11x multi which would give me 2200. Seems odd.

May be a broken multiplier or bios issue, are you on the latest bios?

trents is correct about HT Link and CPU-NB. Not many of these do more than 2400-2600, just like Phenom II was rather limited to 2600-3200.

Yes latest bios. And i understand that but im not trying to get higher than that, just trying to use a higher multi at 200fsb to cut down on voltage/heat without sacrificing too much performance.

Like i said earlier, probably RMA'ing the board (2nd time) for multiple reasons, just hope that the multiplier thing is an issue with the board and works with the new one.

Like i said earlier, probably RMA'ing the board (2nd time) for multiple reasons, just hope that the multiplier thing is an issue with the board and works with the new one.

I understand your concern. Have you contacted ASRock tech support about this particular issue with the CPUNB frequency? Do you have any idea of this is a known issue with this particular board? Do you find anthing on the net about it?

Tried searching, didnt find anything really. I contacted ASRock but i also mentioned my other issues I was having so they suggested an RMA. They didnt really tell me anything or go into detail with any of the issues, they just forwarded my email to the RMA department.

Such actions are pretty normal in the consumer motherboard sales and repair business at a depot level. Tech already knows the board has issues, no sense wasting time (in their mind) on ancillary issues get hooked up for an RMA.

Tried searching, didnt find anything really. I contacted ASRock but i also mentioned my other issues I was having so they suggested an RMA. They didnt really tell me anything or go into detail with any of the issues, they just forwarded my email to the RMA department.

Back