• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changing NAS harddrive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ztdesigninc

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday my office NAS packed up, apparently the Hard drive went - its not a great loss but obviously needs replacing,

It is a seagate goflexhome - just over 2 years old. Now seagate were no help and wouldn't confirm anything.

But basically I wanted to know If i cracked the case open and swapped the hard drive over to a new Barracuda (thats whats in it at the moment - with this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST1...TF8&qid=1385553423&sr=1-1&keywords=hard+drive) would it work exactly the same as now.

I cant see why not and this way i can just copy all the data over before i but the case back on the hard drive.

whats your thoughts?

Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work... I even downloaded the manual. Says you can just pop a new drive in. Picture shows a standard sata + power plugin.

Only conflicting info I saw was a little blip in an Anandtech review:

Upgrading or replacing a drive at a later date is possible, although you are limited to using one of Seagate's GoFlex drives

Which doesn't make sense because it's just standard sata + power plugs in that picture as well.

Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work... I even downloaded the manual. Says you can just pop a new drive in. Picture shows a standard sata + power plugin.

Only conflicting info I saw was a little blip in an Anandtech review:

Which doesn't make sense because it's just standard sata + power plugs in that picture as well.

Thanks for your answer and that is what I assumed and that is why I am opting for another barracuda (even though they tend to brake more often)

They may have a firmware check to make sure you only use their drives (and maybe even specific drives). I've heard some manufacturers do that, but I don't remember which.

That's why I always buy enclosures and drives separately. Especially RAID enclosures where it's statistically safer to use 2 different drives ideally from 2 different manufacturers (otherwise if you are unlucky, you can get 2 drives from a same bad batch).

Yes I assumed they might have such a check so I have opted to buy the same type (just a better one)

But i will consider you 2 drive solution - the first drive hasn't burnt out just corrupt and obviously i cant run a scan disk on the nas when its enclosed - seagate are a pain!

I took apart my Seagate Backup Plus 3TB that had a ST3000DM001 and swapped it out for a 1TB Seagate ES.2, and it worked just fine. The only thing that doesn't work is the lights on the bottom; it's supposed to tell you how full the drive is, but I guess it's not supported on this drive. Not a big deal for me.

I don't think you will have any problems swapping another hard drive in.

Lol - I never paid much attention to them lights anyway - not until it broke of course :/

So to let all the readers know how i got on and if they want to do it in the future - It worked fine, i brought a 2tb Sata 3 barracuda hard drive from ebay for £47, which effective doubled my space and writing speed, from a company in the midlands. You could use any hard drive (but stay close to the space amount) as the firmware is stored on a flash drive built into the unit.

I then watched this video (
) which showed me how to take the case off - i broke 1 clip and made a few scratches as i used a screwdriver. I got rid of the scratches using a mini kitchen blow torch to re-mould the case (obviously don't hold the flame on for more than a second!) but just smudge with finger.

once the case is opened, you will need to remove the rubber shocks on the side as these cover the hard drives screws, a simple small knife easily does the job!

Once out, plug the defective drive and new drive in to your pc mobo and boot up. For older pc's remember to turn on the sata ports through the bios. (You might need to scan disk first) Once the pc is loaded you will need to format your new drive using either disk management (windows) or disk utility (mac), format as NTFS.

Then simply open the defective hard drive folder and drag the files into your new drives folder. Remember do it in batches, as the computer not allow the transfer corrupt files and its usually quicker to get WHAT YOU NEED FIRST and then take the crap later.

for goflex home - get your user files one by one first (its a folder called users, once opened it has your account names - just drag them into your new hard drive remembering to seed them in a folder called users)

If you are lucky and you are simply cloning a device then just use a free cloning program.

Once you have finished copying over your files, put the unit back together and plug in your the NAS back into your network - with any luck your back-ups and thing will just automatically start working. Mine did :)

Any questions leave a post.

Interview is part of life in all students after study students can search for the job and choose for one company and apply for the job they are call for the interview its common but you can prepare for more than one steps to follow the interviews. Essay writing is must it also include the good writing and communication skills. Professional thesis writing service is to give the good communication and Good knowledge of writing skills are developed for students it is very special writing service. if you want to get good papers for your academic life to see this writing service it will give us the best choice of writing service.

Back