• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Checking RAM Speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

essartee4

Registered
Question. I noticed my Ram speed was low in CPU-Z.

I went into my BIOS, went under "OC tweaker" and saw that my "DRAM Config. was at 1333"

I changed my DRAM Config to DDR3-1600 under "OC tweaker"

Is this the correct way to get the rated 1600mhz out of my ram? How do i know if its running at 1600?

Screenshots:

ram1.png

ram2.png

That first screenshot shows you your speed (divided by two). You adjusted it correctly. You may also need to edit the timings and voltage to your ram's rated settings.

That first screenshot shows you your speed (divided by two). You adjusted it correctly. You may also need to edit the timings and voltage to your ram's rated settings.
Elaborate? im very new to this.

The timings are fine, since they match the XMP-1600 settings shown on the SPD tab of CPU-Z, which are currently at 9-9-9-24-2T. And you can view the current DRAM voltage in the AXTU software that came w/ your board. It's located under the Hardware Monitor tab, and should read 1.5V w/ the DRAM frequency at DDR3-1600.

Last edited:
On AXTU, I do see the voltage @ 1.5V, however do not see DRAM frequency at DDR3-1600 listed.

ram.png

the ss of cpu-z the mem tab is at 800 which is 800x2= 1600Mhz is what your mem speed is at

You will likely have to change your memory timings.

All of this should be done in the bios.

As far as memory temps, they don't really matter. DDR3 runs very cool and unless you are dumping huge amounts of voltage into them they will be running cool to the touch.

For stability testing, you can run memtest if you want to be super sure that your memory is stable. personally, I just do a run or two of Superpi 32m. Good enough for what I do.

You will likely have to change your memory timings.

I agree, but you might as well try it at 1866Mhz and stock timings (9-9-9-24 2T) and see if it's stable. Tighter/lower timings will often give you more improvement than higher clock speeds, so if you have to go to CAS 10 timings to get 1866, I would almost say it isn't worth it.

Still try both, though. Run benchmarks at each set of timings/speed and compare to see what will be the best combination in your system.

Ok so this is my 1st "overclock" of anything so im not sure if im testing this right however here goes...

So i went into my BIOS>OC tweaker Tab>Changed from 1600>1866MHz

Re-booted > Ran Prime.

Screenshots:
1866.png

1866-2.png

Looks like when you changed it to 1866, your mobo changed the timings to 9-11-11-28 (and I'm guessing 2T - can't see the bottom part of the app for the "Memory" tab in CPU-Z). I'm guessing it will be stable there, but I'm thinking you can get better timings than that out of that RAM.

Go back into BIOS under OC Tweaker > DRAM Configuration.
There should be tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS, and command rate (CR). They'll be set to 9-11-11-28 and 2 (or 2T), respectively. Change them to 9-9-9-24 and 2 (your default ram timings). Try to boot and run Prime or memtest86+. If your system doesn't boot, you'll have to either increase timings or increase voltage.

Two things, by the way.
1) I would recommend overclocking CPU first if you'll be doing both. It's easier to find the max stable speed of your CPU with your RAM at stock speed. Takes a variable out of the stability equation and even if you end up not being able to OC your RAM at all after you OC your CPU, you will still see more improvement from CPU OC than from RAM OC.

2) Regardless of which you do first, I would run some benchmarks at stock speeds and then at each "max" OC you find. With these, you can compare later and see what the best option will be (higher ram speed vs lower timings).

You're on the right track. Keep having fun. :D

P.S. Just that first screen shot is necessary. The "SPD" tab in CPU-Z just shows defaults for your mobo/ram, not current settings.

Ok i will take your advice. I put the ram back to stock 1600 for now.

What do you mean by run benchmarks. Everything is back to stock timings now.

I haven't used either recently. I think you need to click Calculate to run Super Pi. Benchmarks are just a measure of how fast your system can perform x activity with the current settings. Just save the results at each set of settings for later comparison.

To use superpi, just click "Calculate" and then select the benchmark that you want. I'd go with 32M and let it complete. Do that a couple times if you want to be even more sure about stability.

Back