• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choose my upgrade option for me please, I have a few but can't decide..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

Choose my upgrade option for me please, I have a few but can't decide..

My current system is on my sig..here are a few upgrade options for me..please tell me which one is best bang for the buck...

1. AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache + CHAINTECH "VNF3-250"
$175+ $82 = $252 single channel ram

2. Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology + ABIT "IS7" i865PE
$179 + $93 = $272 dual channel

or I can replace those mobo with any microATX mobo...cuz my current case is microATX form..and I don't feel like changing the case..are there are good microATX mobo..I should say best microATX that overclocks well?

My third option is get the BIOSTAR "M7NCG 400" (microATX) with a 2500+ and hope it'll long enough all the way through for DDRII/PCI-X on the s939 AMD 64..but I dunno..what do you think.?

i would say hold out on upgrading for a little while more. whenever i really want to upgrade, i force myself to wait a little longer and save up a little more... if you can this is the best way to go so you dont have to make a "lesser or two evils" choice. but if you want to use one of those two options, i would say go AMD

well the A64 is a much better performer then the P4's and they definatly do better in games! but i dont know if you want to get a new case though, but you can get a new one for about $65 w/PSU, the Antec SLK3700AMB, that would have plenty of room and it comes with a very reliable powersupply. So I think that the A64 choice is the best way to go right now, and the s939 DDRII/PCI-X wont be comeing out until next spring at the earliest! so go A64 now and have fun!!

A word of advice, don't get the VNF3-250. I sold mine after about 2 months because it felt lacking, tech support seemed bad (the main support is a non-Chaintech forum with a Chaintech rep who rips on people who have problems with the board,) and there still is no BIOS update to fix the many faults in the BIOS.

If you can find one in stock, get the Epox 8KDAJ board. I like it more than my old NF7-S.

Last edited:
Back