• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing the Right Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BS on the Windows 7 upgrades. Over 50% of Windows PC's are running Win7. Microsoft knows what a mistake Win8 was. I can guarantee Nvidia et all will support DX12 in Win7.

You're going to continue, as of right now, to get Win7 upgrades until at least January 2015 and security updates until 2020. I bet they extend it. My company just left XP (at the end of XP's update period) for Win7 as our standard OS, and we are paying MS for extended XP support. How many major companies are really running Win8? My company is in the top Fortune 15 and I still have to flipping use Explorer 8.

You can't call it Win9, because no one knows for sure what MS will call it.

That is Microsoft's announced date.

Besides, what honest problems do you have with Windows 8?
It's faster, easier to install, runs on more machines, and has a longer support life than Windows 7.

why all the carping over win7 or win 8, win7 will be the past and win8 or 9 will be here.
building new, make the jump to 8, it's like the question 4790k or 4770k......

I will most likely install windows 8 for the time being, just to be safe on those updates. It will be temporary anyway because when windows 9 comes out I will definitely switch!

In August when they bring the "real" start menu back....nothing. I may go back myself. I don't use touch screen. They can keep their tiles. I realize Win8 doesn't require as many resources as Win7, but MS has admitted the external analysts that directed them to the new GUI were totally wrong and Win8 was/is a flop.

I have a license for it, actually a couple and pre-ordered it before it came out, which was a mistake because I ended up getting the 29.95 or 39.95 upgrade deal and used it until recently and never used the license I bought from the Egg. Win8 was NOT designed for normal mouse and keyboard PC's, plain and simple. Just because it is newer does not make it better. Was Windows Millennium better than Windows 98? Vista wasn't a huge improvement either.

Sorry, I'm getting distracted. There is a war now on a Soundblaster Titanium HD sound card I have listed on eBay. There have been like 10 bids in the last minute. Go for it. I'm fine with on board sound. With 3 x 780 TI's, I have no room anyway.

You can't call it Win9. I think MS is going to call it Windows for Suckers. :)

yea, I know all the hassles with 8 and 8.1, but time marchs on and the future gets sooner, I much perfer win 7 but in the very near future even I will cave.

In August when they bring the "real" start menu back....nothing. I may go back myself. I don't use touch screen. They can keep their tiles. I realize Win8 doesn't require as many resources as Win7, but MS has admitted the external analysts that directed them to the new GUI were totally wrong and Win8 was/is a flop.

I have a license for it, actually a couple and pre-ordered it before it came out, which was a mistake because I ended up getting the 29.95 or 39.95 upgrade deal and used it until recently and never used the license I bought from the Egg. Win8 was NOT designed for normal mouse and keyboard PC's, plain and simple. Just because it is newer does not make it better. Was Windows Millennium better than Windows 98? Vista wasn't a huge improvement either.

Sorry, I'm getting distracted. There is a war now on a Soundblaster Titanium HD sound card I have listed on eBay. There have been like 10 bids in the last minute. Go for it. I'm fine with on board sound. With 3 x 780 TI's, I have no room anyway.

You can't call it Win9. I think MS is going to call it Windows for Suckers. :)

Okay, so your one complaint is the UI.
Get ClassicShell and all your problems disappear.

Or maybe I'll switch back to the good ol days of windows 98 :) I believe I still have my who wants to be a millionaire game for 98. I never won the million :(

I like grand prix legends, 1999 release!!! get the 60 fps patch and it's a ball for less than 10 bucks!!

hahahaha! I found some floppy discs a while ago at my parents house. No idea what's on them.

I haven't seen one in a couple of years now.

Shoot, I don't have a CD/DVD drive in any of my computers.
The laptop that stays under my bed and gets used once every three months is the only computer that actually has one.

I remember when they put the first "real" computer in my shop, I think the hard drive was a seagate 400 with a massive 512 megs, big as a toaster, paired with an unheard of 128 megs of ram!!!!!!

To add to the asus problems as far as bad mother boards, if you look in my post history you can see the problems they can cause. Bad RAM slots and just getting fried in general. I went through two of the same models in two years and the repair service took a month. I just purchased a 4770k and will probably be getting the Extreme6

I have allways had asus sabertooth and crosshair boards and no real problems from any.
the problems started when people would put to much processor on to weak of a board.

To add to the asus problems as far as bad mother boards, if you look in my post history you can see the problems they can cause. Bad RAM slots and just getting fried in general. I went through two of the same models in two years and the repair service took a month. I just purchased a 4770k and will probably be getting the Extreme6

my most common issues with board brands were like:

ASRock - no backup BIOS and turned off recovery mode - at least 3 boards with dead BIOS chips

MSI - power section issues - at least 4 boards with burned Dr.MOS

ASUS - various little issues with BIOS but I'm not buying anything non-ROG as I had power section, slots and other quality issues with standard ASUS boards

EVGA - too expensive and every their series have some design flaws so I just try to avoid them

Gigabyte - power section issues mixed with BIOS deaths so I try to stick to dual BIOS with manual switch and recovery

There is really no best motherboard manufacturer but some are just more reliable. Best is to wait some time after premiere and get a board with best comments from overclockers. Regular users don't see some things as they're not using all options and are not pushing hardware to the limits.
Also Intel mobo series for overclocking have usually much longer BIOS support. For some reason no one cares about AMD boards and after 2-3 fixes all others are not really important. Intel OC boards like ROG have at least half year support with various improvements not only "improves stability" what tells nothing and barely anyone saw any improvements.

I disagree. I was worried about Windows 8.1 too, but now that I've used it on a desktop, I kinda like it. it takes getting used to, but I think it's more user preference than a surefire failure. Plus, as ATM noted, Windows 7 supposedly won't support DX12 & will be losing a lot of support before to long.
Considering file explorer and some other aspects that aren't much changed on Windows 8 - necessary for gaming/modding - I don't think it's a bad recommendation for a gaming PC.

You can't call it Win9, because no one knows for sure what MS will call it.

Sure you can, it's a placeholder name, which is necessary to convey an idea. That's equivalent to saying the Xbox One couldn't be called the "720" because no one knew what MS would call it. Windows 9 simply refers to the operating system following Windows 8 - if we couldn't call it Win. 9 until MS officially named it, no one would be able to refer to it. It's speaking in future tense without being able to tell the future.

P.S. If others can't speculate on the future name of Microsofts next OS, I don't know if you should be speculating on Microsofts future support.

Back