• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Clearance between CPU Cooler and RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Guys, usually the clearance between the CPU Cooler / CPU Cooler FAN and the RAM. What is it based on ??

The type of CPU Cooler you use , or it's the type of Motherboard ?

Im planning to get a Corsair Vengeance RAM but problem is the RAM is high as hell , from the looks of now , im using a normal RAM , so its fine , but my CPU Cooler FAN , its just sitting directly above of my RAM now !

How do I know if the Vengeance RAM could fit ??

But im only be using a 8GB Kit , so its a 2X 4GB , currently i had my RAM install on channel " A " , the other 2 channels left are " B "

So if i had my RAM install on channel " B " it will definitely fit ! But thing is

Can i install on channel " B" instead of " A " , since " A " come first then only after " B "

Help anyone ?

Im using a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO CPU Cooler + Asus P8Z77-M Mobo.

A picture would help me better judge this.

From what i can see without actual pictures, the only thing that could potentially become a problem would be the can on the cooler master, but i do really think an actual picture would help.

EDIT : Not the LP , im getting the Vengeance with high heatsink

Ok i went and did a bit more research. I think i found my solution.

As i mention the RAM slots are define by A1 , A2 , B1 , B2. ( The order is starting from CPU Socket position, from left to right )

Now when i got this PC , is being build by the Retail Shop , so he had the RAM installed on A1 and B1 , so the first RAM , A1 its next to the CPU Cooler , which is very tight and might hit the fan with big RAM like the Vengeance , so i read up the manual , actually Asus suggest , even for 1 Channel RAM / 2 Channel , its recommended to install it on A2 ( for 1 Channel ) first then B2 ( if your 2 Channel )

Instead mine is on A1 and B1 which is wrong. I mean its not wrong but it's not following Asus recommendation. But so far nothing has happen , i guess both ways work.

So i guess basically problem solve , i will have my RAM install on A2 and B2 , which the first RAM is further from the CPU Cooler and will not have problem installing big RAM !

It be same like this vid , he too can't install them on the first slot.

But....in future if i plan to have 4 X RAM , i guess i can't use the Vengeance for i think it will hit the CPU Cooler Fan.

But can i mix match Vengeance and Vengeance LP ?? Because what i see online the specs , are exactly the same.

Same Timing , Voltage , Speed , both 2X 4GB Dual Channel kits. So i will have Vengeance with high profile heatsink install on A2 + B2 , while the Vengeance LP install on A1 + B1 , so the heatsink won't collide with my CPU Cooler Fan , think it will work ??

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m2a1600c8.html

http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by...channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cml8gx3m2a1600c9.html

Last edited:
That should work. The only difference between the two sets of ram is the heat sink. The pcb and memory chips are exactly the same. It will look pretty funny in your case having two LP and two regulars, but it will work nonetheless.

That should work. The only difference between the two sets of ram is the heat sink. The pcb and memory chips are exactly the same. It will look pretty funny in your case having two LP and two regulars, but it will work nonetheless.

That's good news then. Well i must admit it will look weird lol , but i guess its unique at the same time. And there's always first time for everything , i guess im the first person to do this mix match :attn:

i don't believe you want to mix these kits; one is a CL9 and the other is a CL8, asking for issues. personally, i found the Vengeance ram to be VERY finicky; doesn't like to OC at all for me and my setup; can't find stable gaming speeds at anything other/above than the XMP profile.

8gb is MORE than enough for average user; i didn't fully read each post to see what needs you have, so a little of an assumption.

on another note, my 2x2gb crucial ballistic tactical CL8 kit will run at 2000mhz speeds at 8-8-8-24-2n at 1.7v or 1866 mhz at 8-8-8-24-2n at 1.63v. very fast and stable, might buy the 2x4gb Crucial kit and replace my Corsair Vengeance 4x4gb CL9 kit.

That's good news then. Well i must admit it will look weird lol , but i guess its unique at the same time. And there's always first time for everything , i guess im the first person to do this mix match :attn:
Maybe but I have seen a few folks who simply, heat up, and pry off the offending heat spreader...:)

Maybe but I have seen a few folks who simply, heat up, and pry off the offending heat spreader...:)

Seriously RAM overheating ? How do you even check your RAM temperature ?

Also if that does happen , why they made the heat spreader in the first place :confused:

Well i have my Vengeance installed , still using my old TX3 EVO Cooler , it does sit pretty close to the cooler even i shifted the RAM slot position.

Basically my cooler is sucking air just in front of my RAM card heatsink and blowing it through the CPU heatsink. Hope it will not affect the cooling efficiency of my CPU , if it does i have to shift the CPU cooler fan then....

But i plan to go for Closed Loop Water Cool , to solve all this , so i can even have 4 X Vengeance :thup:

He didn't say overheating...nor does ram put out hardly any heat. Are you reading the same thread we are? Lol!

He didn't say overheating...nor does ram put out hardly any heat. Are you reading the same thread we are? Lol!

Hmm he did said heat up , isn't that overheating lol ?

How come they made RAM cooler , since RAM isn't that hot , but i still don't think RAM is ever even actually hot to begin with....

I guess RAM cooler its just for " cool " looks ? But i do plan on getting one :p

Sorry for the confusion...as E-dog explains. I have seen where there was no room for the heat spreader, so it was removed. They are generally for passive cooling(Heat Spreader's). If you heat it up with a hairdryer the glue come loose and you can remove the spreader.

A fan can be used instead and will cool them well enough.

In no way am I recommending this. I just know it works if there is no other choice. The system I am referring to is a server Mobo with 4 CPU's. It doesn't put out as much heat as our typical one CPU OC'ed system's

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion...as E-dog explains. I have seen where there was no room for the heat spreader, so it was removed. They are generally for passive cooling(Heat Spreader's). If you heat it up with a hairdryer the glue come loose and you can remove the spreader.

A fan can be used instead and will cool them well enough.

In no way am I recommending this. I just know it works if there is no other choice. The system I am referring to is a server Mobo with 4 CPU's. It doesn't put out as much heat as our typical one CPU OC'ed system's

O i see, well my English suck in the first place , so you have to forgive me for not understanding sometimes , sorry. :eh?:

But overall even with the tall heatsink is blocking my cooler fan slightly everything is fine, cooling efficiency isn't disrupted by the heatsink.

But i must say...that for my GPU , i think its because my sound card its right below the GPU fans....now my GPU seems to be alot hotter than before...it went over 67 celcius ! For as before i remember it barely touches 60 !
O well :shrug: this is a discussion for another topic :-/

But this topic can be close now , but im struggling to decide should i get a closed loop water cooler ? I heard alot problems and complains , i thought they were easy to use and they are very " smooth " :bang head

O i see, well my English suck in the first place , so you have to forgive me for not understanding sometimes , sorry. :eh?:

But overall even with the tall heatsink is blocking my cooler fan slightly everything is fine, cooling efficiency isn't disrupted by the heatsink.

But i must say...that for my GPU , i think its because my sound card its right below the GPU fans....now my GPU seems to be alot hotter than before...it went over 67 celcius ! For as before i remember it barely touches 60 !
O well :shrug: this is a discussion for another topic :-/

But this topic can be close now , but im struggling to decide should i get a closed loop water cooler ? I heard alot problems and complains , i thought they were easy to use and they are very " smooth " :bang head
I have 2 of them and other then the fan dying on one, they cool great.:thup:

Back