• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Command and Conquer 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Picked it up yesterday. Love the graphics. Prettiest RTS I've ever see, methinks. Pretty fast paced and runs like a dream on my system. I'm running at 1600x1200 w/ all settings maxed except for AA. Did the first couple GDI missions last night. Liking it a lot so far.

Got the full version last night and so far I'm loving it :beer:

Just completed ACT I on GDI. My impression is same as it was before. Best RTS that I have played so far, cause it's fast paced and easy to get into. Graphics are awesome and I was surprised that I could run it maxed out with my 2x6800GS's.

Anyways I'm off to play it some more :clap:

BTW, how is Supreme Commander compared to this?

Thinking about picking that up as well.

Supreme Commander is like marmite. You either love it or hate it. I love it, but playing online can be annoying sometimes. Have to get used to it again, it's more intense, put it that way.

I like it alot, but with patch 1.3 they #&*(%# up the LAN play and people keep getting kicked from all games by the lobby bug, so i hope they fix it quick®.

I went out and bought the game yesterday and installed it. Everything went well until I tried to play it. "Please insert the original disc not a backup (1000)"

Checked out there website and it says make sure all virtual drive software is disabled. So I disabled my deamon tools and nero virtual drives. Still no love. So I uninstalled both deamon tools and all of nero. Yay it worked play the first mission. Then went to bed. Got up this morning now same error. Grrr....
Oh yeah also tried the 1.04 (latest patch still no luck)

Any suggestions?

Hope I can get this fixed or I am going to have to take it back to Walmart. How is there software return policy?

Sad thing is I wasn't going to buy this game cause it was $50 bucks, but they had it for $40 so my wife grabbed it and just threw it in our cart. She said it was my easter present. Happy easter me. Except for I can't get the damn thing to play.

I suppose you could use a crack if all you're doing is playing the campaign for the meanwhile. But then again that won't allow you to play multiplayer I don't think, and it's not exactly a permanent solution either.

Its not a horrible game. It runs great got to say that, and the missions are quick paced which feels like a nice accomplishment. Its nice for a quick round or two here and there or if your limited on time and want to play something quick it seems easy to pick up go.

RedDragonXXX said:
BTW, how is Supreme Commander compared to this?

Thinking about picking that up as well.

As NN said it, you either love it or hate it. SC is bigger, more system demanding, and defiantly takes longer to play a mission. SC more or less is an upgraded version of TA for comparison sakes. Takes a while to build up big forces unlike C&C which you can get them very quickly and easily in the game.

Well just finished all the campaigns.

I liked GDI the best, it had the most conclusive storyline and was well done.

Nod seemed to end without any real conclusion or cliff hanger, it just ended, but it had the most information about Tiberium and the aliens (save the alien campaign)

The Scrin were pretty cool, their 4 missions were much more difficult than I expected, although short <20 minutes when completed, it took me more than a couple tries (5+) to beat the missions.

And yay for another RTS expansion... just like SC...

Slimmy said:
I went out and bought the game yesterday and installed it. Everything went well until I tried to play it. "Please insert the original disc not a backup (1000)"

Checked out there website and it says make sure all virtual drive software is disabled. So I disabled my deamon tools and nero virtual drives. Still no love. So I uninstalled both deamon tools and all of nero. Yay it worked play the first mission. Then went to bed. Got up this morning now same error. Grrr....
Oh yeah also tried the 1.04 (latest patch still no luck)

Any suggestions?

Hope I can get this fixed or I am going to have to take it back to Walmart. How is there software return policy?

Sad thing is I wasn't going to buy this game cause it was $50 bucks, but they had it for $40 so my wife grabbed it and just threw it in our cart. She said it was my easter present. Happy easter me. Except for I can't get the damn thing to play.

I finally found away to fix this. Just updated the firmware on my dvd drive.:drool: No more nodvd patch. Only downside is that is is a lot slower loading the game.

Multiplayer here i come.:bday:

Slimmy said:
I finally found away to fix this. Just updated the firmware on my dvd drive.:drool: No more nodvd patch. Only downside is that is is a lot slower loading the game.

Multiplayer here i come.:bday:

Glad you managed to sort it out dude, nothing worse than installing a game which refuses to run properly, have fun on your path to world domination :beer:

Alright! I finished all the story line of the 3 factions all on Hard

Right now im busy trying to beat the computer on Brutal in skrmish, but always one computer scrin faction always does the steamroller stragety and rolls all over the battle field with tripods and airships :(

IKIKUINTHENUTZ said:

Right now im busy trying to beat the computer on Brutal in skrmish, but always one computer scrin faction always does the steamroller stragety and rolls all over the battle field with tripods and airships :(

LOL I have enough trouble as it is on easy. :beer:

I bit the bullet and got the game... I played the first few Nod missions and got bored. Did a few skrimishes and then moved one to online play. Online play is just rushing. It really takes the fun out of the game. Maybe once some player maps and mods make there way out it will be more fun.

IKIKUINTHENUTZ said:

I can't even beat them on medium. I hate how those things outrange everything gdi has... Oh well at least its a challange

I used squads of pittbulls and apc's with rocket squads in them for guard duty to take care of the skrin airships. Yeah they have a loong range but if you set the guard stance for your guys to agressive, they'll run after them immediately. And the pittbulls are cheap to make but I typically send them back for repiars right after each wave so by the end of the battle, they're all at star ranks and rip through those skrin airships shields.

Hm. I might get this game.. I didnt like red alert though.. Or generals.. too many units.. I like more star crafty RTSs where you rape with 1000000 of the same unit.. ( I know it sounds newb but we have ALL done it. ) Can you do that in this CNC?

SeasonalEclipse said:
Hm. I might get this game.. I didnt like red alert though.. Or generals.. too many units.. I like more star crafty RTSs where you rape with 1000000 of the same unit.. ( I know it sounds newb but we have ALL done it. ) Can you do that in this CNC?

you can do that in any rts game, it's the steamroller method or rush if it's the weaker units, or maybe it's both methods put togeter all in a row towards the enemy like a big train of hurt that wont stop comming lol

btw for those who are troubleing with the game on medium, try to have 2 harvesters for every refinery you have, you will get alot more income and if your nod, you have the advantage of mining far away from your base without being knowned, if your scrin, harvesters actually make good sucide units because of the ion storms they make when killed

Btw ill post a scrennie of what im up against when it happens to me again vs computer, I really need a soultion to a horde or airships and tripods when im up agaist the computer

Lots of mammoth tanks! effective against both ground and air.

I bet firehawks would also be pretty good against your airships.

Back