• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Command and Conquer 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
IKIKUINTHENUTZ said:
you can do that in any rts game, it's the steamroller method or rush if it's the weaker units, or maybe it's both methods put togeter all in a row towards the enemy like a big train of hurt that wont stop comming lol

btw for those who are troubleing with the game on medium, try to have 2 harvesters for every refinery you have, you will get alot more income and if your nod, you have the advantage of mining far away from your base without being knowned, if your scrin, harvesters actually make good sucide units because of the ion storms they make when killed

Btw ill post a scrennie of what im up against when it happens to me again vs computer, I really need a soultion to a horde or airships and tripods when im up agaist the computer

If you mean against the scrin bombers that have range on you I threw air to air loadouts on firehawks, 4-8 of them, at the bombers and made myself a little horde of pitbulls. The pitbulls get decimated if you dont take direct control of them during the battles with the bombers. Once you have control over them though they are fast enough to avoid most of those purple bombs by you moving and attacking moving and attacking. Since they're so cheap and fast to produce it doesnt break the bank.

For nod you can use this same strategy with bikes/helis but since stealth harvesters means a more reliable income you can use stealth tanks in place of bikes eventually.

The tripods dont represent as much of a threat, to me at least, as the bombers. For those I simply made a few rigs and deployed them as battle bases around my perimeter and stuck a couple mammoth tanks near them as well as a few light anti infantry vehicles. I always keep a commando in reserve as well so if they overrun one of those positions I can take them out with the commando while reinforcements are enroute.

For nod those light shrine base defense towers reinforced with a squad or two of powerful decent ranged units or even rocket infantry you just zerg into them usually thwarts tripod attacks. No matter what faction I'm playing I ALWAYS take those destroyed units over with engineers and use them to reinforce base defenses as they are far too slow for assault for my taste in tactics. Doing this ensures a nearly impregnable base defense after their first few assaults.

From what I read in your posts we seem to be at about the same point in the game although I dont really play multiplayer with RTS games unless its with friends since pub games are rush rush rush and I love the base building aspect but I'm sure you've already tried these tactics in SP and if they didnt work it was probably a positional problem. It takes me a lot of micromanagement to make these strats work like remembering to set every zerg wave of rocket troops slightly in front of my light shrines so they take the brunt of the attack but also remembering to set them to "stand ground" so they dont run out of range of the towers to meet the attack and get slaughtered. Forget to set one wave to stand ground and they get decimated without aid of the tower and the towers share their fate without the troops and next thing you know your base is getting its day ruined.

Anyways I'll stop explaining the game to people who already know this crap before I needlessly give myself carpel tunnel :) Those bombers were a problem for me too and fast moving anti air units like the pitbull and bike were hard for them to hit with me controlling them. I hope this helps.

Sheepeeshaun said:
I played the demo and I have to say that I think it's great! I must be rusty when it come to RTS though cause I can't beat the PC on medium level in the skirmish level :eek:

Me too. I downloaded the demo a couple of days ago. I've been playing skirmish on easy to get the feel for this particular iteration of the series. But "easy" was getting too pitifully easy, so today I figured I'd try medium. I've tried 4 times and have gotten OWNED each time. Badly. Going to try a different strategy later and see what happens. But Jesus, I can't even fathom Hard and Brutal at this rate.

hmmm I've kinda been wondering how everyone liked the skirmish mode on this?
I remember my first rts.... Dune! one of th best games i ever played... cnc to me was a clone of dune :) Regardless I've always loved the CnC series and I REALLY loved total annihilation... played the demo of Supreme Commander and didn't really care for it I dunno why maybe I just didn't play it long enough.

The AI is incredibly difficult. At first i had trouble beating medium enemies, now after awhile i can beat a hard one most of the times (depending what character i set him to - a rusher can be tough at the start),but brutal 1v1 - no, he'll kill me :)

Im surprised of all the positive feedback suddenly...considering the initial impressions on here about the Demo

SteveLord said:
Im surprised of all the positive feedback suddenly...considering the initial impressions on here about the Demo
Differant people, differant opinions :beer:. Although I am one of those that did not like the demo at all. At least one of my friends has it, though. May borrow it once I get out of school to run through the campaigns.

Just beat the GDI campaign over the weekend. It was a blast. Locking down base D with mammoths is nasty. Sending a rush just to have it break against a big wall of mammoths backed up by rigs makes me laugh sometimes.

GDI seemed to me like a turtler's dream. If you can tech up quickly, you can start cranking out the mammoths along with some rigs and a few juggernauts for good measure, and you've got a nasty force to reckon with.

I'm starting the Nod campaign... up to act 3 now. I'm liking the base design possibilities, though their unit properties don't seem to lend themselves as well to steamroll tactics unless you're queueing up 50+ units per attack force (which I've been doing. ;))

They're fun to play, though, I'm envisioning playing in a LAN setting w/ some buddies. Just been pondering how to break a big mammoth push like the one I described above. The only thing I figured would be that you just might have to keep a huge amount of fanatics on hand to break a mammoth train headed your way... that and send the stealth bombers to hit the rig(s). :p

Wow Ive never expect so much people saying this game is hard :(

Imo I think it's really easy game on hard and Brutal and I found out a way to beat the Scrin mass airships (not the bombers but their carriers) and tri-pods with either factions. Micro management is really nessitary to deal with a large force of mammoths, Tripods/airship combos, or Avatar/distraction combos.

The only thing that I do not like is the GDI railgun upgrade, it's seriously makes the game match unblanced however nod does have a certain unit that can easily overpower mammoth tanks even if they have the railgun upgrade ;)

The later missions in the GDI campaign weren't terribly hard. I did the majority of the missions on normal, just to enjoy the story w/o banging my head against one particular mission. The one that did get me to tune the difficulty back to easy was in the Eastern Europe part of the GDI campaign... the mission where you needed to keep all your engy's alive to do the bonus objectives. I kept losing my APC's. I finally just camped the bridge for a good while until all my vehicle units were hero rank. Made the rest of the job worlds easier.

Was playing last night with the avatars. I'm up to Australia now in the Nod campaign. Pretty fun so far. I'll start cranking up the difficulty in skirmishes after I finish the story to get my skills up. Time to start putting the word out to some of my buddies to get this game so we can LAN with it. heh

So what trumps Mammoths? Hordes of Beam Cannons? :p

IKIKUINTHENUTZ said:
Wow Ive never expect so much people saying this game is hard :(

Imo I think it's really easy game on hard and brutal ...

Really now, care to share?

YellowDart said:
Hordes of Beam Cannons? :p

Man, those things remind me of the prism tanks in Red Alert 2 (Those were so massively overpowered). But they seem a little slower in firing though, and I don't think the beam spreads out like the prism tanks did. Though I've only used beam cannons once, so I could be missing some things.

Sorin said:
Man, those things remind me of the prism tanks in Red Alert 2 (Those were so massively overpowered). But they seem a little slower in firing though, and I don't think the beam spreads out like the prism tanks did. Though I've only used beam cannons once, so I could be missing some things.

Yea, just a shot in the dark. I had access to them on my last mission I did in the Nod campaign (Sarajevo), but I didn't crank them out. Went with Venoms and Avatars. They do have range on Mammoths, though, don't they?

Back