• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compaq Presario motherboard replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

envaneo

Registered
I'm somewhat of a noob to motherboards etc. Here's the problem:

I have a Compaq Presario SR1500NX. This computer was new when I bought it in August of 2005. It came with 256 Ram. I installed 1Gb of Ram 2 years ago. It works fine but now I want to use it for gaming. The current motherboard seems to be a Asus A7V8X-LA motherboard. Product #PX786AA.

Here's what I'd like to do: I'd like to keep the original case and take out the original motherboard and replace it with something else that's compatible with the case. AMD or Intell is ok. I'm running Windows Xp. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to go about this.

Thanks

:welcome: to OCForums!

I think that's a mATX board, so if you replace it with an mATX, then you'll definitely be okay. But, the question is: What case do you have?

What motherboards you can use will depend on your case.

I'm somewhat of a noob to motherboards etc. Here's the problem:

I have a Compaq Presario SR1500NX. This computer was new when I bought it in August of 2005. It came with 256 Ram. I installed 1Gb of Ram 2 years ago. It works fine but now I want to use it for gaming. The current motherboard seems to be a Asus A7V8X-LA motherboard. Product #PX786AA.

Here's what I'd like to do: I'd like to keep the original case and take out the original motherboard and replace it with something else that's compatible with the case. AMD or Intell is ok. I'm running Windows Xp. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to go about this.

Thanks
With any mobo change you will need to re-install the OS as funny issues will occur, if it even boots at all.

If you still want a new mobo you're going to have to upgrade eveything else. Your old ram wont be compatible, cpu, GPU? (will be rubish anyway). Why not build a whole new system? The case probably has poor air flow.

I just realized that's a Socket A motherboard with AGP.

I doubt you'll be able to find a Socket A motherboard, unless you buy used on ebay. My suggestion would be to save money to buy a new system. You'll have to change everything: mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU (no AGP mobos), and probably PSU; you can keep the case though :rolleyes:

:welcome: to OCForums!

I think that's a mATX board, so if you replace it with an mATX, then you'll definitely be okay. But, the question is: What case do you have?

What motherboards you can use will depend on your case.

Thanks everyone for the informative replies. I'll reply to all in a bit I want to keep the case. Can I post a link to a photo of the case?

:welcome: to OCF!

After reading your last blog entry I can understand why you want to keep the case. We still don't know, from the pic in your blog, what size motherboard it can accommodate. Since it's a pre-built machine and the board is an mATX then, chances are, you'll have to stick with that size.

That would drastically limit your board choices, however, so it would be helpful if you could at least inspect inside the case to see if there is an extra 2.5" (60-70mm) between the board and the floor of the case (assuming the PSU is above the board). There should also be some board mounting screw holes visible below the bottom edge of the board - assuming the case will handle a standard ATX (not mATX) board. Or if you can post a pic of the inside that would be good, too. ;)

Considering your existing system and the games you're looking to play I'd say it is time for an upgrade - but you need to find out about the motherboard size before you can go much farther toward planning your new system ...

:welcome: to OCF!

After reading your last blog entry I can understand why you want to keep the case. We still don't know, from the pic in your blog, what size motherboard it can accommodate. Since it's a pre-built machine and the board is an mATX then, chances are, you'll have to stick with that size.

That would drastically limit your board choices, however, so it would be helpful if you could at least inspect inside the case to see if there is an extra 2.5" (60-70mm) between the board and the floor of the case (assuming the PSU is above the board). There should also be some board mounting screw holes visible below the bottom edge of the board - assuming the case will handle a standard ATX (not mATX) board. Or if you can post a pic of the inside that would be good, too. ;)

Considering your existing system and the games you're looking to play I'd say it is time for an upgrade - but you need to find out about the motherboard size before you can go much farther toward planning your new system ...
Thanks, I will post some pics later this morning

@ QuietIce:

I posted 4 images on my recent blog for you to take a look at the best one for determining the size of the case would be the one witht he coffee cup, with the broken handle

http://www.jim-shannon.com/

Hope these would provide you with some ideas as to the size of the case which is roughly 15 by 15 inches. PSU is above the board

I'm looking to buy a Crosshair Extreem board. I'm not affiliated with this site but here's what the board I'm interested in getting looks like from a local dealer.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX28715(ME).aspx

There are i think 2 mounting screws on the bottome and three on top and 2 on th back side.

Thanks

If the board pictured is the Asus A7V8X-LA as noted above then that case will only take an mATX motherboard. The board that's there is 9.6x9.6" (244x244mm) but full ATX boards like the Crosshair are 9.6x12" (244x305mm). As you can plainly see there just isn't room past the bottom of your existing board for that extra 60mm. :shrug:

You'll need to make a decision to either change cases or settle for an mATX board ...

^ Thanks for your generous feedback, its greatly appreciated. Where would I find a resource for such boards and are any such boards available today?

I want to play games like WOW, Civ 5, Starcraft 2 but my board has only 2 Ram slots and can't support the recent graphics cards like the ATI RadeonHD 3800.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Last edited:
evaneo,

Many of us who build our own systems here in the USA usually buy our components from NewEgg.com. Where do you live? What board you choose, other than making sure its a micro ATX will depend on many things such as how much you want to invest and what CPU you intend to pair with it. Also, you will likely need to look at replacing your power supply. Those box store computers like Dell sells have very minimal PSU's that usually only cover the power demands of the guts they put in the case. Anything more demanding will overwhelm the PSU.

Last edited:
^ Thanks for your generous feedback, its greatly appreciated. Where would I find a resource for such boards and are any such boards available today?

I want to play games like WOW, Civ 5, Starcraft 2 but my board has only 2 Ram slots and can't support the recent graphics cards like the ATI RadeonHD 3800.

Any ideas please?

Thanks
mATX boards are readily available, that's not a problem.

What we need to know is some kind of budget to make any concrete suggestions. I know there are some good Canadian computer stores, including Newegg.ca, that have more options than the one you linked earlier.

For gaming (mild Internet usage doesn't count) and keeping a mid-range budget I'd suggest the fastest Phenom II X2 (a dual-core) you can afford - though if you plan on using this machine as long as you did the last one you might consider spending more for a quad. Most current games don't use more than two cores but that's quickly changing as game programmers catch up to the hardware. In three years I'd expect most games to run at least four cores - maybe more. Other parts will depend on your choice of store and your budget.

PS
Are you considering overclocking your machine or leaving it stock? Overclocking parts cost a little more but you also get more performance out of your hardware. It's your choice, it's just one more consideration when picking the correct parts ...

evaneo,

Many of us who build our own systems here in the USA usually buy our components from NewEgg.com. Where do you live? What board you choose, other than making sure its a micro ATX will depend on many things such as how much you want to invest and what CPU you intend to pair with it. Also, you will likely need to look at replacing your power supply. Those box store computers like Dell sells have very minimal PSU's that usually only cover the power demands of the guts they put in the case. Anything more demanding will overwhelm the PSU.
@ Quiet Ice: I realize the power supply will need to be replaced. I'm probably looking at 5-800WT psu.

I'll have to check on Newegg.ca

I don't know about overclocking just yet.

Just a heads up. I'm being a bit sneaky here. The reason why I want to keep the case is because I want to build a new PC from the inside out. I don't want my wife to know I'm doing this. We both use the laptop and the desktop is more or less idle. So i plan on putting a liittle into the desktop at a time ending with the psu and the graphics card. The desktop is going to be used mainly for gaming and music production software like Cakewak's Sonar and Cubase 5. The laptop is for Internet, writing, that type of thing.

Do you know if Cakewalk (had a friend that used that a LOT) and Cubase use more than two cores? Cakewalk didn't three years ago but those kinds of programs (professional, semi-professional) change faster than games do. For instance, Photoshop has been multi-core for awhile now. It could make a big difference in your processor choice ...

Another thing to keep in mind is OEM's tend to use propriatary connectors for the front panel connections so you will probably have to modify them to use with a new motherboard.

Another thing to keep in mind is OEM's tend to use propriatary connectors for the front panel connections so you will probably have to modify them to use with a new motherboard.

The more recent (i.e., post-2000ish) Compaq front panel connectors are as close to a standard as there is, from the Intel Front Panel Connectivity Guide recommendation... most boards use the same connector layout anymore.

@QuietIce: I don't think Cakewalk/Cubase, uses a lot of cpu. They're more Ram oriented but the "new system" is mostly for gaming. Basicaly it'd be 60% gaming 40% "music production."

Would you know if any of these mb's would fit my case and would these mb's accomodate (psu considerations of course) my current case? The cpu you mentioned above is something i need to look into.

http://www.newegg.ca/Store/Category.aspx?Category=20&name=Motherboards

@ Jam: Something else to consider. Thanks

@Old thrash: I could jusst leave the old connectors on the case "for show"

Last edited:
Back