• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compaq Presario motherboard replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After you select "AMD" or "Intel" on the left you can filter the motherboards by form factor. Choose "More Options" at the bottom of the box on the left, then at the bottom of the next box will be "Form Factor" with a drop down menu, select "Micro ATX" and those motherboards should fit in your case.

I'll be able to give more specific suggestions when I'm off work.

Since mATX boards are relatively inexpensive compared to ATX boards I'd probably recommend the Biostar TA890GXE ($115). The 890GX chipset is one of the best (which usually means the other on-board components are higher quality), the board's power system (MOSFETs) have a heatsink on them, and the board will handle any CPU up to 140W. IMO, all those make it as good or better than most mid-range ATX boards. (PS - There are cheaper boards but I wouldn't count on them lasting 4-5 years.)

For the processor, that depends on how much you want to spend. The 560BE ($109) is a dual-core and, at 3.3 GHz, is as fast as stock dual-cores can get. The 970BE ($195) is a quad and runs 3.5 GHz, while the 1090T ($253) is a six-core and runs at 3.2 GHz but will automatically boost itself to 3.5 GHz if only 1-3 cores have a high work load. If it were me looking 3-5 years down the line to the next machine I'd buy as much CPU as I could. (BTW - I checked and Cakewalk has been multi-threaded since, I think, v3.1.) Another option would be the Athlon II 645 ($121) at 3.1 GHz. It's slower than the other CPUs listed and doesn't have L3 cache (second-stage on-die memory) but it's also less money while still being a quad.

Add in $150-190 for a good PSU and 2x2 Gb of RAM and that covers what I call the basics - anywhere from $375-560 depending on your exact choices. All four of those would have to be upgraded at the same time. (Well, you could buy the PSU first - I think it'll work with your existing hardware - then the CPU, board, & RAM in one shot.) Your existing video card probably wouldn't fit the new board but it has on-board video that's probably better then what you have now, so you could wait to get the video card at a later date if you wanted/needed to do that.

I've tried to pick components based on your gaming & music editing needs and I've also taken into consideration that it may be another 4-5 years before you invest in your next computer. I picked the fastest CPU in each class based on the assumption you would not be overclocking, though the cost wouldn't change much, overall, or would go up (as would your performance). Hopefully this list will help you weed out the less desirable choices and point you in the right direction for a solid, long-lasting machine ... :)

Last edited:
@ MattNo5ss: Thanks for the instructions. I have Thursday off to check into this further.

@ QuietIce: Great stuff. I checked into the details of the Biostar and it has a Realtek sound card. Also, is there a SATA adapter for my current hard drive on the Mb, to keep the work load down to a minimum on my part? My laptop and Cakewalk have issues with Realtek sound card. Anything other then Realtek you can suggest in these boards?

I like the 1090T cpu and that price range isn't that far out of reach. AMD makes top line products.

Your suggestions are ones I can live with except Realtek.

Thanks

I think I found three ASUS boards, all with a cheaper chipset and no MOSFET heatsinks, that used a VIA audio chip but everything else I looked at had a Realtek chip of some kind or other. If you've got an issue using Realtek in general then I'd suggest a separate sound card. (I'm surprised you don't already have one.) Creative Labs Audigy is ~$40 and the Creative Labs X-Fi's or ASUS Xonar's start at around $60 and go up from there. If nothing else you can add the sound card if the on-board sound turns out to be a problem ...

@ QuietIce: I've been using a Cakewalk's Sonar since about September of this year. Prior to September I couldn't tell you what DAW meant or any of this stuff but as i got into it I became more interested. Now its a new hobby. I didn't even know until just recently what soundcard was in my laptop because I didn't care.

I was told by the retail outlet i got the m-audio interface that the new hardware would be my new sound card for this sort of thing.

http://www.jim-shannon.com/

Thats a double A battery for picture scale purposes.

Looks like you've got that solved. Be sure to go into BIOS and disable the on-board sound if you're not using it.

Just as a note, that board has one IDE port so it can handle two IDE devices using a dual cable ... ;)

^ If I go into the Bios and disable the onboard soundcard, wont dissabling prevent any new Sound card from working?

I've had sound cards for many, many years. (My first was an SB-16. ;)) Until the last few years on-board sound wasn't very good. All disabling on-board sound should do is disable the sound chip that's on the motherboard. Any sound card/device you add to a PCI slot or USB port would be unaffected. If you don't disable on-board sound then your machine will see more than one source for sound, which can lead to problems ...

Back