• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer just emits ~12 beeps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thezfunk

Registered
Hey guys,

Came back to AMD and now I am having problems. I think I did this to myself but I need some advice. (1090T Thuban, GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5, Mushkin 8GB ram)

Last night I used AOD to try and find max stable on my system. I checked the 'Over volt' box. As soon as I hit start the PSU fan just cranked faster than I have ever heard it go and the system locked up. I stopped it as quick as I could. Tried to reboot and it wouldn't. It just sat there and beeped. I counted the beeps and I counted ~12 short beeps. Sometimes it was 11 and sometimes it was 13. I pulled the ram out (4x2GB). Tried none and then each stick individually. Same thing. Tried to find beep codes and couldn't find a good resource. Checked the MB manual and it said if I have continuous short beeps it's a power issue. I grabbed another PSU and hooked it up. It did the same thing. I am lost at this point. So did I fry the proc, the ram, or the MB? I don't have extras of those three to check.

Did you remove the cmos battery from the board? Leave it out for a while (5min-30min) as this will clear the bios and reset everything back to default. Place battery back into the board, plug psu back into wall, wait 2 minutes then fire it up and see.

Unplug the psu from the wall prior to removing the cmos battery.

Did you remove the cmos battery from the board? Leave it out for a while (5min-30min) as this will clear the bios and reset everything back to default. Place battery back into the board, plug psu back into wall, wait 2 minutes then fire it up and see.

Unplug the psu from the wall prior to removing the cmos battery.

Now it doesn't beep. It starts and does nothing. Holding the power button in no longer turns off the PC. I have to turn off the power switch on the back of the PSU.

That doesn't sound good! Especially if you already tried swapping out the PSU.

Probably a few days late but try booting holding the insert key. This can force it to re identify the CPU. It might take several tries.

Back